Solved

Can you have two IHDs?

• 14 January 2018
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 1
Hi can you have two ihd's connected to your smart meters? Would be great to be able to monitor my usage in my front room and in the kitchen.
icon

Best answer by Nancy_OVO 15 January 2018, 18:34

Hi can you have two ihd's connected to your smart meters? Would be great to be able to monitor my usage in my front room and in the kitchen.

Hey @Llamedospete!

That's a great question, and I'm sure it's theoretically possible as it's just a network similar to Bluetooth.

However, it's not something we'd offer as a service. We provision to supply all our customers one IHD each and wouldn't offer another unless the first was faulty or became damaged.

If you had an IHD from a previous supplier that happened to be compatible with our systems, we'd also be wary of connecting it as we can't be 100% certain the device is secure, or where the data is going.

Hope this helps,
Nancy
View original

3 replies

Userlevel 2
if you have a smart phone then you can check some data using the ovo app once the IHD is connected to your wifi (if you have wifi!)

However, it doesnt give all the same info as the IHD but its better than nothing.
Userlevel 6
Badge

Hey @Llamedospete!

That's a great question, and I'm sure it's theoretically possible as it's just a network similar to Bluetooth.

However, it's not something we'd offer as a service. We provision to supply all our customers one IHD each and wouldn't offer another unless the first was faulty or became damaged.

If you had an IHD from a previous supplier that happened to be compatible with our systems, we'd also be wary of connecting it as we can't be 100% certain the device is secure, or where the data is going.

Hope this helps,
Nancy
I currently have two IHD devices connected ... Each of these were both paired by different engineers ... I also read that a minimum of 4 devices should be allowed to connect to the HAN as the longer term objective is for smart devices to exchange information and intelligently control each other. Ovo may not currently allow consumers to pair the devices however though again I think the government recommendation is that this should be allowed by consumers at some stage.

The Pipit 500 devices are available online at reasonable prices but may not have Ovo firmware or branding and can’t currently be paired by consumers.