Solved

Can I reset 'estimated bill' on Pipit 500 In Home Display (IHD) so I can see my costs, month to month?

• 16 February 2018
  • 8 replies

I have had a smart meter since 2015 but cannot get the amounts used to reset at the end of each month so is basically a waste of time, other than I no longer need to send meter readings. Is there any way I can rectify this so that I can actually see my costs on a month to month basis? Should it not start with a zero, charge or credit after my payment has been made?
icon

Best answer by Paul 18 February 2018, 11:54

No, that’s how it works. It will only ‘reset’ when you start a new contract. Even then, the units won’t reset to zero, just the usage to date. To get the most out of the smart meter, use the IHD and the app/website. The IHD is best for current day’s usage, and the app/website for looking at monthly or historic usage.
View original

8 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge
No, that’s how it works. It will only ‘reset’ when you start a new contract. Even then, the units won’t reset to zero, just the usage to date. To get the most out of the smart meter, use the IHD and the app/website. The IHD is best for current day’s usage, and the app/website for looking at monthly or historic usage.
I have the same problem / concern. And when I phone OVO Customer Service, I was told that the IHD resets every month, so at the default screen, it should show you running costs as you use electricity during the day and week.

So the question is: does it or does it nor reset (once the cutoff is reached and bill genereated)?
Userlevel 7
Badge +2
Paul nailed it @polskasweetie - this only resets when there's a tariff change.

Tim
Hi. I have a smart meter (white and says secure on the front). It only gives me the amount of electricity and gas I’ve used since it’s installation. I would prefer how much I’ve used per billing month. How can I change this? Thanks
Setting a Smart Meter to zero usage to start a new year. I have found it is not possible to set my smart zero to show monthly readings for the current year, the reading is accumulative from when the smart meter was first turned on so at a glance "what have I used so far this year" readings are not possible, you have to work it out. In my opinion a zero option at the start of the year should be standard, the smart meter isn't so smart after all!
Userlevel 6
Badge +4
Hi @Eric,

I've moved your post to this thread. You should be able to find your answers above!

Nancy
we have been supplied by ovo for a few years now and finally went over to a smart meter...work done quickly no complaints ....BUT the one thing that is REALLY *issing me off is that the dumb ihm will not reset each month just adds up ...now is this really a SMART meter or not and it is no good saying oh just access your account ..I DO NOT WANT TO DO THAT that is why i had one of you so called smart meters installed in the first place....frightens the life out of you when you check usage£1092.98 WHAT in a month!!!!!! god knows i dear not look at the gas usage!!!!
Userlevel 6
Badge +4
we have been supplied by ovo for a few years now and finally went over to a smart meter...work done quickly no complaints ....BUT the one thing that is REALLY *issing me off is that the dumb ihm will not reset each month just adds up ...now is this really a SMART meter or not and it is no good saying oh just access your account ..I DO NOT WANT TO DO THAT that is why i had one of you so called smart meters installed in the first place....frightens the life out of you when you check usage£1092.98 WHAT in a month!!!!!! god knows i dear not look at the gas usage!!!!

Hi @telephone-man,

I've moved your post to this thread where you should be able to find the information you need.

Hope this helps,
Nancy