Pinned Solved

If I leave OVO, how do I get my credit back?

• 27 February 2018
  • 15 replies

HI

What do I need to do when leaving Ovo? I have quite a large credit in my account, how do I go about getting this refunded once I leave Ovo?
icon

Best answer by Darran_OVO 12 March 2018, 18:02

Hi @TraceyH

If you are in credit now, but haven't yet initiated a switch to another supplier, then @imageh is correct, you can apply for this via MyOVO if you have given recent meter readings.

However if you initiate a switch to another supplier, you will not be able to claim a refund until the opening readings have been agreed between us and new supplier. We can then create a final bill for your account and any credit left will be automatically refunded to you.

Hope this helps.

Darran

**Updated 24/07/2019**

More info here.
View original

15 replies

Hi, Tracey. Go to the my ovo site, log in and select payments from the list on the left. On that page you should see Payments and Balance as the heading, and My Balance is on the right below the heading. Below that there is a button to click marked "Apply for a refund".
Userlevel 7
Badge +2
Hi @TraceyH

If you are in credit now, but haven't yet initiated a switch to another supplier, then @imageh is correct, you can apply for this via MyOVO if you have given recent meter readings.

However if you initiate a switch to another supplier, you will not be able to claim a refund until the opening readings have been agreed between us and new supplier. We can then create a final bill for your account and any credit left will be automatically refunded to you.

Hope this helps.

Darran

**Updated 24/07/2019**

More info here.
Userlevel 6
Badge
Just to add one thing to that @TraceyH - it can take up to 6 weeks to agree the reading and issue the final bill!

Nancy
I gave final meter readings as I have moved house. I'm not responsoble for bills at my new house so there was no need for me to switch. I cant apply for a refund because that option is greyed out. I have a lot of credit and cant see how I can claim this back as the information I found says that my new supplier will inform them, then the refund will be processed.
Hey @Missimorgan - I've moved your query over a thread on this very topic!

If your account has been closed down, any leftover credit will be automatically refunded 7 working days later.
Userlevel 6
Badge +1
@TraceyH Why would you want to leave an amazing energy supplier who are supporting greener energy with reasonable pricing and an amazing Forum community?
I left Ovo in September and habe had my final bill. I am now in credit. How do I get this?
Hey @Annemarietierney - I've just popped your query over to this thread. Just check out my response above!
I received my final statements in September and the final direct debit was on October 1st so i am now in credit. But it has not yet been refunded. When will this happen?
I can double check this for you @Annemarietierney - just send me a PM with your full name, account number and DoB.
I have left OVO. When can I safely cancel my direct debit please? I see it's been a problem for quite a few customers to get refunds from OVO as OVO has continued to take payment after customers have left. I'd rather not be paying OVO when my electricity is being supplied by someone else.
Userlevel 6
Badge +1
I have left OVO. When can I safely cancel my direct debit please? I see it's been a problem for quite a few customers to get refunds from OVO as OVO has continued to take payment after customers have left. I'd rather not be paying OVO when my electricity is being supplied by someone else.

@Debz

You can cancel the Direct Debit anytime, it wouldn't affect your refund if you did it on your end. If after your final statement is in debit rather than credit, you will just need to set it up again and pay the difference.
Userlevel 1
Hi. I have left Ovo, the switch was completed on the 19th March, payments to my new supplier are being made, so everything is fine at that end.
But Ovo, dear Ovo, why do I have problems with you. I've checked my payments, my bill etc on line, you took your Jan, Feb March payments, plus there was an additional payment in Feb.
I've checked payment history etc and on MAY 1ST, YOU took £117.01 and have stated that I am in credit by £32.52. I clicked to get a refund, but apparently "you" cant give me one. I know I have cancelled my DD with you, as I cant afford to pay both of you and i shouldn't have to anyway, but apparently i cant get a refund because i haven't a DD set up with you, and i know dam well, that if I hadn't of cancelled it, you'd still be taking the payments.
Now c'mon Ovo , can you please pull your finger out as the switch was completed on the 19th March and this is now 2nd May = 7 weeks.
Also, i keep getting dam letters, "sorry you're leaving", "your plan ended 13th April, we've changed you too blah blah blah" etc etc . Does anyone at Ovo actually know what they are doing, and speak to each other.
Userlevel 5
It sounds like your account was in debit when we generated your final statement, @Silversurfer, which is why the Direct Debit stayed active.

We can process a refund, you just won't be able to request this yourself on My OVO. Send the team an email on hello@ovoenergy.com to get this sorted!
Userlevel 1
thank you Eva, will email them now