Blog

Share your new year eco-pledges for 2022

• 30 December 2021
  • 3 replies
Share your new year eco-pledges for 2022
Userlevel 7

Making a green resolution for the New Year

Another year draws to a close giving the perfect opportunity to reflect on the year past and the changes we’d like to make for the year ahead - A turning of the year being prime time to set some new green habits.

As COP26 demonstrated, there’s still plenty of action we need to take on our global journey to net zero carbon emissions. Whilst progress might be too slow on the international scale, we know the best way to stay optimistic is to share - good news, ideas and motivation in the green changes that are happening in our own lives.

In the spirit of accountability, we encourage you to share the changes, however big or small, that you hope to make in 2022. Need a bit of inspiration? Check out the pledges made by some of the team at OVO here, including mine, at number 1 on the list:

Reduce those air miles

“I’m totally aware of the carbon impact of my itchy feet, so a couple of years ago I made what was (in hindsight), the perfectly timed year-long flight-free pledge1. 

“Happily, it gave me the chance to explore hidden spots closer to home. From wild swimming in Somerset to seal-spotting in Pembrokeshire. I know I might not be able to swear myself off flying completely, but I’m keen to limit my air miles as much as possible.

“But cutting out flying isn’t the most economical resolution! Whilst you can still pick up cross-continental flights for cheaper than a UK train ticket – the alternatives can be up to 4 times more expensive. And it’s nowhere near as convenient. A 48-hour coach journey to Spain just doesn’t have the same appeal! 

“So, this year, rather than considering the journey as something that must just be endured, I’m reframing it as part of the experience. I’m currently planning my train trip to Berlin to include a night in Brussels and maybe lunch in Cologne. A chance to get up close and personal with the places I’d usually just fly over unaware!” 

Jess Pritchard, Forum Moderator

Read more about the carbon footprint of flying and your eco travel alternatives in our blog 

Don’t forget to keep us posted on how you found keeping to your eco-pledge - no judgement here!  :blush:

3 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

As "carbon footprint" was invented by oil companies to distract us from the real polluters (them!) my pledge is to ignore it. Any change each of us make is a drop in the ocean compared to the damage oil companies are doing.

This year I'm going to continue supporting those organisations campaigning for action to fix the climate crisis. I'm also going to call out green washing wherever I see it.

Userlevel 7
Badge

This year I'm going to continue supporting those organisations campaigning for action to fix the climate crisis. I'm also going to call out green washing wherever I see it.

I like this pledge, @M.isterW - I’m on board with that! Supporting organisations that campaign for big polluters to change is a fantastic way to have an impact. Don’t forget that signing petitions and using your vote helps governments to feel the pressure to act.

Likewise not letting companies get away with greenwashing, making sure their actions match their words. Love it!

I personally disagree with this though:

Any change each of us make is a drop in the ocean compared to the damage oil companies are doing.

With around 68 million people in the UK alone, I feel that behaviour change can have a real impact, not only directly, but also as a market pressure for companies to respond to. 

I pledge to avoid beef in my supermarket basket for 2022. I love some of the meat-free substitutes available in most stores now. It’s vegetarian or vegan, healthier and less carbon intensive. It’s also very easy to make it delicious! The easiest pledge I can make but one that will have an impact on my food shopping's carbon intensity.   

@Transparent @Blastoise186 are our Plan Zero Heroes starting 2022 with any new green intentions for the year ahead?  

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Unfortunately not I’m afraid. I’m not really the kind of person to do New Years Resolutions myself.