Solved

I'm switching to OVO - why have they only taken my gas?

Userlevel 2
Badge
My switch from E.ON was confirmed on 26th September, but when I tried to input my November readings today, I was told that the electricity switch has not yet completed, but the gas has. How does that work?
icon

Best answer by Mw2870 5 November 2017, 17:47

Hi Andy.

I had a similar experience when I switched to OVO from NPower.

My Electricity and Gas were set to switch on exactly the same day, but subsequently when I tried to add meter readings on the website I was told that one of them had not switched.

I called customer service and was told that the message on the website is misleading, basically it means that they are waiting for the old supplier to confirm the opening reading, which you will have supplied around the date of the switch.

Why this happens at different times when you are switching from the same supplier, I have no idea! Maybe different computer systems, the joys of the energy market in the UK!

Anyway I found that a couple of weeks later I could add meter readings as normal. Hopefully you will have the same experience and that OVO can update the message on the website to make it more explanatory!
View original

19 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge
The electricity switch seems to have completed now.
Userlevel 5
Badge +2
Hi Andy.

I had a similar experience when I switched to OVO from NPower.

My Electricity and Gas were set to switch on exactly the same day, but subsequently when I tried to add meter readings on the website I was told that one of them had not switched.

I called customer service and was told that the message on the website is misleading, basically it means that they are waiting for the old supplier to confirm the opening reading, which you will have supplied around the date of the switch.

Why this happens at different times when you are switching from the same supplier, I have no idea! Maybe different computer systems, the joys of the energy market in the UK!

Anyway I found that a couple of weeks later I could add meter readings as normal. Hopefully you will have the same experience and that OVO can update the message on the website to make it more explanatory!
I switched from NPower at the beginning of October however my electricity account still hasn’t come across. Why is there a problem?
I’ve tried ringing Customer Services but cannot get an answer!
Userlevel 5
It sounds like Green Energy didn't pass on enough information to close your account when you last left us, @nubink. Our Transfers team will need to chase them for the missing information, this may take a few days and may be delayed due to the bank holidays.

We will be creating a new account for you, but this can only be done once the old one has closed.

You won't be able to go straight to Ofgem, this would need to be raised as complaint with us first. You can find out more about our complaints procedure here.
Userlevel 5
Badge +2
Already got in touch with OVO via email and the responses are summarised in my post above. Various timescales were mentioned which have all failed to be met!

Sorry to hear that. I'd suggest dropping the team a message on Facebook or Twitter so they can help further.

Lucy
Userlevel 7
Badge +2
I've got the same problem. I switched from NPower at the beginning of October but my electricity account still hasn't come across.
No-one seems to know why other than the earlier reply re end / start readings..

Just the same for me, gas transferred quickly but still waiting for electric. Old supplier closed my account with a final reading weeks ago.

It should take no longer then 6 weeks from your supply start date, whilst those change-over readings get sent to us. If it's been longer, send over a message to us via Facebook, Twitter or email (hello@ovoenergy.com) so we can chase them up!

Tim
Userlevel 7
Badge +2
@Billy49 sorry to hear this - if you wanted someone at OVO to take a look at this for you, send us a message via Facebook, Twitter or via email: hello@ovoenergy.com. The forum's more of a place for other users to help each other out with advice or opinions. That's why I wanted to see if Andy might be able to step in.

@Tosca99 I've left a reply here which might help with your query: https://forum.ovoenergy.com/my-account-myovo-34/my-ovo-isn-t-showing-my-electricity-usage-and-it-s-stopping-me-get-a-refund-can-you-help-1065.

Tim
Userlevel 2
Badge
I've just had a personal message from Tim_OVO Community Moderator to ask if I can help @Billy49. This seems a bit weird to me, as he's the one that should be doing the helping.
Userlevel 6
Badge
I switched over on 28th September and it is now 2nd December but the app and my account is now saying I am in the process of switching. I cannot provide meter reading and I do not understand what is happening and who I am with!

Please help!

Hey @Lozarus,

This could be a couple of things. Your online account would usually display this message if we've not been able to produce your first electricity bill. Once this is done, your MyOVO will be "live" and good to go.

We've probably not been able to produce the bill due to some missing information, either meter details or your opening reading, both of which are confirmed by your previous supplier.

Send me a PM with your account number, full name and DoB and I can check if this is the case, and sort it out if so.

Cheers,
Nancy
The same thing happened to me. I switched 25 September and gave closing meter readings to my old supplier. The gas reading appeared on my OVO account very quickly but two months later and I am getting the message from OVO for electricity: "still switching. We will ask for opening meter reading near your supply start date" - which as mentioned above was in September.
I switched over on 28th September and it is now 2nd December but the app and my account is now saying I am in the process of switching. I cannot provide meter reading and I do not understand what is happening and who I am with!

Please help!
I've got the same problem. I switched from NPower at the beginning of October but my electricity account still hasn't come across.
No-one seems to know why other than the earlier reply re end / start readings..
Just the same for me, gas transferred quickly but still waiting for electric. Old supplier closed my account with a final reading weeks ago.
I contacted customer services after 7 weeks to be told there must be a problem and to give it another 4 weeks. I contacted again after 11 weeks to be told I shouldn't have been advised 4 weeks as there was a problem with a number of new accounts and it wasn't clear how long it was going to take to resolve. However, I was advised not to worry as I am in credit. Although customer service staff are very friendly and cheerful, I have little confidence that they really know what is happening. Just very frustrating after choosing OVO based on good customer service reviews.
I switched from BG on 3 October, gas was ok, still can't enter the electricity reading as the switch is shown as not ready. Spoke to customer service who tell me the switch has taken place but there is a technical issue. On another occasion it was BG who have messed up. On another occasion it is the handshake process which is completed through a third party for compliance reasons which has gone wrong. On another occasion there are problems with those who switched at the end of September/October. Total lack of confidence in OVO at the moment, it seems I am not the only with this failed process, the process needs scrutiny and change, I haven't had this issue with other switches in the past.
Already got in touch with OVO via email and the responses are summarised in my post above. Various timescales were mentioned which have all failed to be met!
I thought this problem was particular to me. OVO confirmed we had switched as from 22 March and have started taking Direct Debits for Dual fuel however we have now received a huge bill from our previous provider based on single fuel, not direct debit, and the highest tariff as they tell us they are still providing our electricity. OVO have just said they have switched the wrong account and asked if we want them to switch the right account! They have told us we have to pay the huge bill to the previous provider as they are still providing our electricity.

This can't be ethical - OVO confirmed to us they had switched and now tell us they have done it wrong. They need to take responsibility for the additional costs arising from their errors.
Userlevel 6
Badge
Hi @Trisha B - I've answered your previous topic about this here.
Due to some monumental screw up with an old account, it appears that I am unable to have electricity brought over to Ovo.

I used to be with Ovo, Moved to Green Energy (which took a long time for Green Energy to be given the previous meter reading for some reason) and then back to Ovo after around 4 years.

The problem appears that the account was screwed up when we moved away from Ovo and was still active when we came back.

This has resulted in Gas moving over as planned and Electricity not.

Electricity is still with Green Energy and I am now on a MUCH MORE expensive tariff with them. In the mean time, I have been tld that there is a problem with my Ovo account and it is being worked out. I should be switched over by 14th April.

Now, I am promised 10 days from last Monday. As Green Energy haven't received the request to transfer in the past week, why would it all suddenly work now?

I am struggling to understand why it is taking so long. Green energy have a telephone number. Ovo have Telephones.

Pick one up and speak to somebody.

Also, if the account is so screwed that you can no longer use it for electricity, create another. Stop messing about with something that is broken.

My next move will be to contact OFGEM and ask their advise which I shall do on Thursday morning if I have received no explanation.

OH, one final comment; the only reason I know this is because I have contacted Ovo. Nobody has proactively contacted me.

Gary Newbrook