Solved

I'm switching away, can you to cancel my account?

• 20 December 2018
  • 1 reply

I have had to create an account with you as the previous occupier must of had the gas & electric through you.
I have gone else where for my gas and electric - So please cancel all bills/tariffs/etc
Thank you
Lorna
icon

Best answer by Nancy_OVO 21 December 2018, 15:18

Hi @Lorna1,

The process for closing down an account is a bit lengthier than simply initiating a switch away, unfortunately. I'll explain...

When you move into a new house, an energy provider will already be supplying the property with electricity (and gas if applicable). You'll need to set up an account with this provider, even if just temporarily, as they'll need to charge you for the energy you use with them.

If you then switch to another supplier, this will take around 3 weeks to complete. Around the day that you transfer to your new supplier, they'll ask for your opening meter readings. Once you've provided them, they'll send them to us so we can create your final bill to the same readings. This ensures there's no overlap in the energy you've paid for with either supplier.

The readings are also recorded with a central industry body. The process of receiving your readings and creating your final bill will take 4 to 6 weeks after having left us. We'll either email or post this to you, depending on how you opted to be contacted. You'll then either need to give us a ring or hop online to pay off anything outstanding. Alternatively, if you set up a Direct Debit with us, we may need to refund you any remaining credit on your account, which will take a further 5 to 7 days. After this, your account will be fully closed.

Hope this helps! Let me know if you have any more questions.

Cheers,
Nancy
View original

1 reply

Userlevel 6
Badge +4
Hi @Lorna1,

The process for closing down an account is a bit lengthier than simply initiating a switch away, unfortunately. I'll explain...

When you move into a new house, an energy provider will already be supplying the property with electricity (and gas if applicable). You'll need to set up an account with this provider, even if just temporarily, as they'll need to charge you for the energy you use with them.

If you then switch to another supplier, this will take around 3 weeks to complete. Around the day that you transfer to your new supplier, they'll ask for your opening meter readings. Once you've provided them, they'll send them to us so we can create your final bill to the same readings. This ensures there's no overlap in the energy you've paid for with either supplier.

The readings are also recorded with a central industry body. The process of receiving your readings and creating your final bill will take 4 to 6 weeks after having left us. We'll either email or post this to you, depending on how you opted to be contacted. You'll then either need to give us a ring or hop online to pay off anything outstanding. Alternatively, if you set up a Direct Debit with us, we may need to refund you any remaining credit on your account, which will take a further 5 to 7 days. After this, your account will be fully closed.

Hope this helps! Let me know if you have any more questions.

Cheers,
Nancy