Solved

Unable to switch because my electricity meter has been registered on the national data base as an industrial meter?

• 24 June 2019
  • 7 replies

I've manged to find a more competitive rate and daily charge so applied to change supplier, unfortunately my electricity meter has been registered on the national data base as an industrial meter rather than a house hold domestic meter, which means I can't transfer.

I've sent a mail to OVO tonight to request that they update the national data base with immediate effect, let's see how long it takes them shall we.

I work in the energy industry so know how long it should take, unfortunately I can't resolve it myself, I'm in the hands of OVO.

Will keep this thread updated with progress on a daily basis.
icon

Best answer by Nancy_OVO 25 June 2019, 13:32

Hi @keeling54,

It's very unlikely that we'd have registered your supplies as industrial ones, as we don't offer commercial tariffs, only domestic ones. It sounds like your property has smart meters, which send the readings every half hour. This gives the occupier of the property better visibility of their usage, and allows for energy demand to be matched for accurately and efficiently. It’s a win/win.

This is an industry wide change, so the supplier you’re trying to switch to should be aware of this update, and be able to take over your supply. Sadly, there’s a few suppliers who incorrectly interpret half hourly meter readings as being a business supply. It used to only be a business supply that did half hourly settlement (technical term). They’re wrong, and will be able to apply successfully. That said, we can change the smart meters and the database so that it’s not half hourly, in order to avoid confusion from another supplier. It will take several weeks to do. A quicker way would be to reach out to your chosen supplier and highlight their error.

Hope this helps!
View original

7 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge
Hi @keeling54,

It's very unlikely that we'd have registered your supplies as industrial ones, as we don't offer commercial tariffs, only domestic ones. It sounds like your property has smart meters, which send the readings every half hour. This gives the occupier of the property better visibility of their usage, and allows for energy demand to be matched for accurately and efficiently. It’s a win/win.

This is an industry wide change, so the supplier you’re trying to switch to should be aware of this update, and be able to take over your supply. Sadly, there’s a few suppliers who incorrectly interpret half hourly meter readings as being a business supply. It used to only be a business supply that did half hourly settlement (technical term). They’re wrong, and will be able to apply successfully. That said, we can change the smart meters and the database so that it’s not half hourly, in order to avoid confusion from another supplier. It will take several weeks to do. A quicker way would be to reach out to your chosen supplier and highlight their error.

Hope this helps!
Nancy, thank you for your response, I do have a smart meter fitted, but to be honest the internal unit and the software it runs is pretty useless, it's spent all of it's time in my draw since I've had it.

From memory my gas meter was set originally set up incorrectly so it was reading the incorrect volume of gas and I was being over charged massively. Sorted now though.

Fortunately I've had a great response from OVO, they have addressed the issue but it will take 2 to 3 weeks to resolve.

All I'm really interested in is the customer service and how quickly issues are resolved.

So far all good.
Userlevel 7
Badge +3
Glad to hear this issue is being addressed for you @keeling54

It might seem annoying that there's a 2-3 week delay before your SMETS electricity meter record gets corrected by ECOES. However, there are number of checks that get made during the meter registration process, each of which has time-frames agreed with Ofgem.

The independent meter database system is useful both to eradicate errors and also protect consumers from fraud. It's one of those processes which is best left to carry out its work according to the correct procedures, rather than rushing it!
Userlevel 6
Badge
From memory my gas meter was set originally set up incorrectly so it was reading the incorrect volume of gas and I was being over charged massively. Sorted now though.

Ah - that's slightly different, and pretty rare! Glad to hear it's getting sorted, though 🙂
My fixed tariff with Ovo ends in a few days but I've been unable to arrange a switch because I'm registered as an industrial/commercial property! Ovo says it could take 10 working days before their update goes through so I will miss out on the September tariff I found with another supplier AND will pay a lot more on the Ovo variable tariff while I wait for the problem to be fixed. My new supplier suggested escalating the request but has anyone had any success with this?
Userlevel 5
Hey @sxg4,

The update to the database is made by a third party which we have no control over, we wouldn't be able to speed up this process.

I've spoken with another team about this, and the supplier you want to switch too essentially can't refuse to take you over becasue of this.

Take a look at the best answer for more advice on this.
Userlevel 7
Badge +3
@sxg4 - Can I just clarify that all aspects of a switch are handled by the Receiving Supplier. I have discussed this previously with the Office of the Energy Ombudsman and it is important that this strategy is followed.

If the Receiving Supplier fails to implement this as required by Ofgem guidelines, then your case can be taken up by the Ombudsman.

But if you arrange any alteration to the procedures via the Relinquishing Supplier (OVO in this case) then it removes obligations from the Receiving Supplier that you've decided to switch to.

The timescales involved are there to protect the customer from attempts by 3rd parties to arrange a fraudulent switch or take over an account without the knowledge or consent of the real customer.

That's why you are allowed to arrange a switch without penalties 6 weeks before your old contract actually expires.