Solved

How do I submit an initial meter read on switching...

• 7 December 2018
  • 1 reply

Had the email tonight to provide the first reading but when I accessed MyOvo it tells me "My electricity is on hold" - check my inbox. No email though. How do I know why it's on hold and how do I get my meter reading registered?
Any help appreciated.
icon

Best answer by Transparent 9 December 2018, 20:02

Hi @Sarek12000

There is a sequence of events which occurs when a customer switches Energy Supplier. The process involves the old and new suppliers communicating with the National Meter Database (ECOES) in response to Notifications which they are sent.

The old Supplier has a narrow window of time during which they can raise an Objection to the transfer occuring. Such an Objection must comply with the approved categories laid down in Ofgem's regulatory framework. An incorrect meter number would be a typical reason for a legitimate Objection.

There is also a statutory delay prescribed under the Consumer Credit Act (1974) whereby you have 14-days during which you can opt out of the new Contract without penalty.

At various times in the switching sequence your transfer is deemed "on hold". This is quite normal. OVO are simply waiting for the required timeframe before the next stage in the process kicks in.

To register your meter readings in the meantime, simply email them directly to Customer Services. This has the added benefit that you retain a time/date stamp of you providing the information.

View original

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hi @Sarek12000

There is a sequence of events which occurs when a customer switches Energy Supplier. The process involves the old and new suppliers communicating with the National Meter Database (ECOES) in response to Notifications which they are sent.

The old Supplier has a narrow window of time during which they can raise an Objection to the transfer occuring. Such an Objection must comply with the approved categories laid down in Ofgem's regulatory framework. An incorrect meter number would be a typical reason for a legitimate Objection.

There is also a statutory delay prescribed under the Consumer Credit Act (1974) whereby you have 14-days during which you can opt out of the new Contract without penalty.

At various times in the switching sequence your transfer is deemed "on hold". This is quite normal. OVO are simply waiting for the required timeframe before the next stage in the process kicks in.

To register your meter readings in the meantime, simply email them directly to Customer Services. This has the added benefit that you retain a time/date stamp of you providing the information.