Solved

Just switched from British Gas - when do I hear from you?

• 23 July 2018
  • 1 reply

Hi, I've just switched my electricity account from BG to OVO. Why haven't I received an email or anything giving m,e my new account details? I have recently done similar with my gas account from BG to EDF and that account is almost up and running, I can already login and see what's happening. Any advise would be much appreciated. Is there a phone number I could ring to enquire perhaps?
icon

Best answer by Transparent 23 July 2018, 13:39

Hi @liaemars,

You should get a welcome email after about 3 days of starting the switch - maybe they have your email address down incorrectly.

I'm not sure what your actual switch date was, but I assume the fact that you can login means that you're able to access My OVO and see your account number.

It actually took about three weeks for my account to become fully live with OVO. I have no idea if this is typical.

As this is classed as a financial transaction, it's covered by the Consumer Credit Act, which means you have a statutory 14days cooling off period, during which you can revert to BG without penalty. So it would be unusual for a new supplier to implement much of the admin workload until this is over.

I assume you provided OVO with your meter reading on or about the Switch-Date?
This gets notified to the National Meter Database (ECOES), and a formal notification is sent by them to BG. So there is stuff happening in the background whilst you're waiting.

You can always phone OVO's Care Team on 0330 303 5063 if you want any further reassurance.
View original

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +3
Hi @liaemars,

You should get a welcome email after about 3 days of starting the switch - maybe they have your email address down incorrectly.

I'm not sure what your actual switch date was, but I assume the fact that you can login means that you're able to access My OVO and see your account number.

It actually took about three weeks for my account to become fully live with OVO. I have no idea if this is typical.

As this is classed as a financial transaction, it's covered by the Consumer Credit Act, which means you have a statutory 14days cooling off period, during which you can revert to BG without penalty. So it would be unusual for a new supplier to implement much of the admin workload until this is over.

I assume you provided OVO with your meter reading on or about the Switch-Date?
This gets notified to the National Meter Database (ECOES), and a formal notification is sent by them to BG. So there is stuff happening in the background whilst you're waiting.

You can always phone OVO's Care Team on 0330 303 5063 if you want any further reassurance.