Solved

Switching supplier to OVO - How long does gas take?

Hi I switched my energy supply over in February but I have had no contact with regards giving my gas meter reading only electricity. How much longer will this take??
icon

Best answer by ChrisHaharr 30 March 2017, 14:48

I had the same issue Lesley, I joined in December but my gas only fully switched this month. Your gas may be supplied by what they called an independent gas transporter, which is why it is taking a longer amount of time. At the time, I could only submit electricity readings through MyOVO, whereas the gas option was blanked out. It's working normally now for me so hopefully it shouldn't be much longer for you!

OVO support linked me to this article, it might be of use to you https://www.ovoenergy.com/ovo-answers/topics/all-about-switching/the-switching-process/what-is-an-independent-gas-transporter.html
View original

24 replies

I had the same issue Lesley, I joined in December but my gas only fully switched this month. Your gas may be supplied by what they called an independent gas transporter, which is why it is taking a longer amount of time. At the time, I could only submit electricity readings through MyOVO, whereas the gas option was blanked out. It's working normally now for me so hopefully it shouldn't be much longer for you!

OVO support linked me to this article, it might be of use to you https://www.ovoenergy.com/ovo-answers/topics/all-about-switching/the-switching-process/what-is-an-independent-gas-transporter.html
Thanks Chris
Hi Lesley, I had the same issue for months! I strongly suggest you put some money in a cheeky little interest bearing account to cover an shortfall just in case it becomes a prolonged issue.

Good Luck
Userlevel 1
Badge
Happened to me too just over a year ago. Previous electricity supplier used an estimated final reading which took months to sort out. Steeles5 has the right idea.
TOTALLY DISMAYED OF PRESTON !
I switch accounts regularly, not just energy but insurance, telecoms, banks,building society's you name it as I know in business today there is absolutely no sense of loyalty to customers whatsoever.
So to be brief I switched to save £20 per month from OVO to EON in October 2016 (yes 6 months ago!!!) and yes you guessed it. OVO have still not sorted it or refunded me a penny yet and it transpired would not have done if I hadn't contacted them!, and I had stiill been paying a higher unit cost with OVO as they didn't switch my gas supply to EON
Basically now I sent a recorded letter (the only way it appears to prompt a response), anyhow a nice reply came from Heinie on 21st April which I responded to promptly ------- THATS IT, JOB STOPPED. I HAVE SENT 5 MORE COMPLAINTS ON EMAIL TO NO AVAIL..... I AM GOING TO BILL THEM £70/ hr UUUUUUUUGHHHHH ,,,

Join cheap energy club for free monitoring of you gas,electric costs.

yours ....?..
R walsh
Userlevel 7
Badge +2
TOTALLY DISMAYED OF PRESTON !. Account number 2907900.
I switch accounts regularly, not just energy but insurance, telecoms, banks,building society's you name it as I know in business today there is absolutely no sense of loyalty to customers whatsoever.
So to be brief I switched to save £20 per month from OVO to EON in October 2016 (yes 6 months ago!!!) and yes you guessed it. OVO have still not sorted it or refunded me a penny yet and it transpired would not have done if I hadn't contacted them!, and I had stiill been paying a higher unit cost with OVO as they didn't switch my gas supply to EON
Basically now I sent a recorded letter (the only way it appears to prompt a response), anyhow a nice reply came form Heinie on 21st April which I responded to promptly ------- THATS IT, JOB STOPPED. I HAVE SENT 5 MORE COMPLAINTS ON EMAIL TO NO AVAIL..... I AM GOING TO BILL THEM £70/ hr UUUUUUUUGHHHHH ,,,
RING ME ON 07899 920166 before 9pm for details or email ? ... rickadv@hotmail.com
Join cheap energy club for free montitoring of you gas,electric costs.

yours ....?..
R walsh

Hi there,

It's a real shame to hear about this delay, and how you've felt the need to complain about this issue. In order to protect your personal info, I've removed all of your contact details from this topic. I've moved your query to another topic on switching suppliers, in case other users want to offer some advice. As for me, I'd be happy to take a look, so send me a PM with your account number, name and DoB.

Thanks,
Tim
Well Hi Tim
At last a response.
my account number is ****
dob. **/*/**
Richard G Walsh.

regards
Richard
Userlevel 6
Badge +4
Well Hi Tim
At last a response.
my account number is

regards
Richard

Hi Richard

Please could you resend your personal info via private message by clicking on @Tim_OVO then click send private message. That way your OVO account details remain private and secure! (Once done you may want to delete your above post)

Thank you in advance.
Userlevel 6
Badge +4
TOTALLY DISMAYED OF PRESTON !. Account number
Basically now I sent a recorded letter (the only way it appears to prompt a response), anyhow a nice reply came form Heinie on 21st April which I responded to promptly ------- THATS IT, JOB STOPPED. I HAVE SENT 5 MORE COMPLAINTS ON EMAIL TO NO AVAIL.....
Join cheap energy club for free montitoring of you gas,electric costs.

yours ....?..
R walsh

Hi there,

It's a real shame to hear about this delay, and how you've felt the need to complain about this issue. In order to protect your personal info, I've removed all of your contact details from this topic. I've moved your query to another topic on switching suppliers, in case other users want to offer some advice. As for me, I'd be happy to take a look, so send me a PM with your account number, name and DoB.

Thanks,
Tim

@Tim_OVO @Lucy_OVO @Darran_OVO your reply includes the personal information removed 😁
Userlevel 7
Badge +2
Well Hi Tim
At last a response.
my account number is ****
dob. **/*/**
Richard G Walsh.

regards
Richard

Hi Richard

I've removed your accounts details as they were public. In future, please send any account information in a private message to one of the moderator team.

Thanks

Darran
Unfortunately the billing system no longer works - I hadnt had a bill for months and now they have removed all my readings. They are obviously determined to force everyone onto smart meters.
Userlevel 6
Badge +4
Unfortunately the billing system no longer works - I hadnt had a bill for months and now they have removed all my readings. They are obviously determined to force everyone onto smart meters.

Hi @buzzard sorry to learn of the difficulties you're facing, have you reached out to the ovo customer care team for assistance with this?
Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Hi @buzzard

I've replied to your other comment about this. I'll be happy to look into things for you, but you will need to pass those security checks first. From your other comment, I can see that you've reached out to our Care team already, so maybe we should give them a chance to sort this before I step in?

^Tim
I have made a formal complaint because although I have some emails confirming meter readings were sent ovo has deleted them and then denied it.
Userlevel 5
Badge +2
@buzzard Rest assured that we won't have deleted these. Have you recently had a new meter installed? As if you have, you'll only be able to view the usage for your current meter but we'll still have a record of all your readings and consumption from your old meter.

Lucy
@Lucy_OVO well I now have an email from your customer care staff in which they confirm that in a recorded telephone call one of your staff says they can see the readings on the system. They also state they cant see them now. I can't think of any other logical explanation apart from they have been deleted. They were there and now they not.

Edited to say - and you have now changed my account from a 2 year fix to standard plan and sent me a new bill. Naturally this is higher.

No I havent had a new meter, I haven't moved house, I simply made the mistake of taking out a new contract with Ovo.
Userlevel 5
Badge +2
@Lucy_OVO well I now have an email from your customer care staff in which they confirm that in a recorded telephone call one of your staff says they can see the readings on the system. They also state they cant see them now. I can't think of any other logical explanation apart from they have been deleted. They were there and now they not.

Edited to say - and you have now changed my account from a 2 year fix to standard plan and sent me a new bill. Naturally this is higher.

No I havent had a new meter, I haven't moved house, I simply made the mistake of taking out a new contract with Ovo.

I’d be more than happy to look into this for you @buzzard, I’ll just need you to confirm those details for me in a PM. Once you have, I can get to the bottom of this for you.

If we’ve changed you plan then this will have been because your old plan came to an end. If your contract wasn't renewed, you’ll have rolled onto our variable rates which are slightly more expensive. Double check to make sure that the bill is to actual readings not estimates as well as this might have been a contributing factor. If the bill is to estimates, PM me some up to date readings and I can get a revised bill for you.

Hope this helps,
Lucy
Userlevel 7
Badge +2
@Lesley Andrews just a quick one to let you know that I've made the title more specific on this, to help other users who have had delays with their gas switch - is this sorted now btw?

Tim
We switched in September from British Gas to OVO and the switch as far as we know is not yet complete. In our area we have apparently one of these Independent Gas Transporters in the middle with whom one seemingly can not communicate!
Userlevel 6
Badge
We switched in September from British Gas to OVO and the switch as far as we know is not yet complete. In our area we have apparently one of these Independent Gas Transporters in the middle with whom one seemingly can not communicate!

Hey @Tennyman,

I've moved your post to this thread where you'll find all the information you need about switching with an IGT!

Cheers,
Nancy
Hi Nancy
Thanks for moving the post - But, that in itself provides no answers - it just means yes there are others with the same problem - which I had assumed there would be! The question is Why are these IGTs still taking a long tiiiiime? The Gov't and Martin Lewis through Moneysavingsexpert.com ar saying "go ahead switch - it is so simple and quick"!!! Ha Ha! This situation is as bad as when the Gov't were claiming that the NHS had no mixed wards in Hospitals -at least that now has changed so let's get this switching brought up to at least the 20th Century if not even the 21st!!!

Best wishes
Tennyman
Hi @Tennyman

The reason a gas switch can take longer when it's transported by an IGT is because they aren't part of the National Grid, so it can take longer than usual to get industry data updated.

Essentially, when our gas is ready to be delivered to customers, it's usually transported by one of eight UK Gas Distribution Networks (GDNs). However, there are many areas that the GDNs don’t reach. They may be places where homes were originally designed to be heated by a different fuel, recently built homes or rural neighbourhoods that have never been on the national gas main.

In those places, gas may be delivered by an Independent Gas Transporter (IGT). IGTs extend the national gas network to around 1 million homes that otherwise wouldn’t be able to access the UK’s favourite source of home energy.

We realise that the delays when switching are an inconvenience to our IGT customers and we're currently working hard to eradicate these - as part of an industry wide project.

The main aim of this project is to reduce the timescales to get your opening gas readings validated (an your first gas bill over to you) from 12 weeks to 6 weeks.

Hope this helps,
Emily
Thanks Emily, for your reply. It does help yes, but only as far to complicate the situation further. I will explain! In your classes of homes where an IGT may be involved rather than the obviously more efficient GDNs, the only one that my home "may" drop into is that it is "relatively" new at "only" nearly 16 years old. The homes here were definitely designed with gas in mind, we are situated on the outskirts of Crewe with a population of nearly 73,000 - so no not rural. Plus another approx' 7,000 houses are being built or about to be built close by! - Are all of these going to have gas delivered by inefficient IGTs too?

Best wishes for Christmas and 2018.
Keith
Hi Keith,

Although these classes of homes are most likely to have IGTs transporting their gas - it certainly won't apply in every case.

That being said, having an IGT or GDN shouldn't matter going forward, as this project will ensure any gas switch will take a maximum of 6 weeks.

Thanks,
Emily