Solved

Can I change the default estimated bill screen of my Pipit 500 In Home Display (IHD)?

i have a smart metre and it is great for checking your usage but i pay by monthly DD and the metre doesn't reset one ive paid my bill so it looks like I owe. is there anyway of changing this so it only shows the actual balance?
icon

Best answer by Tim_OVO 19 May 2017, 11:32

i have a smart metre and it is great for checking your usage but i pay by monthly DD and the metre doesn't reset one ive paid my bill so it looks like I owe. is there anyway of changing this so it only shows the actual balance?

Hi @Natty618 and thanks for sharing this query!

@Mattj3135 is living up to his title of superuser with his reply. Check out those links in his comment for all the info you need on the In Home Display (IHD).

It's not possible to change the homepage of the IHD - it will always default to that estimated bill screen. As it saves energy by turning off after a minute or so of no activity, this doesn't make too much of a difference anyway. Use the link that Matt sent (above) to learn how to get to the other pages of the display.

Hope this helps,
Tim
View original

13 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +4

Hi @Natty618 welcome to the forum and thanks for posting,

You've raised something covered in another thread which can be found here: https://forum.ovoenergy.com/pay-monthly-21/estimated-gas-bill-isnt-resetting-after-the-first-month-152

From what I gather the estimated screen won't reset however the other data will be available to view in day, week, monthly mode.

You may also find these links helpful: https://www.ovoenergy.com/ovo-answers/topics/smart-technology/smart-meters/what-is-an-in-home-display-ihd.html

https://www.ovoenergy.com/ovo-answers/topics/smart-technology/smart-meters/what-do-the-buttons-on-my-in-home-display-screen-mean.html

Hope these help you - do feel free to ask any further points you have 🙂
Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Hi @Natty618 and thanks for sharing this query!

@Mattj3135 is living up to his title of superuser with his reply. Check out those links in his comment for all the info you need on the In Home Display (IHD).

It's not possible to change the homepage of the IHD - it will always default to that estimated bill screen. As it saves energy by turning off after a minute or so of no activity, this doesn't make too much of a difference anyway. Use the link that Matt sent (above) to learn how to get to the other pages of the display.

Hope this helps,
Tim
Userlevel 3
Badge
My IHD didn't reset even though I was told it would after I signed for another year, to me it was as much use as a chocolate teapot It's now residing at the local council tip.
I never looked at it and it was just using electricity needlessly.
I ended up getting one of these from Amazon and it gives me all the relevant real time information I need 24/7.
I have a Secure Smart Meter

When I press the screen I get a screen headed "Dual Fuel" with an estimate for both electricity and gas. I have no idea what time period these estimates relate to as they seem to have no correlation to my monthly bills. If I press the A/C tab on the screen it takes me to the current usage screen. Now this screen is more helpful because as it shows what is being used and I could take steps to reduce usage by turning things down or even off.
Could this Current Usage Screen be made in to the Home screen? It would make things so much easier,
Userlevel 7
Badge +2
I have a Secure Smart Meter

When I press the screen I get a screen headed "Dual Fuel" with an estimate for both electricity and gas. I have no idea what time period these estimates relate to as they seem to have no correlation to my monthly bills. If I press the A/C tab on the screen it takes me to the current usage screen. Now this screen is more helpful because as it shows what is being used and I could take steps to reduce usage by turning things down or even off.
Could this Current Usage Screen be made in to the Home screen? It would make things so much easier,

Afraid not @davidwarman - check out the 'best answer' (at the top) for more info.

Tim
Hi Folks,
How do I make the OVO In Home Display stay on "Usage Now" as this setting is the one I find most useful.
Thanks
Hi Charlie...this is a difficult one!
I have been with OVO since October.
My IHD never gives me a daily reading.
I have reported this to OVO 8-10 times.
They don’t seem to understand that this is the most important bit of info I need to save money on a daily basis.
They always say “they will look at the problem”,but never do.
Also,I have never spent so much on gas/electricity usage since I’ve been with OVO.
The IHD is always 30-40% more usage and cost compared to the app....again,OVO failed to respond!
The IHD re-sets itself at midnight every night.
At 1 min past midnight...my costs go straight to 65p!!!....why I wonder.
When I was with British Gas,my cash cost every morning between midnight and 8:00am(the time I got up) was only ever a Max of 70p.
Now it alway shows at least £1:50 by 8:00am.
There is something wrong somewhere....OVO won’t listen,and I am seriously thinking of leaving them after only 8 weeks!!!
Userlevel 7
Badge +2
Hi @Charlieapps1, I've moved your question here as the information on this topic might help.

Comment below if you have any other questions.

Darran
Sh1t !!!!!!
Have zero confidence in OVO smart meters.
What's the point in an In House Display that doesn't display what you're currently using ?
British Gas here I come !!!!!!
Can anyone tell me why my gas seems to be showing high on the smart meter when the heating isn't on? The heating went off at 8.30am and the smart meter is still saying high for gas!
Hey @pogojump369

It sounds like you're referring to your In Home Display unit - so I've just moved your query over to an existing topic on IHDs.

Your IHD unit will allow you to set targets to help you use less energy and save money. When you get your In Home Display unit, it will often have a pre-set target on there. If this is set really low compared to your actual usage, this usage will show as 'high'.

To change this target - just go to the 'settings' option on your IHD.

Hope this helps,
Emily
My son has a BG meter and it shows the amount being used at the time and how much it is costing on that day in real time. It displays constantly. My ovo meter defaults to a random, huge estimated bill which is not useful and the screen goes dark after a few moments. The whole point is to know what I'm using now. His is in colour too! 😠
Badge
When I joined ovo in feb 2017 i asked why my monitor displayed estimated costs. I was told the software would be updated soon. Its now 11 months and I gave up several months ago and turned it off because estimated usage is no use to me. I put it back on the other day to see if anything had changed - nope!! What a waste of money. The British Gas one I used to have was 100% better, and your engr told me it was rubbish!!