Solved

I'm not an OVO customer - why have I been sent an email which is linked to another account?

• 21 September 2018
  • 5 replies

I am really concerned

It would seem OVO has had some IT issues as today I received an email saying my terms and conditions had changed. I am not and have never been an OVO customer.

Anyway I tried to log on, had to reset the password - to my email address and got someone else's account

Of course OVO are now shut until Monday

Seems like a massive data breach to me
icon

Best answer by Tim_OVO 24 September 2018, 09:57

It would seem OVO has had some IT issues as today I received an email saying my terms and conditions had changed. I am not and have never been an OVO customer. Seems like a massive data breach to me

Not good @warwick65

Your email is probably linked to another account - it might be a typo from the customer when they signed up.

I'll PM you now to get some details, change the email address and then raise this with our GDPR team.

Thanks,
Tim
View original

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +2
Oh... that doesn't sound right @warwick65.

But OVO aren't shut til Monday. You can still reach them on 0330 303 5063 until 5pm on Saturdays. And this Forum is live 24/7.

From the description you provide, it looks to me that any "hack" is likely to be your email account rather than something at OVO. I suggest you contact your ISP as soon as possible.

The Terms & Conditions Notice has indeed gone to all Pay-Monthly Customers. OVO will be able to check who has registered your email address with them, but will restricted in what they can tell you because of the Data Protection Act. After all, the whole point is that you are not an OVO customer.

Nevertheless, it's in everyone's interest for OVO to investigate this. They will presumably contact your ISP themselves, which will add weight to your complaint.
Hi
I have been at work.all day and based my thought yhey were closed on their message on their phone line...do do they lie as well?

I do fail to see how a hack on my email could cause this. How would a hacker be able to access a completely unrelated account and change the email address.

My email is secured with two factor security.
Userlevel 7
Badge +2
I'm sorry, @warwick65, I'm not following you.

When you wrote
Anyway I tried to log on, had to reset the password - to my email address and got someone else's account ...
I assumed you were logging in to your email account...
... which is why I suggested that it had been hacked when you said you got someone else's account.

On reflection, are you in fact saying that you attempted to log in to OVO using your email address, and then reset the password?

If so, then I don't see that this was a "hack" at all.

Surely the simpler explanation is that someone@OVO has simply incorrectly entered a customer's email address and the typo happens to be your genuine address?

And if you're unable to speak to OVO by telephone during work hours, you can always email Customer Services hello@ovoenergy.com and point them to this Forum thread by way of explanation.
Hi
I see what you are saying but let me explain

The customer has been a customer of OVO for several years and even had the bill by email on Sept 6th. There is no similarity in email addresseses with different first names and providers.

I will be calling tomorrow and if necessary emailing appropriate people.
Userlevel 6
Badge +2
It would seem OVO has had some IT issues as today I received an email saying my terms and conditions had changed. I am not and have never been an OVO customer. Seems like a massive data breach to me

Not good @warwick65

Your email is probably linked to another account - it might be a typo from the customer when they signed up.

I'll PM you now to get some details, change the email address and then raise this with our GDPR team.

Thanks,
Tim

Cookie policy

We use cookies to enhance and personalize your experience. If you accept you agree to our full cookie policy. Learn more about our cookies.

Accept cookies Cookie settings