Solved

Inherited Economy 7 Meter - how does it work?

• 15 March 2018
  • 4 replies

Please excuse my ignorance with this! Never had an economy 7 meter- I sort of know the premise of them but I do not use any power at night- no timer in washing machine or dryer to use overnight etc. No storage heaters or under floor heating either.

Will having this meter affect my energy bills? Very new to OVO- just started- first month in new house- on the monthly tariff looking to change to the fixed having read up a bit more 🙂 but couldn't get through to anyone on the phone and couldn't get the site to work- wifi not great here!!

Should I get the meter changed? Please enlighten me!! Thanks in advance 🙂
icon

Best answer by Transparent 15 March 2018, 15:53

Wow... this is a bigger topic than you might realise. Let me pick off a few points and then you can ask more if you want.

Firstly, just because you've found you have an E-7 meter doesn't mean that it's "active". You need to check your My OVO page to see if OVO has even recognised you have one. Some houses simply have an "old" meter present because no one bothered to come and take it away.

If you can't work it out, send an email to hello@ovoenergy.com with the Meter Number and ask them to check if they think it's been assigned to OVO as the Registered Supplier.

Secondly, if you do have an E-7 tariff, then your Standard-rate charges are higher. So there's no point paying for E-7 if you don't use it all!

In fact some OVO customers that do have E-7 devices connected use so little power between midnight and 7am that it's still worthwhile them sticking solely to the Standard Tariff.

Thirdly, E-7 isn't just for storage-rads and the suchlike. Some people use it to charge an Electric Vehicle overnight. Equally you could install a battery-stack which you charge cheap-rate and then run all your house-lighting "off-grid" from that stored charge.

Is that enough to think about initially?
View original

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +3
Wow... this is a bigger topic than you might realise. Let me pick off a few points and then you can ask more if you want.

Firstly, just because you've found you have an E-7 meter doesn't mean that it's "active". You need to check your My OVO page to see if OVO has even recognised you have one. Some houses simply have an "old" meter present because no one bothered to come and take it away.

If you can't work it out, send an email to hello@ovoenergy.com with the Meter Number and ask them to check if they think it's been assigned to OVO as the Registered Supplier.

Secondly, if you do have an E-7 tariff, then your Standard-rate charges are higher. So there's no point paying for E-7 if you don't use it all!

In fact some OVO customers that do have E-7 devices connected use so little power between midnight and 7am that it's still worthwhile them sticking solely to the Standard Tariff.

Thirdly, E-7 isn't just for storage-rads and the suchlike. Some people use it to charge an Electric Vehicle overnight. Equally you could install a battery-stack which you charge cheap-rate and then run all your house-lighting "off-grid" from that stored charge.

Is that enough to think about initially?
Thank you for your very helpful reply! I hadn't even considered the fact people could charge an electric vehicle overnight.

OVO asked me for two meter readings -night and day as initially I only put in one- not realising it was E7. I have since put both in.

I agree it will not make sense for us to be on the E7 as it definitely will never be used. I will try to contact OVO to confirm we can have the standard tariff and do not end up paying more- that's what I was really worried about- or swap the meter if they will do that.

Thanks again!
Userlevel 7
Badge +3
As you are still in your first month and haven't actually used any E-7 electricity, it is possible that OVO might offer to backdate your change to Standard-tariff only to when you started your contract. It's worthwhile asking, especially since you didn't know it was a dual meter in the first place.

Note that there's always a 14-day cooling off period at the start of any financial contract under the terms of the Consumer Credit Act. I don't know when you started with OVO, but you might still be within that fortnight.

I doubt you will need to change the meter.... unless for a different reason you wanted a Smart Meter installed.

If there's nothing physically connected to the (timed) E-7 output from the meter, then all your electrical devices will continue to operate 24hrs/day.
Brilliant thanks- I will give OVO a ring to clarify the things you have mentioned- and check our start date- I'm pretty sure it was officially this week. At least I will sound like I know what I am talking about now!! Much appreciated 🙂