Blog

You gotta give her more juice Scotty - my new EV: the 45kw MG ZS

• 19 February 2021
  • 3 replies
You gotta give her more juice Scotty - my new EV: the 45kw MG ZS
Userlevel 7
Badge +2

It’s happened EV owners! I have finally upgraded from a 24kw Nissan Leaf to a 45kw MG ZS EV! It feels so good to have a bigger battery and more space to fit family stuff in. 

What can I say?! It’s certainly not a Leaf I know. It’s Chinese car (what isn’t made in China these days?) but China is the leading country in electric vehicles. It’s a lovely car to drive, we haven’t given it a big test such as driving to see family up north. That will be the first thing I do once lockdown is over. Most I have gotten out of it in the cold at the moment is 154 miles before needing to recharge and that was at a butt clenching moment. But still didn’t hit turtle mode. The WLTP for this car is 163 miles so I think in the summer we can beat that. Went for the exclusive model (mrs couldn’t live without heated seats) but the other gadgets are lovely too! One thing which bothered me a lot when I first got the car was no app because there is no sim in the car (I guess MG couldn’t meet the GDPR requirements) but in a way it’s something I will not miss, it’s something I think is a good thing. It means my car isn’t connected online. Sure, I can’t set my car to heat in the winter but the car warms up extremely fast. It has android auto and Apple CarPlay which is nice as this is the first time I have used the features. 

I did look at a e-Niro but this was just a bit bigger and e-Niro are still hard to get hold of, especially in this climate.

To all the EV owners here! What are your thoughts? Any questions please ask! 

I realised when I got to my parents home. I didn’t have a picture of the car so the above is a fresh one from this week!

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Nice one @NinjaGeek !

So… The $50 million question… What charger does it use? CHAdeMO? CCS? Type 2? Something custom?

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Hey dude! It has a CCS charging port 😁

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

That’s good news then. It looks as if CCS is the most “Europe-Friendly” option these days in terms of compatibility. Sure, you can often get adaptors that can bridge and convert between different types, but I’m pretty sure it’s almost always nicer to be able to do it natively. I don’t drive or have access to a car myself, but I do like to follow the tech behind this stuff.

When it comes to losing the always-on connectivity stuff, yeah I can agree with you there in that method has plus and minus points. But I guess one upside is that it’s pretty much impossible for your car to be hacked via a non-existent smart feature.

Mind you, there’s probably another “feature” you’ll like about your new MG that’s absent on the Leaf. The ability to permanently disable the potentially annoying eco-lectures that some versions of the Leaf have.