Solved

Unable to log in and submit opening meter readings because I've had an OVO account before - why?

• 22 September 2017
  • 15 replies

I have switched from Brit. gas to Ovo and am trying to enter opening meter readings but because I had an Ovo account some years ago as soon as I go into My Ovo from any link my old a/c no.and I d no.come onto screen and I am told no readings are required as Ovo are no longer supplying me. Presumably others must have had this problem, whats the answer please.
icon

Best answer by motormover 26 September 2017, 15:33

Phone call from Ovo told me change a/c no./id no. on my ovo page from old details to new and all was well! All done with patience and clarity. Thanks to the person who called me.
View original

15 replies

Give them a call. They always seem very helpful and problems which occur are dealt with quickly in my opinion.
Thank you, I did subsequently find an email address and am currently awaiting a response.
Phone call from Ovo told me change a/c no./id no. on my ovo page from old details to new and all was well! All done with patience and clarity. Thanks to the person who called me.
Userlevel 5
Badge +2
Fab to hear this you got to the bottom of this @motormover. Thanks for helping out too @Jackie Merchant. :)

*I hope you don't mind but I’ve edited the title of your topic slightly so others can find it.

Lucy
Userlevel 1
Badge

HELP - Unable to log on.  Like motormover, I too used to have an OVO account 2 or 3 years ago before switching elsewhere, and have just switched back to OVO about a month ago.  The switch worked well.  However, I’ve recently received an email from OVO quoting my OVO Acc no and OVO ID (both the same as before) and asking for a regular meter reading.  I tried to log on to enter the readings using the OVO ID and my previous password, but they were rejected as incorrect.  I tried to reset my password, and entered my email address (the same one as OVO used to ask for the meter reading), and waited for the password-reset email, which never arrived.  I repeated this process half-a-dozen times, tried Edge instead of Firefox, turned off my ad blocker, checked my junk mail folder, my Domain Manager and my ISP’s Spam Quarantine folder - nothing.  MY ID and pwd are still being rejected, and password-reset emails never arrive.  About 2 weeks ago I managed eventually to speak to a human at OVO who took down the readings and promised to get a techie to ring me back “within the next ten working days”!

I’ve now had an email to say my statement is available, but I STILL can’t log on to read it, and OVO are no longer taking support phone calls because of The Plague.  This is hopeless.  I’m thinking of switching away from OVO if this carries on.  Can anybody help me, please?

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Hi @dunbankin and welcome to the Forum.

OVO’s in-house software has been changed substantially since you were last a customer. It is no longer provided via a 3rd-party. As far as possible, all old data has been moved across. However, it may not operate as you remember from before.

Your online account is linked to your email address. But it’s quite likely that no-one in the programming team (in London) has yet considered what to do with old email addresses.

OVO’s Customer Services can obviously use your old email address which they can see on-screen. So writing to you isn’t a problem.

It’s quite a different matter for the automatic generation of a message from the Billing software (which handles meter readings). I can think of several good reasons why the system should default to the situation where the “reset password” email does not get sent. I won’t describe those reasons here, but it would leave you open to Identity-theft.

This has nothing to do with the software you are running “client side” on your PC. Changing/upgrading browser software won’t work.

Yes, it’s unlikely that you’ll now get any human contact from within OVO because your situation isn’t an emergency.

So you have two interim solutions:

A; change email address

B; send in monthly readings by email to hello@ovoenergy.com so you retain a date/time stamped copy of what you sent.

I had to do Option-B for most of last year whilst my new Smart Meters were being subjected to all manner of software upgrades. It wasn’t a problem, and my Bills remained accurate.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Thanks for the prompt reply, Transparent.  I’ve emailed hello@ etc and asked them to change  my email address, and I’ve had a holding reply promising to deal with it within 48 hrs.  I own the dunbankin.com domain, so I’ve suggested another random address from my domain - any emails to it will be dumped in my normal email Inbox.  Do you think that will cause any unexpected problems?

Perhaps, once it’s working smoothly, I’ll log into my account and change the email address back again (I assume I’ll be able to do this when logged in?) - that would greatly simplify matters.  Do you see any problems with that?

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

That sounds a good strategy @dunbankin 

I don’t know how quickly you’ll get a response from OVO however. Their Customer Services call centres were moved to “emergencies only” last week, and we have no direct contact with the programming team.

What you’re asking is very reasonable… but probably the sort of useful detail which has been overlooked in their implementation of the new software.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Woop-de-do - it worked.  I got a reply from hello@… really quickly confirming the change of email address, and the password-reset email arrived within a few minutes.  I have now logged on and downloaded my statement, and I’ve discovered that I CAN change my email address on-line - I’ll wait for things to settle down before changing it back again.

Thanks again for your help, Transparent - I would never have worked this out for myself!

Userlevel 1
Badge

One other thing - when you log on to OVO’s web site, you are supposed to be able to use either your email address or your OVO ID.  I’ve found that I can now log on successfully using the new email address as my user ID, but if I try and log on with my OVO ID instead - a perfectly valid option - the log-on fails. 

OVO’s IT is certainly not as good as I remember it from three years ago - it seems very fragile and liable to fall over for no good reason.

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

That’s more useful feedback @dunbankin :slight_smile:

OVO’s software is totally different from that they had  3-years ago. Although that earlier 3rd party software may have done what you wanted as a customer, it was failing to provide adequately correct usage estimates. Consequently, OVO got fined by Ofgem.

The Board made the bold decision to write their own software in house, and recruited a programming team in London.

It’s the new Billing software to which customers with Smart Meters have been moved across to, starting around Feb’20.

One of the Moderators (like @Eva_OVO ?) will now be able to pick up your comment about being unable to use the Account ID to log-in, and pass this back to the relevant Team Manager.

The result of OVO’s investment in their new software has been vindicated by Ofgem selecting them to rescue two other failing Energy Suppliers last year (Spark and Economy Energy). So they’re clearly heading in the right direction.

Userlevel 5

If you’re on our new online experience you won’t be able to use your OVO ID as your username, @dunbankin.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Then why does the MyOVO log-in page say I can:

????

Userlevel 6
Badge

It’s a generic landing page, @dunbankin, but a fair point well made, I’ll pass your feedback on. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

I still think @dunbankin deserves another gold star for that one! :star: