Solved

Why does the OVO website think I have a prepayment meter when I don't?

• 15 March 2018
  • 3 replies

Hi,
Last month we had our prepayment meter changed for a standard pay monthly one. I'm trying to get quotes for energy with various companies but OVO's quote page still seems to think I have a prepayment meter and won't let me get a pay monthly quote. What should I do?
Also, when Eon swapped out the prepayment meter, they installed a dual rate standard meter. Can I still use this for a single-rate tariff with OVO?
icon

Best answer by Transparent 16 March 2018, 20:30

Hi @nnxen,

It sounds to me like the National Database hasn't been updated to reflect the change of meter.

I suggest you send an email to hello@ovoenergy.com with the Meter Number (MPRN) and ask them to provide you with a quote at the same time as putting in a request to the National Database. Don't be surprised if they say that it's E.on who must do this though.

Secondly there should be no problem having a single (Standard Tariff) supply from a dual rate meter. The more complicated matter is whether you have two consumer units (fuse-boxes) fed from this. The Dual rate meters are most often installed so as to only energise one of the consumer units during the E-7 hours.

Feel free to post more details here and we'll try to help.
View original

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +3
Hi @nnxen,

It sounds to me like the National Database hasn't been updated to reflect the change of meter.

I suggest you send an email to hello@ovoenergy.com with the Meter Number (MPRN) and ask them to provide you with a quote at the same time as putting in a request to the National Database. Don't be surprised if they say that it's E.on who must do this though.

Secondly there should be no problem having a single (Standard Tariff) supply from a dual rate meter. The more complicated matter is whether you have two consumer units (fuse-boxes) fed from this. The Dual rate meters are most often installed so as to only energise one of the consumer units during the E-7 hours.

Feel free to post more details here and we'll try to help.
Thanks for the reply. I've contacted Eon over the weekend who confirm that it is correct on the database now, but the Ovo quote tools still thinks it's prepayment. Not sure whats going on there. I'll try again tomorrow...

As for feeds from the meter, there's only one feed coming out to a single consumer unit, so we should be fine on that front 🙂
Userlevel 5
Badge +2
Thanks for the reply. I've contacted Eon over the weekend who confirm that it is correct on the database now, but the Ovo quote tools still thinks it's prepayment. Not sure whats going on there. I'll try again tomorrow...

As for feeds from the meter, there's only one feed coming out to a single consumer unit, so we should be fine on that front :)

@nnxen @Transparent

Hello there Transparent is spot on,

This is exactly what happened when I switched,

I called up on 0330 303 5063 and got my quote directly,

They then put the switch thru via "Unknown Meter Type" and by the time the 28 day switch proccess had gone thru it was updated completed on national database.

By the way OVO call centre are super fast and won't bully you into switching.

If you do please consider the 100% Green Energy Add On :)

Well do Transparent who got this right 🙂 So clever that one! ;)

Best wishes,

Bumblebee 🙂