Solved

Didn't get a reply - I'm leaving OVO and due a refund, how do I go about this?

• 16 October 2018
  • 4 replies

My contract with OVO is up soon (Nov) so I will be looking to switch as I dislike the new 'don't contact us' policy. I am also in credit - didn't want to claim this back and have some sort of penalty thrown at me, if my next DD didn't cover my usage. As far as I can see, it is better to claim this back myself, rather than rely on a new provider to agree meter readings - is this correct? If so, in order to avoid any penalty (I think it used to be called an online discount when I signed up but has changed to a reward, which is different entirely!) when is the best time to claim back my refund please?
Thanks
icon

Best answer by Nancy_OVO 19 October 2018, 18:28

Hi @Debz - it can take up to 6 weeks for the readng to be agreed and both your final bills to be produced. A refund of any remaining credit will take a further 3 to 5 working days, and should happen automatically after your account is officially closed. The absolute maximum time frame we're looking at is therefore 7 weeks. If you haven't noticed the refund in your account after that, then there may be something that needs our intervention and chasing up. You're more than welcome to get in touch at this point.

Hope this helps
View original

4 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +2
Hi @Debz,

The change to Self Service Rewards (from Online Discount) is already generating plenty of discussion over here on the forum:
https://forum.ovoenergy.com/ovo-loyalty-rewards-and-t-c-s-52/new-self-service-reward-what-s-changing-4915

As this was a substantial change to the terms & conditions, OVO have had to wave the exit fees for 30 days. This is what my email said on the 22nd September.

While we hope that you will like our new, simpler Self Service Reward, you are free to switch to another supplier in the next 30 days if you don't agree with our changes. If you do, you won't be charged any exit fees, and you will continue to earn the Online Discount until you move to your new supplier.

Personally, although I don't like the way this has been implemented, I won't be switching yet, I will wait until my tariff expires and check my options at the time. My current deal is better than anything that is available in the current market.

If I were you and you do decide to switch, I would take a meter reading a couple of days before your switch (and submit to OVO) and again on the day of the switch (and submit to your new supplier). When OVO send you your final statement they will refund any credit balance.
The hold up here is normally OVO waiting for the new supplier to send them the closing reading.
Userlevel 6
Badge
Hi @Debz - it can take up to 6 weeks for the readng to be agreed and both your final bills to be produced. A refund of any remaining credit will take a further 3 to 5 working days, and should happen automatically after your account is officially closed. The absolute maximum time frame we're looking at is therefore 7 weeks. If you haven't noticed the refund in your account after that, then there may be something that needs our intervention and chasing up. You're more than welcome to get in touch at this point.

Hope this helps
I left Ovo on 23rd Feb. I'm still waiting for final.bills and a refund. I cancelled my direct debit as money was taken out in March after I left so I was paying two suppliers.
How do I get this sorted. I was told that it would all be done within 4-6 weeks.
Userlevel 6
Badge
Hey @Schartres - I've moved your comment over here where you should be able to find the info you need.