Solved

Am I able to re-set the In Home Display (IHD) or smart meter whilst the house sitters are in?

• 1 December 2018
  • 2 replies

I am looking to see if I can reset my smart meter as I have some house sitters for a few months and want to check the usage. they have agreed to pay anything over £100 per month. it would be good for them to be able to measure it.

Thanks
icon

Best answer by ITGeek123 3 December 2018, 11:03

Morning @techra

It might be easier to just right down what is appearing on the smart meter before the house sitters move in and when you get back work out how much they have actually used. Take down a meter reading the day you leave, and when you get back. Add the standing charge and that's the total charges! This topic shows how to read the meter

Thanks
View original

2 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +1
Morning @techra

It might be easier to just right down what is appearing on the smart meter before the house sitters move in and when you get back work out how much they have actually used. Take down a meter reading the day you leave, and when you get back. Add the standing charge and that's the total charges! This topic shows how to read the meter

Thanks
Userlevel 7
Badge +3
No, @techra , you can't reset a Smart Meter. There is no such command available.

At some point in the future we will see the arrival of some new IHD's that allow customers to set up preferences for Time Of Use tariffs. It's the sort of useful feature which could be added there.

It's analogous to having a trip-meter in a car. You can't reset the actual mileometer because that could be used fraudulently. But it's ok to have one or more trip-meters which derive their input from the mileometer.

Keep a lookout for any announcements of a manufacturer pre-advertising a new IHD at a trade-show, and feed it in as an idea!