Solved

New build requires brand new meters - can OVO supply me?

• 11 September 2017
  • 10 replies

Hi,

I am close to finishing a new build and require brand new meters. Both gas and electricity are connected and I now need to contact a suppier for meters.

I plan to rent the property but would like to initially have pay monthly but am ok if I have to have pay as you go from the start.

Can anyone advise who at ovo i need to contact.

Smart meter would be good too.

Regards
icon

Best answer by Tim_OVO 20 September 2017, 14:50

Hi,

I am close to finishing a new build and require brand new meters. Both gas and electricity are connected and I now need to contact a suppier for meters.

I plan to rent the property but would like to initially have pay monthly but am ok if I have to have pay as you go from the start.

Regards

Hi @Dles1966 - thanks for getting in touch on the forum!

As OVO are still a small supplier, we're unable to create and take over new supplies. It's one of the odd realities of the UK energy industry that (I think) gives the big 6 an unfair advantage. However for the moment, it is what it is. So you'll need to approach one of the bigger suppliers, so they can set things up on the national database.

However once this is all done, you can switch to whoever, so when this time comes, check out the tariffs on offer here: http://ovoener.gy/Quote.

Just to add, I've moved this topic to another forum, and changed the title. Hopefully other users with the same query can find it and get the answers they need.

Thanks,
Tim
View original

10 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +2
Hi,

Regards

Hi @Dles1966 - thanks for getting in touch on the forum!

As OVO are still a small supplier, we're unable to create and take over new supplies. It's one of the odd realities of the UK energy industry that (I think) gives the big 6 an unfair advantage. However for the moment, it is what it is. So you'll need to approach one of the bigger suppliers, so they can set things up on the national database.

However once this is all done, you can switch to whoever, so when this time comes, check out the tariffs on offer here: http://ovoener.gy/Quote.

Just to add, I've moved this topic to another forum, and changed the title. Hopefully other users with the same query can find it and get the answers they need.

Thanks,
Tim
The last time this was answered the poster was told to PM a moderator.

I am having central heating installed. The gas has been connected. I need to get someone to install a meter. British Gas will do it. I register with them and then after 4 weeks I can switch to another supplier. I would like at that point to add gas to my electricity with Ovo. I haven't found a simple way to do that on this website.
Hello, I'm looking to get electricity in my detached garage which is around 100 meters away from my house. I was wondering how this would be possibly and how much?
Userlevel 6
Badge
Hello, I'm looking to get electricity in my detached garage which is around 100 meters away from my house. I was wondering how this would be possibly and how much?

Hi @HarryB - I've moved your post to this topic about creating new supplies. Hope you find it helpful.

Nancy
Userlevel 6
Badge
The last time this was answered the poster was told to PM a moderator.

I am having central heating installed. The gas has been connected. I need to get someone to install a meter. British Gas will do it. I register with them and then after 4 weeks I can switch to another supplier. I would like at that point to add gas to my electricity with Ovo. I haven't found a simple way to do that on this website.

Hi @JohnPeters - sorry for moving your post the first time. I didn't quite move it to the right topic. Now that you've given a bit more info here, I understand the query. I should've moved it over here - this topic is about new supplies and installing brand new meters/registering them on the national databases.

As Tim's "best answer" indicates at the top, this isn't something we can do at the minute, but a larger supplier can. If you've got an electricity account with us currently, we can add the gas once the larger supplier has set it up. You just need to call our team on 0330 303 5063 and ask to add it. You'll need to provide the MPRN too - this is a unique code denoting your gas supply.

Nancy
Thanks. No it was the right thread, but as I said in my question, the solution offered was only to PM the moderator. There was no actual solution. So should I PM a moderator or is there now a solution?
Userlevel 7
Badge +2
should I PM a moderator or is there now a solution?

@JohnPeters sorry for the confusion. If you get British Gas to create the supply/fit the meter, then we can take over this supply for sure! Once the meter is fitted, reach out to us via Facebook, Twitter or email: hello@ovoenergy.com and we will start the process of applying for the gas supply. You'll get a faster response then PM'ing a single forum moderator, so I wouldn't recommend this option.
OK, thanks. Apparently I need to register with BG for 4 weeks when I get them to install the meter. Could you say, please, how much time roughly would it take to switch and how much notice do I need to give?
Userlevel 6
Badge
Hey @JohnPeters,

It takes 3 to 4 weeks to transfer between suppliers. As long as BG haven't fixed you into a contract, you should be free to leave once they've installed the meter and added the details to the national database.

Nancy
Thanks.