Solved

As OVO have disabled the real time usage features, are we able to connect our own Consumer Access Device (CAD)?

Userlevel 3
So I've just had an email, saying that you are no longer going to be providing the realtime feed of data from your Smartmeter installations, why? I'm confused by this...

I'm aware the recent issues where the nist.gov time servers failed, and as the IHD's were tied into this, they fell flat at sending metrics as they were unable to get a reliable time source, but what other issues has there been? I've had zero issues in getting the real time feed data from my setup other than this (which I mitigated by aliasing the time server dns address to the ntp server on my firewall).

The main reason I signed up to this service was to get more accurate realtime metrics, as previously I was using a Loop Energy device hooked up to my previous meters, but the accuracy of this was somewhat hit & miss.

I use both the app to see realtime usage, and pull my own live usage information into my own time series db, which I use to visualise both realtime gas and electric costs (of which the IHD only displays realtime gas), which I then use to further optimise my central heating, by allowing me to adapt usage, heat demand, and scheduled depending on local weather, and current usage.

So... Next question, are you going to be opening up your HAN (so compliant with government provided information allowing customers to pair their own CAD devices, and as BEIS intended)

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/591322/09022017_-_Smart_Meters__Data__Growth_DR_-_updated.pdf

My only other option is to sniff out where and what information the current IHD sends to OVO, and redirect that traffic to my own internal service to log and store the data so I can continue to use it, but this would be an absolute *nightmare* as from when I looked into the issue with the IHD not connecting last time, all data is sent over TLS to lrs.ovoenergy.com.

Bah...
icon

Best answer by 15 May 2018, 16:38

Check out this topic for more information on why we've disabled this feature, @ErTnEc - https://forum.ovoenergy.com/ihd-in-home-displays-64/why-are-ovo-disabling-the-real-time-smart-usage-features-1746.

OVO’s policy is that if the In Home Display (IHD) or Consumer Access Device (CAD) hasn’t been supplied by OVO to the customer then we won’t fulfil the request to pair it to their Home Area Network (HAN).

Third party HAN devices pose a potential security risk and may affect the functionality of the customer’s smart meter. For this reason, before a HAN device can be paired, it must go through a rigorous testing process with Secure, which is an expensive and time consuming process. Given there are many different device types on the market, it is not feasible for us to fulfil individual requests.

Cheers,
Emma
View original

2 replies

Check out this topic for more information on why we've disabled this feature, @ErTnEc - https://forum.ovoenergy.com/ihd-in-home-displays-64/why-are-ovo-disabling-the-real-time-smart-usage-features-1746.

OVO’s policy is that if the In Home Display (IHD) or Consumer Access Device (CAD) hasn’t been supplied by OVO to the customer then we won’t fulfil the request to pair it to their Home Area Network (HAN).

Third party HAN devices pose a potential security risk and may affect the functionality of the customer’s smart meter. For this reason, before a HAN device can be paired, it must go through a rigorous testing process with Secure, which is an expensive and time consuming process. Given there are many different device types on the market, it is not feasible for us to fulfil individual requests.

Cheers,
Emma
Userlevel 3
So then, if I get a CAD device which has already passed testing then (as there are 2 customers here who have 3rd party devices) then what's the issue?

https://forum.ovoenergy.com/smart-meter-compatibility-67/can-i-connect-a-cad-to-my-smart-meters-if-ovo-open-the-home-area-network-han-1102