Solved

Entered wrong meter reading when I moved in - can this be changed?

• 25 September 2017
  • 8 replies

I could not locate my gas meter as I have just moved in and wasn't sure where it was, but I had to provide opening meter readings, so I estimated the gas reading based on the reading on the final bill from the last tenants. I have now located my gas meter however, and my estimate was too high. Can I correct the opening gas reading I gave to you?
icon

Best answer by Lucy_OVO 12 October 2017, 17:53

I could not locate my gas meter as I have just moved in and wasn't sure where it was, but I had to provide opening meter readings, so I estimated the gas reading based on the reading on the final bill from the last tenants. I have now located my gas meter however, and my estimate was too high. Can I correct the opening gas reading I gave to you?

Hey jackgreed,

When a customer moves into a new property, we’ll need some opening readings. If a customer can’t provide these readings, they can leave them blank as the old tenant should have provided closing readings.

If you need us to look at the estimate that’s been used to open your account, please get in touch with the team on Facebook confirming your name, DoB and OVO account number.

P.s. I’ve altered the title of your topic slightly so it’s easier for other users to locate!

Lucy
View original

8 replies

@Ed_OVO, I am completely confused. The only thing I can see is that I could leave it blank??? But that doesn't make sense...

I haven't moved house

I don't use Facebook.

So, where is the relevance? What tells me how to read the meter that I have?

If this is the level of support on the online version of the OVO account, I think that I would rather pay the £2.50 per month and get some telephone support.

I'm a bit frustrated at the whole "onboarding" experience at the moment
Userlevel 5
Badge +2

Hey jackgreed,

When a customer moves into a new property, we’ll need some opening readings. If a customer can’t provide these readings, they can leave them blank as the old tenant should have provided closing readings.

If you need us to look at the estimate that’s been used to open your account, please get in touch with the team on Facebook confirming your name, DoB and OVO account number.

P.s. I’ve altered the title of your topic slightly so it’s easier for other users to locate!

Lucy
Userlevel 5
Badge
Hey @nubink,

I appreciate your frustration, @Ed_OVO, was simply trying to point you in a direction that may have been some assistance.

Without knowing the type of meter you have it is difficult for me to advise how to read the meter, I would recommend giving our team a call as soon as possible on: 0330 303 5063 Our opening hours are 8am-6pm Monday to Friday.

Thanks!
I got confused between the gas and electricity readings and put the gas reading into the electricity section, the figure was accepted although it couldn't possibly be correct, it was vastly lower that my previous electricity usage figure. Now I can't change it because there appears to be no provision for amending incorrect readings. Can anyone advise how to deal with this problem please?
Userlevel 6
Badge
Hi @David Danson - I've moved your post over here where you should be able to find the information you need!
As I have received no response, I have submitted the value as read from the meter and will see what "The System" has to say for itself.

I will try and give feedback when I get a response back - apparently it can take 4 to 6 weeks for this process to finish.

Why I wonder..?
When submitting what I had worked out to be the correct value, the initial meter reading system told me that I was wrong.

What do I do now?

The meter was a smart meter installed by my previous supplier.
Userlevel 2
Badge
Hi @nubink, I've moved your message to this topic, as there some relevant information here!

Thanks,
Ed