Solved

Switching to OVO - Where do I start?

Userlevel 1

Hi,

I'm looking to switch to OVO from Scottish Power.

I'm in a fairly unique situation. I've just moved in to a house (4 weeks ago) and decided to stick with their energy supplier (Scottish Power). I set up my Account with them along with Direct Debit monthly payments, only to have no access to my Account over the last 3 weeks (I could sign in but was confronted with a message stating my Account was "setting up"). I contacted Scottish Power a week or so ago to ask what was going on, and they couldn't give me an answer. They informed me the Direct Debit setup is stuck in a waiting state and they can't access my Account from their end either but they would investigate and contact me. A week later and still no contact.

After sending off a support email to them yesterday - their solution for all of this was to reset my password (I have no problem actually signing in) - I've had enough and want nothing to do with them.

If I were to fill out the quote and switch form would I be able to switch? The correspondence I received from Scottish Power states there are no exit fees associated with my plan.
icon

Best answer by Lucy_OVO 19 April 2017, 17:04

soziblewuup wrote:

Hi,

I'm in a fairly unique situation. I've just moved in to a house (4 weeks ago) and decided to stick with their energy supplier (Scottish Power). I set up my Account with them along with Direct Debit monthly payments, only to have no access to my Account over the last 3 weeks (I could sign in but was confronted with a message stating my Account was "setting up"). I contacted Scottish Power a week or so ago to ask what was going on, and they couldn't give me an answer. They informed me the Direct Debit setup is stuck in a waiting state and they can't access my Account from their end either but they would investigate and contact me. A week later and still no contact.

After sending off a support email to them yesterday - their solution for all of this was to reset my password (I have no problem actually signing in) - I've had enough and want nothing to do with them.

If I were to fill out the quote and switch form would I be able to switch? The correspondence I received from Scottish Power states there are no exit fees associated with my plan.

Hey soziblewuup,

If your gas and electricity are currently with Scottish Power, it should be fine to switch to us. :) By the sounds of it, the issues you’re having with them are relating to your online account rather than the supplies themselves.

In general, the switch process normally takes between 4-6 weeks, but sometimes, this can take slightly longer if your Gas is supplied by an Independent Gas Transporter. For more information, see our OVO answers link here.

Drilled down, there are 3 steps to the switching process;

1) You’ll get a welcome letter in the post (around 7 days after you’ve completed a Quote and Switch) which will contain details of your information along with the plan you’ve signed up to. From when you receive your welcome letter, you’ll have a 14 day ‘cooling off’ period in which you can change your mind.

2)Once those 14 days have passed, we’ll contact your previous supplier to get the ball rolling.

3)You’ll then be notified (via email or letter) of a 10 day window where you’ll need to provide your opening meter readings. These readings will be checked over (normally this takes between 4-6 weeks) and once confirmed, these will be added to your account so we can issue you with your first bill.

Hope this helps!

Lucy

View original

14 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +2
soziblewuup wrote:

Hi,

Hey soziblewuup,

If your gas and electricity are currently with Scottish Power, it should be fine to switch to us. :) By the sounds of it, the issues you’re having with them are relating to your online account rather than the supplies themselves.

In general, the switch process normally takes between 4-6 weeks, but sometimes, this can take slightly longer if your Gas is supplied by an Independent Gas Transporter. For more information, see our OVO answers link here.

Drilled down, there are 3 steps to the switching process;

1) You’ll get a welcome letter in the post (around 7 days after you’ve completed a Quote and Switch) which will contain details of your information along with the plan you’ve signed up to. From when you receive your welcome letter, you’ll have a 14 day ‘cooling off’ period in which you can change your mind.

2)Once those 14 days have passed, we’ll contact your previous supplier to get the ball rolling.

3)You’ll then be notified (via email or letter) of a 10 day window where you’ll need to provide your opening meter readings. These readings will be checked over (normally this takes between 4-6 weeks) and once confirmed, these will be added to your account so we can issue you with your first bill.

Hope this helps!

Lucy
Userlevel 1
Hi,
We are confused as to what to do. We started changing to OVO from E.on in the beginning of April, And now we have a final change over date, that just so happens to be in the middle of our holiday. Being as we are on PAYG, we have money in the meter from E.on, but our new keys have arrived.

So, if we put our new keys in the old meter like it says, will it wipe off our balance from E.on? Is it OK to put the new ones in before we officially switch?
What happens if we don't put out new ones into the meter until we return from holiday? Our ultimate goal is to not have the power shut off whilst away and come back to a defrosted freezer.

Any help would be great.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Carol25 wrote:

Hi,
We are confused as to what to do. We started changing to OVO from E.on in the beginning of April, And now we have a final change over date, that just so happens to be in the middle of our holiday. Being as we are on PAYG, we have money in the meter from E.on, but our new keys have arrived.

So, if we put our new keys in the old meter like it says, will it wipe off our balance from E.on? Is it OK to put the new ones in before we officially switch?
What happens if we don't put out new ones into the meter until we return from holiday? Our ultimate goal is to not have the power shut off whilst away and come back to a defrosted freezer.

Any help would be great.

Hi Carol,

Welcome to the forum and enjoy your holiday!

I'm pretty sure that if you put you're new key/card in the meter it won't wipe the credit -but to be on the safe side you could take a picture of the meter showing credit before putting new keys in. (One of the mods will clarify shortly for you) @Tim_OVO @Lucy_OVO

An alternative option would be to top up using the old key/cards before you go away and when you're back from holiday simply start using the new one
Userlevel 6
Badge +2
Carol25 wrote:

Hi,

Any help would be great.

Hey Carol25,

We second @Mattj3135- we hope you have a lovely holiday! Are you off anywhere nice?

If you put our key/card in the meter whilst you have credit, then this will wipe it. You’ll need to wait until you’ve used up your credit before inserting our key and card. :)

I’ve also moved your topic onto this one about switching - hope you don't mind.

Lucy
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Now I know too :) thanks @Lucy_OVO
Userlevel 1
Hi there,

I'm switching to Ovo and my services are supposed to be starting tomorrow. When logging into my account online, it does say that "You are switching to OVO on 8th May", however, if I use the android app, it says "You are switching to OVO on the 29th May 2017".

Which is correct?
Userlevel 7
Badge +2
Mouse_Nightshirt wrote:

Hi there,

I'm switching to Ovo and my services are supposed to be starting tomorrow. When logging into my account online, it does say that "You are switching to OVO on 8th May", however, if I use the android app, it says "You are switching to OVO on the 29th May 2017".

Which is correct?

I've moved your query here as there is already a topic all about switching which may help. If not one of our other users will I'm sure see this or the moderator team will step in and help when we are back in tomorrow.

Darran
Userlevel 7
Badge +2
Mouse_Nightshirt wrote:

Hi there,

Which is correct?

Well this has us all puzzled. I'd suggest that your switch to OVO may have been 'objected' to, by your current supplier. If that happens, it will delay your supply start date. I'm hesitant to make any more guesses though, and I'll PM you to ask for some more details.

Here's some more info on the objection process: https://www.ovoenergy.com/ovo-answers/topics/all-about-switching/the-switching-process/what-is-an-objection.html.

Hope this helps,
Tim
Hi guys!

I live in a 1 bedroom flat with my partner. I'm currently with EDF Energy and I'm paying £30 a month however I'm always in debt with them because I'm using more than I pay for. I don't have a tumble drier, only use the washing machine when necessary and try not to leave lights and switches on. I currently pay monthly by direct debit with them.
I've check out switching to OVO Energy and on go on a PAYG meter and it's saying I'd only have to top up £7 a week. Is this true as I would rather do that than be over paying with EDF Energy.
Would it be cheaper and more convenient for me to get a pre pay meter? We get paid every 2 weeks so I would rather pay something ever 2 weeks than a big chunk every month. Thanks.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Hi @KayHamersley welcome to the forum and thank you for posting. Given prices vary from region to region it would be inpossible for me to speculate am accurate quote.

If you reach out to the OVO customer Care team havinf your annual usage figures to hand they will be able to give the most accurate quote to you.

If you're happy with the clear transparant friendly service here at OVO please do let us know. Also please do feel free to have a nosey around other topics here on the forum.

Please do let us know regardless of your decision

Best wishes
Userlevel 6
Badge +2
KayHamersley wrote:

Hi guys!

I live in a 1 bedroom flat with my partner. I'm currently with EDF Energy and I'm paying £30 a month however I'm always in debt with them because I'm using more than I pay for. I don't have a tumble drier, only use the washing machine when necessary and try not to leave lights and switches on. I currently pay monthly by direct debit with them.
I've check out switching to OVO Energy and on go on a PAYG meter and it's saying I'd only have to top up £7 a week. Is this true as I would rather do that than be over paying with EDF Energy.
Would it be cheaper and more convenient for me to get a pre pay meter? We get paid every 2 weeks so I would rather pay something ever 2 weeks than a big chunk every month. Thanks.

Hey KayHamersley,

I hope you don’t mind but I’ve moved your comment onto this topic so that other users can see your comment.

We wouldn’t be able to support you as a Pay as you go customer if you have credit meters, so I’d suggest getting a meter exchange with you current supplier if you’d really like to switch to us as a Pay as you go customer.

If you’re Direct Debit is £30 per month, but you’ve built up a debt balance as this doesn’t cover your usage, it’s unlikely that £7 a week would be enough to top up. The best thing to do would be to compare the prices you’re paying now against our prices (unit rates and standing charge) and if they’re cheaper, then it looks like we’ll be able to make you a saving!

Shout if you have any other questions on this as some of the other users or Moderators can help.

Lucy
I signed up for Ovo ages ago (have just checked my online and it says that my changeover ill occur on 23rd June - I think probably last year).

When I signed up Ovo said they would do the changeover - this has not happened and now I have received a notice of needing to pay £500 from the previous supplier to my flat (I tried to change as soon as I moved in)

Jonny
Userlevel 6
Badge +2
Jonny wrote:

I signed up for Ovo ages ago (have just checked my online and it says that my changeover ill occur on 23rd June - I think probably last year).

When I signed up Ovo said they would do the changeover - this has not happened and now I have received a notice of needing to pay £500 from the previous supplier to my flat (I tried to change as soon as I moved in)

Jonny

Hey Jonny. I’ve moved your topic onto here as we’ve already got a topic for what happens during the switching process.

If your account says that you switched on the 23rd june, then your supplies should have been with us from then. The £500 that your previous supplier are charging - is this your final bill?

Lucy
Hi Lucy,

The issue is that Ovo said they would change my account over on the 23rd June 2016 - which still hasn't happened. I've now received a large bill from EDF as the switchover never happened.

I tried to switch over when I moved into my current address and Ovo said it was all in hand. I am still keen to move over but feel that given that this is a problem caused entirely by Ovo (and has resulted in me being chased by debt collection agencies as EDF have also been sending my bills to the wrong address)

I can't have a final bill because I owe money as OVO didn't do the switchover

Jonny
Like most websites OVO Energy uses cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies on this site. Accept and Close