Customer Experience at OVO Energy - Good or Bad? We want to hear from you!

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

OVO Energy is growing fast and as such, we want to make sure that as we grow we continue to deliver an amazing customer experience to all our existing and new customers.

Therefore we need you all to help us continue improving by telling us what you like and don't like about our customer service and the overall experience of being an OVO customer.

Please get commenting below to share you experiences. Don't be shy, we can only improve if you tell us where we are not quite hitting the mark, and can only continue to be amazing in the areas you rate as customers if you share the good times too!

We look forward to reading your comments, get posting and help support us in making OVO Energy even better for all of you!

38 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

@SarSay- I agree with @Ed_OVO. OVO score very high in the annual Which? report on domestic Energy Suppliers. Very few of their customers reach the stage of taking their issue to the Office of the Energy Ombudsman.

If this all went wrong with having a SMETS1 Smart Meter four years ago, then I think that can be resolved.

Firstly there are National databases which hold records of all domestic meters; ECOES for electricity, and Xoserve for gas. Even if OVO have made a mistake, those databases will show what meters were fitted where, and the readings whenever an exchange or switch was instigated.

Secondly, OVO use an external 3rd party, Morrison Data Services, to handle all aspects of meter records. These records are separate to the ones used for Billing within OVO themselves.

If these records don’t all match each other, then OVO will need to offer a financial remedy.

Please use the system. It works!

Post here again if you need clarification.

Userlevel 4
Badge

Have you tried going down the route of escalating a complaint with ourselves @SarSay?

I’d recommend going through the complaints process with us first, as we may be able to get this resolved for you here. Further info on the procedure here.

I’m sorry you feel like you’ve exhausted all options to get this solved, but I really do feel it’s worth trying to solve it through to complaints process.

Thank you Amy

Re: Sarah Sayer 

but sadly after 4 years I’ve probably emailed and rung your numbers enough times and got nowhere ….. so really what is the point?

I’m happy to go to Court now over the bill because then they can see what OVO have done and I can get the Press involved too.

Sarah Sayer

Userlevel 6
Badge

I’m really sorry to hear of your experience, @SarSay, we really need to have access to your account, so that we can best offer help, please reach out to the team. 

You can send us a message on Facebook, Twitter or email the team on hello@ovoenergy.com. You can reach our team on: 0330 303 5063. Our opening hours are 8am-6pm Monday to Friday. The line will say for emergencies only at the moment, but please hold until you reach an agent. 

This topic my be of help to you. 

Thanks. 

Firstly switching to OVO was the biggest mistake of my life! The stress caused by them through cancer and epilepsy 🤦‍♀️😞 ZERO HELP!!

No grant so don’t expect one even though I don’t have a job.

Smart meters 4 years ago have completed messed up my bills and up until that point I had never missed a payment in my life. 

OVO won’t admit it just lie and lie.

I’ve never dealt with such bad customer service. One department doesn’t know what the other is doing! Thrr Er y don’t communicate and Ive been a legal secretary for 30 years so know what I’m talking about.

any advice, anyone…..,.. thinking of writing to Piers Morgan now SERIOUSLY get him to sort them out!’ 

Userlevel 3

I have had good customer experience with OVO, I know it's early days yet as I have only been with OVO for 9 months !

Since joining OVO, like other customers, I have had a few issues with usage data on my smart meter but it is resolved now and my emails are always replied to which is in contrast to my previous energy supplier which had notoriously bad customer service !

Scottish Power also refused to install a gas smart meter as they reckoned the signal was too weak despite me offering to remove the lid that was part of a cupboard that was enclosing my old gas meter.

By contrast when I joined OVO last July, within a few weeks I had both smart meters installed and my gas smart meter is able to send a signal after I removed the lid.

I told the installer what I was told that it was not possible to install a gas smart meter in my home and he said if the worse comes to the worse he would install it on the MESH system (whatever that is)

As it turns out I didn't need MESH anyway.

OVO keep up the good work !

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Hi @lepirate 

Sorry to hear you haven’t had a good experience with OVO. I do not work for OVO, just a customer like yourself and love to help other customers. 

If you weren’t happy with the service and want to provide feedback, it might be best to raise a complaint by clicking on the link below

https://www.ovoenergy.com/feedback

Sad people.. If you get the option leave these people as quick as you can.. Problems take a long time to get sorted, if ever, and you will end up paying far more than you thought.. Run away..  Bunch of scutters.. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +4

Hi @NoPoke - As I’m sure we’ve mentioned on other topics on the forum recently, any errors on customer bills have now been corrected and Ofgem have accepted this.

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

@mcursue 

I just sent you a private message which may be of interest :slight_smile:

I’m sorry to hear of your experience, @mcursue, not good enough at all. We wouldn’t expect you to pay the full amount in one go, if you’d like to discuss a payment plan option please reach out to the team. 

You can send us a message on Facebook, Twitter or email the team on hello@ovoenergy.com. You can reach our team on: 0330 303 5063. Our opening hours are 8am-6pm Monday to Friday.

Thanks! 

IT’S NOT ABOUT THE MONEY!!!  I want you to take the money and let me leave you to join a company that is not totally incompetent.  I do not want a payment plan.  Just take the money and leave me alone.

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

@NoPoke

LOL…, maybe I should have ignored mine :laughing:

Userlevel 5
Badge +1

I don't recall seeing an annual statement. Perhaps that is why my bills seem to be correct? ;)

Userlevel 6
Badge

Hey @NoPoke and @Slinky

We don’t always get things right and accept Ofgem’s findings. We apologise to any members affected and can reassure you that all issues are now resolved. We hold ourselves to extremely high standards, and we have worked hard to put things right. 

We’ve written a blog here to explain this news in more detail. We’re really sorry that we haven’t lived up to our own high standards. We remain committed to providing the best experience possible for our members. 

Userlevel 6
Badge

I’m sorry to hear of your experience, @mcursue, not good enough at all. We wouldn’t expect you to pay the full amount in one go, if you’d like to discuss a payment plan option please reach out to the team. 

You can send us a message on Facebook, Twitter or email the team on hello@ovoenergy.com. You can reach our team on: 0330 303 5063. Our opening hours are 8am-6pm Monday to Friday.

Thanks! 

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

@NoPoke 

Whether you provide manual readings or have a SMART meter like me is immaterial, errors do happen on bills and I have plenty of proof of that. I didn’t pay attention to projections either as that information is useless if it isn’t accurate. As for the usage graphs.., well I suppose some people might find them useful.

BTW, thank you for posting that link about Ovo Energy to pay £8.9m for overcharging customers, it’s interesting to read an d certainly highlights my own problems. I have no way of knowing for sure if I’ve genuinely been overcharged because OVO won’t provide me with a revised annual statement despite admitting that my original one is wrong by over 900 kWh!!

Referring to the above report I think this line sums up OVO’s attitude nicely

In its report, the watchdog said: "Ovo explained that it did not believe it was an efficient use of resources to process 120,000 small value refunds."

Small value refunds or not if each one was only around £10 that’s still £1.2 Million OVO has pocketed from it’s customers. 

Have you been overcharged? Email haveyoursay@bbc.co.uk

I’m prepairing an email as we speak :wink:

Userlevel 5
Badge +1

I provide monthly readings so I'm unsure how OVO can mess up and get my bill wrong. As far as I can tell they have not got my bill wrong. TBH I don't look at the projections and the usage graph has been a mess on more than one occasion but neither has impacted my bill. Perhaps if I did not provide regular readings?

Then there is this https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-51292695  Which makes me wonder under what circumstances OVO get customers bills incorrect.

Why am I quitting Ovo?

Probably because they messed up my migration from Economy Energy.  And then they messed up installing smart meters.  After they tried to bill me for the old meter as well as the new meter, I asked them to take a look.  It turns out they haven’t been charging me for electricity for a year so I have a £700 balance.

Fortunately I can afford it but can you imagine that hitting a vulnerable customer?

And on top of this nonsense a complete lack of support from their customer team.

Need I say more?

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

@Merryharry

I’ve found that once you do inititate the complaint the onus is on you to make sure OVO are following it through, hence why I didn’t find the process very user friendly.

I hope you get it sorted soon anyway, best of luck! :wink:

I have so. Many official complaints that's not a problem:) just want to get out :) once my bills etc are sorted then I can be on my way :) 

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

@Merryharry 

I’ve more or less answered these questions in my other reply here:

Changing supplier with the first generation of smart meters - bad move?

You’ll have to raise an official complaint before you can take it to the Ombudsman, you can find info about how to complain here: Want to make a complaint?

Personally I’ve not found the system of complaining to be very user friendly in as much that OVO will send you a reply but then ask you to respond within 24 hours or they will close your complaint. At least that’s how it worked for me. I’ve been playing ping-pong with them the last few days sending replies back and forth but it seems very much as though they’re just trying to wear me down. Nobody at OVO seems to take responsibility when you do complain, I’ve had a different person email me each time so there’s little or no continuity in what is being said.

They’ve gone through the motions of trying to phone me but on both occasions they only let it ring for a few short seconds so not even long enough to answer it.

I don’t think any of us would renew if we knew what kind of problems we might endure. Being misold a product might be a difficult thing to prove but you can demonstrate OVO’s negligeance in failing to administer your account correctly.  I’d recommend keeping all communications from OVO so you can provide the necessary evidence should your complaint make it to the ombudsman.

I'm in the same boat as you, as you know:( how easy was it to change to octypus while your investigations are going on. I think I also will need to go to ofgem also, especially if my exit fees aren't waived. I renewed not knowing the problems I would have, so feel I have been misold a product:(

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

@Eva_OVO

Thank for your feedback, whilst I welcome their investigation into my account I think it’s probably more important that they’ve understood the original question which I don’t think they have. The above mentioned response from Rachael seemed to suggest otherwise. Needless to say I have replied back once again to ask for clarification. Rachael did send me her own calculations (see below) for the annual statement period but these seem wrong also.

Rachaels calculations...v.s. Annual Statement

Electricity 2413 kWh 

making a difference of 181 kWh

Gas 6091 kWh

making a difference of 928 kWh

As you can see Rachaels revised figures are completely different to what is shown on my annual statments and also completely different to what is shown on my monthly statments added together for that same period. It just doesn’t make sense! How can any customer have faith in OVO if they can’t even work out our bills correctly? This has been my main gripe for the last few years. I’ve need to contact OVO far to many times over billing issues. 

Lets see what the next respondent comes back with and how long it will take to reply. My next step will be to make an ‘Official Complaint’, something that perhaps I should have done long ago!

Userlevel 5

We won’t be able to give a time frame for this without looking at your account, @Slinky, we also can’t say for sure whether your exit fees can be waived either. 

If you don’t use social media, I’d recommend giving the team a call instead they’re available Monday-Friday 8am-6pm on 0330 303 5063 - this won’t affect your SSR. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

@Amy_OVO

Thank you for showing an interest.

Ongoing issue seems to be an understatment. Personally I feel that OVO have singled me out for unfair treatment, I don’t see anyone else making these kind of complaints. 

Yes the time frames for responding to emails (within 48 hours) is very misleading and seems to suggest that problem solving is not important to OVO.

I started my switch to Octopus a few days ago now which will probably now be delayed until someone at OVO decides to take responsibility for these mistakes. All I’m asking is that I am treated fairly and that my ‘Annual Statement’ is corrected and any refunds due are paid back promptly. The final paragraph from OVO’s latest reply seems distinctly uninterested in solving anything

I apologise for any confusion caused but thank you for bringing the error to our attention and we can investigate further.

Kind regards,

Rachael

This email raises further questions, like when will OVO investigate this problem? When will they contact me with further help? Will they be putting the problem right? Will they waive my exit fees for treating me unfairly for the last 2-3 years?

It seems a solution is only something I can wonder about right now. 

Regarding Facebook/Twitter, I don’t use either platform so if you have any better solutions I’m all ears?

Thanks