Solved

Has anyone else had any issues with cancelling their switch to OVO?

• 25 December 2018
  • 3 replies

Hello,

I signed up online for a 2 year fixed rate tariff with Ovo on 18/12/18 however, 2 days later I changed my mind and rung Ovo on 20/12/18 to cancel the switch. I asked for a confirmation email to say that it’s been cancelled and when I checked my account the status of the switch was showing as cancelled. However, I have continued to receive emails from Ovo about that my direct debit will be set up soon and emails giving me an account number AFTER my cancellation. I was a bit concerned so when I checked my Ovo account again, it was no longer showing that my switch was cancelled but had it did say that if I wanted to cancel then to follow a link. So I did and tried to cancel again and since then my Ovo account is showing that it is cancelled again. After I cancelled online, they said that I would receive a confirmation email which I didn’t. Instead, I’ve received emails to say that my direct debit has been set up. I rung Ovo again to ask them to confirm that my switch has indeed been cancelled and they said it has. But soon after the phone call again, I received another email saying that my switch is still going ahead. I’m worried that they haven’t really cancelled my switch and that I will be stuck for 2 years. Has anyone else had any issues with cancelling their switch?

Thanks in advance,

C
icon

Best answer by Slinky 25 December 2018, 10:12

If you can take some screen shots of your account to prove you've cancelled your contract, it would be difficult for anyone to argue if you have proof.

Quite possibly you're experiencing similar problems to me, OVO's email system is chaotic at best. I complained about this only recently because emails to customer service are not assigned a unique reference number, consequently any replies received don't always seem to address the issue which is what you seem to be experiencing.

You shouldn't be stuck with a switch if you didn't want it to go ahead, you've already got proof that you've cancelled your request by way of emails to OVO. Likewise under the Direct Debit guarantee nobody can take money you haven't agreed to.

I think under the circumstances it would be better for you to telephone OVO again and ask them to double-check. Take the persons name and tell them that you keep getting emails stating your switch is still going ahead. Be persistent, you could always record the conversation to cover yourself!

Good luck 😉
View original

3 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +1
If you can take some screen shots of your account to prove you've cancelled your contract, it would be difficult for anyone to argue if you have proof.

Quite possibly you're experiencing similar problems to me, OVO's email system is chaotic at best. I complained about this only recently because emails to customer service are not assigned a unique reference number, consequently any replies received don't always seem to address the issue which is what you seem to be experiencing.

You shouldn't be stuck with a switch if you didn't want it to go ahead, you've already got proof that you've cancelled your request by way of emails to OVO. Likewise under the Direct Debit guarantee nobody can take money you haven't agreed to.

I think under the circumstances it would be better for you to telephone OVO again and ask them to double-check. Take the persons name and tell them that you keep getting emails stating your switch is still going ahead. Be persistent, you could always record the conversation to cover yourself!

Good luck 😉
Thanks very much for your reply Slinky. I did call them twice and continued to receive the emails. I decided to put it all in writing too and have since received a reply to confirm it the switch has been cancelled.
Userlevel 4
Badge +1
@Coffeepot3000

Please to hear you've had a confirmation email, I shouldn't worry about those erroneous emails, they're probably an auto-generated response. Dumb robots!!