Solved

Why does OVO need a phone number when signing up?

• 19 February 2018
  • 8 replies

Trying to swap from npower to OVO but the website DEMANDS a mobile phone number and gives no alternative.

I do not use a mobile phone nor do I want to.

Any advice ? Thanks.
icon

Best answer by Lucy_OVO 22 February 2018, 20:08

Trying to swap from npower to OVO but the website DEMANDS a mobile phone number and gives no alternative.I do not use a mobile phone nor do I want to.

Having either a landline number or mobile number should let you sign up. I’ve just tested this for you @greendoubter and I was able to enter a landline number and get through to the next page on the OVO quote and switch page.

If you’re still having trouble, can you attach a screenshot of the error message to this thread so we can raise it to our Tech guys?

Lucy
View original

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +2
Trying to swap from npower to OVO but the website DEMANDS a mobile phone number and gives no alternative. I do not use a mobile phone nor do I want to. Any advice ? Thanks.

@Steve587 @Markee @Crystal1296 - any help with this?

Tim
Userlevel 4
Badge +1
It is stated in the terms and conditions;-
2.5 You will keep your contact details (including email address and mobile phone number) up to date. We will use these details to contact you with information about your account, and (if you have opted in to receiving it) to send promotional information.

However, that doesn't really answer the question as to "why?" Perhaps there's a way to initiate the switch by actually talking to someone, who could then explain the reason (but I bet they just state that it's a requirement!!).
I wouldn't want to suggest you enter a fictitious number (you'd be in breach of the T&Cs), but is there some family member whose number you could use? - but does that breach T&Cs???
Hi @Tim_OVO,

I would love to help but dont know how. I'm still waiting to get some help on my problem. Its been months now and still cannot log into my account.
So, is it ok to asnwer @greendoubter : "why bother? Stay with your current supplier" ?
Crystal. Thanks.

Given that 'Demands' (with no alternatives) such as this exist - I am
indeed thinking "why bother ?" !

Steve. It may well be covered by the "Terms and Conditions" -- but I haven't got that far ...

And given that quite a few big firms have had their 'secure databases' hacked - how secure would any info be ?
Userlevel 4
Badge +1
But, as I said, although it's a T&C, it doesn't explain why - so why not a landline?
p.s. the T&Cs are accessed via links at the foot of the page
Userlevel 5
Badge +2
Trying to swap from npower to OVO but the website DEMANDS a mobile phone number and gives no alternative.I do not use a mobile phone nor do I want to.

Having either a landline number or mobile number should let you sign up. I’ve just tested this for you @greendoubter and I was able to enter a landline number and get through to the next page on the OVO quote and switch page.

If you’re still having trouble, can you attach a screenshot of the error message to this thread so we can raise it to our Tech guys?

Lucy
But, as I said, although it's a T&C, it doesn't explain why - so why not a landline?
p.s. the T&Cs are accessed via links at the foot of the page

Thanks Steve.

I admit - I had not accessed them.

Lucy

Lucy

Thanks Lucy. Very useful. Sounds like I can proceed now.

I'm left wondering why OVO programmers did not think to put a note saying a landline was a usable alternative ???
It said a "mobile number" was "required". Full stop. Nothing else. Hence my posting.