Britain set to ban the sale of all diesel and petrol cars

• 26 July 2017
  • 8 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +2
Earlier this year, the French decided to ban the sale of all diesel and petrol vehicles (cars and vans) and it looks like Britain are set to follow.

The plan it to have this ban come into effect from 2040, but do you think this is a good idea? What are your thoughts on this? Check out the topic we’ve already got on Electric Vehicles too; https://forum.ovoenergy.com/all-about-energy-24/electric-vehicles-or-ev-s-we-d-love-to-know-what-you-think-444.

8 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge
I'm so pro this, although I really hope the cost of EV's comes down a bit so us normal folk can afford one!
Userlevel 5
Badge +2
@BrizzleLass Maybe the more popular EV's become, the cheaper they'll get!
Userlevel 3
Badge
It will be an uphill struggle to get existing motor dealers to embrace electrification of vehicles
Guy Harwood of Harwoods Motors expressed his view to Car Dealer Magazine.

Harwood then moved on to the topic of the future of motoring, sharing his opinions on the big issues facing dealers at the moment, starting with the demonisation of diesel.
‘For one reason or another, the government thinks it’s clever to vilify diesel,’ he said. ‘Diesel is the best engine
– it’s powerful, economical and doesn’t emit anything like the amount of toxic emissions that it’s accused of emitting.
‘The government isn’t doing the industry any favours and they’re not doing JLR any favours because JLR recently set up a big new factory to build diesel engines. There are a lot of people employed in the industry and the government should learn their facts.
‘A lot of customers are coming in and saying “What should we do?” Without a doubt, they should continue to buy diesel engines if they cover big mileages. It’s sheer ignorance and it’s appalling, but it’s typical government – they’re a very poor selection of people.’

While he feels that plug-in hybrids are a good option for motorists who cover small mileages, Harwood believes that the movement towards alternatively-fuelled vehicles is too forced.
‘The move towards hybrids and EVs is not natural,’ he said. ‘It’s expensive at the moment, it’s not desperately practical and it’s not what the manufacturers are set up to do.

Plainly he is singing from the same hymn sheet as Jaguar Land Rover and the SMMT
Userlevel 5
Badge +2
Afternoon everyone!

Now, my problem with EV's is when dirty or nuclear power is used to generate the electricity for them, it reduces the problem but far from cures it.

Imagine if it could be done with renewable energy!

Frankly nuclear is ludicrously expensive and no electricity customer of any supplier will avoid ever rising costs of it.

I LOVE OVO's brilliant new adverts on TV explaining how they are commited to green electricity!

As for gas powered power stations, with our own supply now dwindling we cannot rely on other countries to supply us, for varying reasons.

EV's - brilliant! But why not make them perfect!
Userlevel 3
Badge
Afternoon everyone!

Now, my problem with EV's is when dirty or nuclear power is used to generate the electricity for them, it reduces the problem but far from cures it.

Imagine if it could be done with renewable energy!

Frankly nuclear is ludicrously expensive and no electricity customer of any supplier will avoid ever rising costs of it.

I LOVE OVO's brilliant new adverts on TV explaining how they are commited to green electricity!

As for gas powered power stations, with our own supply now dwindling we cannot rely on other countries to supply us, for varying reasons.

EV's - brilliant! But why not make them perfect!

At this present moment Wind and other renewables is supplying twice the amount of energy than Nuclear.
Userlevel 5
Badge +2
Heres hoping that figure grows Peetee! 😃
Userlevel 3
Badge
Heres hoping that figure grows Peetee! :D

Don’t worry, the Sun will be up somewhere in the morning. 😀
Userlevel 4
Badge
According to @tonyseba an academic in the USA, if governments authorise autonomous battery electric vehicles (ABEV) full use on roads by 20121, all new vehicles will be ABEVs by 2030.

He has graphs of how the cost of batteries and BEVs is coming down to prove his theory. In fact, the costs are falling faster than his graphs show. This means that HMGov Plc banning the manufacture of fossil burners after 2030 is actually a waste of their words and any paper they print them on.