Customer Experience at OVO Energy - Good or Bad? We want to hear from you!

• 9 July 2019
  • 9 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

OVO Energy is growing fast and as such, we want to make sure that as we grow we continue to deliver an amazing customer experience to all our existing and new customers.

Therefore we need you all to help us continue improving by telling us what you like and don't like about our customer service and the overall experience of being an OVO customer.

Please get commenting below to share you experiences. Don't be shy, we can only improve if you tell us where we are not quite hitting the mark, and can only continue to be amazing in the areas you rate as customers if you share the good times too!

We look forward to reading your comments, get posting and help support us in making OVO Energy even better for all of you!

9 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge
I joined OVO after hearing a radio interview with your founder a few years ago. I was impressed with what I heard and decided to makle the switch the same day. Since then I have been impressed with the customer service that I have received although I am also more impressed that I rarely need to contact you!

Initally OVO was very competitively priced and fgeatured as a Which best buy. The price advantage has been eroded by other smaller players some of which were obviously not financially robust enough and eventually failed. I think OVO taking over these customers is one of the factors that is impacting OVO's current standing as it is not planned growth.

Unlike some contributions I really like the statements. They are clear and provide all the details necessary. I am also a fan of the My Ovo detailed energy usage graphs.

I also like the forum area with its friendly atmoshere. In fact friendy is an adjative that applies to all aspects of OVO interaction imho.

The system that suggests changes to direct debits in order to balance annual expenditure needs serious work. I have had wide swings in "suggested" monthly payments. However as OVO pays a really good rate of interest on credit balances I think of it as a savings account.

My smart meter has been working flawlessly since it was installed so I have no problem with that.
I have been with OVO since 2013, I switched to OVO from SSE when they were the first of the big Six to announce a big increase in price that year. I had had enough and decided it was time to move. When I joined OVO they offered a more competitive price and were a smaller company who listened to their customers.

I have been happy as an OVO customer since that time. What I like is that you listen to your customers. If I have a problem and need to contact you I can rely on the fact that it will be resolved.

As some of you will know, I am not keen on Smart Meters. When I was initially contacted by OVO about them about 4 years ago, I let them know I was not interested and since then I have had no hard sell- thank you OVO.

There is lots of content on this forum about direct debits and billing. In my case I am quite happy. I give OVO my meter readings every month, OVO send me a statement and my direct debit is stable. I find that if you know how much energy you use, ensure your direct debit is sufficient to cover your use through the year it all works very well. Yes, I am generally in credit with OVO which keeps my direct debit stable, but they pay me 5% interest on my balance and its more than I get from my savings account.

What don’t I like?

My biggest bugbear is the design and format of the monthly statements. My OVO monthly statement is 8 pages long, why is it so complicated??? I have to get to page 3 just to find how much I have been charged this month and page 4 and 5 to find out how much electricity and gas I have used. I’m sure the response will be we have to include xxx and yyy in the statement. However I have to look after my mothers EDF energy account and their statements are MUCH simpler and easy to understand.

I think these statements need re-designing from scratch. Start with how much energy I have used and what you are charging me, compare it to last month or last year, but put everything else in another document. Make the statement just that a statement of what I have used and what I am being charged. Simplicity is key here.

Finally, I am not sure about the future. OVO is getting bigger and I notice that if you look at the Citizens Advice customer service scores OVO are now 24 out of 39, that’s 23 companies doing better.

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/about-us/how-citizens-advice-works/citizens-advice-consumer-work/supplier-performance/energy-supplier-performance/compare-domestic-energy-suppliers-customer-service/

Is this because OVO is getting too big? OVO only get one star for easy to contact, does this reflect the fact that they have taken on too many new customers?

I also need to consider my future with OVO. My 2 year fixed rate deal ends in November and I am starting to look at what I will do next. Using my last years energy usage and having looked at current tariffs, if I were to switch to the latest 2 year Better Energy all online my annual bill will be just over £160 (~16%) more than I am paying now. Again looking at the competition and focusing on those with good customer service reviews, there are several deals where I would be paying the same as I am now. I will keep this under review until its time to renew but I am not sure I can justify staying with OVO if the price differential remains.
Userlevel 5
I signed up to OVO specifically to be involved in Vehicle to Grid. That was almost a year ago and I'm still waiting to get the charger fitted. On top of that the deal I negotiated, having come out of a previous 2 year deal early, isn't right for V2G and I have to change again from Economy 7 to 24 hour rate and as the price has gone up since then a new contract is going to cost more, something I wasn't told when I signed up. Even with the extra money per kW it's likely I'll hardly make anything at all extra.....and compared with the deal I was previously on, may mean I'm out of pocket.

I still want to help out on the trials but feel as though I'll actually be paying OVO for the trial rather than the other way round...

Other than that I haven't any complaints with the service, in fact very happy with it. If you can just organises something, one way or the other with the V2G I'll be over the moon...
Userlevel 3
Badge
Glad to see some sensible comments already that I agree with, like cumbersome overcomplicated statements and the worry that OVO has dramatically slipped down the UK energy supplier tables.

After a bit of a mess up with my tariff rates on switching to OVO over a year ago things went well until I opted for SMETS2 meters last month. The "sales" description looked good but the promised IHD to be installed on the day didn't happen. I was told one would arrive. Two weeks later nothing. Emailed in and told one would be ordered, but still nothing.

The 6 to 8 week timeframe for my account to get sorted after having smart meters is too long. Like others I have a credit balance that I cannot get refunded because the app says I have to wait for my next account statement. Why not refund high balances before a smart meter is installed or st least warn customers their credit is frozen?

The self service reward is a good idea but I am never sure whether contacting OVO will disqualify me from getting it. The T&C for it are vague. If I have a question at a supermarket customer service desk I wouldn't expect to loose loyalty points or be charged extra.

Will I be with OVO when my 2 year rate ends? Three months ago I would have said probably. Now it's a probably not.
Userlevel 1
Loving the online focus and forums based customer service very much.

Like others, bit of a rough experience on Smart Meters, but I'm sure that's industry wide. I still think OVO could've done better in terms of a more pro active, consistent and orderly approach to the smart meter IHD calculations bug, but I expect OVO will learn from the experience.

Like others have said, our suggested direct debit calculations also haven't been very stable.

Message/email based customer service has been a bit weak, to be honest. The forum based customer support has been EXCELLENT: friendly, helpful and informative.

Will be a shame to leave. Our deal ends on September but it'll be a busy month, so we'll be checking our options mid August. Hoping the price point with OVO fixed deals can justify staying.
Userlevel 3
Badge
Overall my experience as a customer has been great. I've had very little need to contact OVO and my bills are self-explanatory. I like the account information on the website it's very easy to follow and I've had no problem at all with my smart meter.
The only time I had any issue was after I split up with my husband. Trying to get him taken off the account was a nightmare, every person I spoke to told me something different and none of it worked. Eventually after several weeks I spoke to someone who knew exactly what to do and everything has been fantastic since.
My experience prior to getting Smart Meters was fine. Only needed to contact you once just after I switched and that was resolved.

My main issue at present is related to the ongoing issue I have with my electric Smart Meter which was installed on 17th April. Both meters were working when the engineer left and then the electric meter stopped sending readings and disconnected from the IHD on 22nd Apr. Since then it's done nothing. Gas Mater is working fine and sending readings.

I've contacted the Customer Care Team and chased via email and so far it's been very poor in terms of communication on what is happening. I keep checking this forum for any updates as I've not been kept informed any other way.

I understand that "resolution" is likely to take 2-3 months, which seems like the issue isn't easily rectified by either yourselves or a 3rd party.

I've been submitting my electric readings on a regular basis like I was doing before the Smart Meters were installed and am slightly worried what would happen should I decide to move away from OVO when my current deal expires in October and the elec meter is still not sending readings and connecting to the IHD.

All in all, not a great Smart Meter experience.
Userlevel 3
Badge
Service always spot on here, but... I'm also coming out of 2 year fix, and Ovo is one of the most pricey going forward. British gas have just lowered prices! We are prepared to pay a bit more for good service, but the price difference is significant now.

The self service reward is a good idea but I am never sure whether contacting OVO will disqualify me from getting it. The T&C for it are vague. If I have a question at a supermarket customer service desk I wouldn't expect to loose loyalty points or be charged extra.

I agree, I am starting to think this was introduced as OVO were expanding and before they took on all the Economy Energy customers, and they knew they could not provide sufficient customer support if they did not change the system.

I think costs should be lower for those managing their accounts online i.e give meter readings online and paperless billing, email contact but other suppliers offer lower prices without restricting customers from contacting customer services if they feel they need to.

It does not send a good message to customers, and is what I would expect from the big six and not OVO.