Almost halving my electricity usage (and bill)

• 5 July 2018
  • 2 replies

Thought i'd share my experience: Smart meter fitted about 7 weeks ago. It quickly confirmed what I knew - that we were using a lot of electricity.
One quiet morning I decided to find out what might be possible, how low could it go?:
One by one I powered down EVERYTHING until I reached zero energy use, and then one by one found out what each appliance or device was consuming albeit in standby mode for the most part.
It clearly identified a culprit and what seems to be for a massive 40%+ of my bill. That item has now been switched off for the entire month and lo and behold my monthly usage has dropped significantly, and my bill fallen from high £90's to just under £60 for the month.
Okay, it is the summer and consumption "ought" to be lower in any case although we have never witnessed that particular phenomenon as our usage/bill has always been around the £90-100/month mark.

2 replies

Userlevel 2
Hi markfiveo - it’s great that you managed this. I find it next to impossible to do this now that OVO have removed the ability to monitor live energy consumption. I’m going to go back to my old Loop energy meter system.

Out of interest - what was the culprit? You could help many people (and the planet) by naming and shaming...
The culprit was an immersion tank. I understand that under building regs, installing C/H in an old property meant also having to have an immersion tank (supplementary or backup hot water?) that unbeknown to me was permanently on. Using the Smart Meter enabled me to see that there was something significant consuming my energy when everything else had been powered off. Simples really but I was unaware that the tank element was on 24/7.
A friend in a brand new property also discovered the same situation having been told it was more economic to have the immersion tank on than using instant hot water from the C/H. Pah.

Cookie policy

We use cookies to enhance and personalize your experience. If you accept you agree to our full cookie policy. Learn more about our cookies.

Accept cookies Cookie settings