Solved

Will my EDF SMETS2 meter lose smart functionality if I switch to OVO

• 1 August 2019
  • 2 replies

I am thinking of moving from EDF to OVO and I have one or two questions.

1. Will my EDF meter turn into a dumb meter if I switch to OVO? It was only installed in the last few weeks (L+G E470/5424) , so would imagine it's a SMETS2.
  2. If it does go "dumb" would OVO replace my meter with a compatible one after install?
  3. Are there any contractual issues in moving after a smart meter install so soon?
  4. How does the online interface know what devices are being used. I thought the measurements could only measure items in KWh usage. How can it tell apart a TV from a fridge?
Thanks.,

icon

Best answer by Eva_OVO 2 August 2019, 15:16

Welcome to the forum, @MajorSqueeze, it's great to hear you're thinking of joining OVO!

Essentially your SMETS2 meter should still function as a smart meter with us, however before switching you'll need to check with EDF that your meter is connected to the DCC (Data Communication Company).

If the meter isn't connected to the DCC, when you switch to us the meter will lose it's smart functionality. We would book you in for a smart meter exchange, however we couldn't guarantee when the appointment will be this is because appointments are based on engineer availability.

You can switch away from us any time, there's isn't an agreement to stay with us because we've installed smart meters. If you sign up to a fixed tariff you'll be charged exit fees if you leave before your contract end date.

If you've got any other questions about SMETS2 meters check out this post from @Transparent.
View original

2 replies

Userlevel 5
Welcome to the forum, @MajorSqueeze, it's great to hear you're thinking of joining OVO!

Essentially your SMETS2 meter should still function as a smart meter with us, however before switching you'll need to check with EDF that your meter is connected to the DCC (Data Communication Company).

If the meter isn't connected to the DCC, when you switch to us the meter will lose it's smart functionality. We would book you in for a smart meter exchange, however we couldn't guarantee when the appointment will be this is because appointments are based on engineer availability.

You can switch away from us any time, there's isn't an agreement to stay with us because we've installed smart meters. If you sign up to a fixed tariff you'll be charged exit fees if you leave before your contract end date.

If you've got any other questions about SMETS2 meters check out this post from @Transparent.
Userlevel 7
Badge +3
Hi @MajorSqueeze - since the picture shows a SMETS2 electricity meter and Communication Hub, these can only be commissioned to work on the National Smart Meter Network which is operated by the Data Communications Company. Therefore, by definition, there is interoperability between Energy Suppliers.

You will not require any hardware to be changed if you switch to OVO, but it is highly likely that there will be a software upgrade performed so that the code running on your units matches that used by other OVO customers. The upgrade is applied remotely without on-site intervention.

Just make sure that your new SMETS2 meters really have been fully commissioned before you make the switch. The easy way to tell this is to check if your latest Invoice from EDF is based on the actual meter readings since their installation date.