Will I be able to renew from my EV Everywhere plan to OVO Drive?

Will I be able to renew from my EV Everywhere plan to OVO Drive?
Userlevel 6

We’ve recently made a change to our EV offering. Introducing OVO Drive - a new plan exclusively for EV drivers. 

All EV Everywhere members will be offered the chance to renew on to this plan when their current plan ends. You’ll be able to see the great rates available when you log in to your online account to renew.

EV drivers, we’d love to hear what you make of it - how does it compare to other EV plans you’ve seen?

40 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Woah, that unit rate is crazy cheap! I wish I could get that rate. XD

Userlevel 6

EV drivers, we’d love to hear what you make of it - how does it compare to other EV plans you’ve seen?

Just tagging some of our EV regulars here as we’d love to get your take - @Jequinlan, @MrPuds, @sylm_2000, @ArundaleP, @jp1, @Andras, @D10hul, @Mikeyoung, @tesla_model_3, @NinjaGeek, @Peetee, @PeterR1947 

:blue_car::red_car:

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Hmmm. Cheaper Unit Reate, but, no polar plus.. number crunching time here I come….

Userlevel 4
Badge

Just tagging some of our EV regulars here as we’d love to get your take - @Jequinlan@MrPuds@sylm_2000@ArundaleP@jp1@Andras@D10hul@Mikeyoung@tesla_model_3@NinjaGeek@Peetee@PeterR1947 

:blue_car::red_car:

Good to see a competitive offering but unfortunately not cheaper than my current octopus go rates!

Userlevel 5
Badge +1

thanks @Jess_OVO - perfect timing as my fixed plan was coming to end this month.

I called and requested a switch to the new tariff:

Two things different from the headline claim of 13.5p/kwh. I have been offered higher unit rate (14.3p/kwh + VAT) and also the standing charging is almost 6-8p more per day. 

So in short, yes savings from current tariff but as @tesla_model_3  stated it is just about competitive and still higher than the tariff I switched to OvO from.

Happy to switch and it is step in the right direction. Thank you for the heads-up!

Thanks for staying with us for another 12 months of carbon-cutting energy! Your new fixed-rate plan will officially kick off on xx.

There’s nothing you need to do, just enjoy it.

Here’s everything about your new electricity plan

Electricity

Drive

12 month plan

Plan length:
12 months
End date:

Unit rate:
15.02p / kWh
Standing charge:
29.51p /day
Exit fee:
£30

All prices include 5% VAT.

Userlevel 3
Badge

OVO Drive: our cheapest plan for electric vehicles drivers 1

• From 13.5p/kWh for day and night charging 2 – fixed for the next 12 months
  • 100% renewable electricity 3 to power your home and car
  • One tree planted in your name every year4                                    
    I don’t understand this tariff.
    I am not able to charge at home because I don’t have off street parking. No mention of the BP Polar subscription which I presently have included in my plan.
Userlevel 7
Badge +2
Hmm. Less than convinced it’s a good deal… and doesn’t seem to be cheaper for gas either. also, how is that rate not same as advertised...

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

So I guess now we need to find the 1 postcode that the good rate applies!!!

Userlevel 6
Badge +1

As @tesla_model_3 said, dearer than Octopus Go which gives 4hrs per night at 5p and the day rate is 13.45 with a standing charge of 25p.

With Green Energy UK, my V2G trial supplier, it’s 16.26p daytime but seven hours at night on 7.9p with a 29.7p standing charge

Userlevel 5
Badge +2

Well after actually doing an online quote it works out more expensive to switch to Ovo Drive so I won’t be switching at this time.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

It’s probably worth noting that part of the reason the rates are higher would be due to the price increases that happen each year across all suppliers around March to April. I suspect OVO Drive has already factored these in, but existing fixed rate EV Everywhere contracts won’t have that due to them being locked at the rate which was active at the time (most likely before the price increases). That doesn’t always account for the full difference, but most likely accounts for some of it.

Userlevel 5
Badge +1

It’s probably worth noting that part of the reason the rates are higher would be due to the price increases that happen each year across all suppliers around March to April. I suspect OVO Drive has already factored these in, but existing fixed rate EV Everywhere contracts won’t have that due to them being locked at the rate which was active at the time (most likely before the price increases). That doesn’t always account for the full difference, but most likely accounts for some of it.

Given OvO drive is launched this week the price increase should have been included in the headline tariff. The only reason could be regional variation on price however a steep standing rate is rather an outlier amongst all energy suppliers. On reflection, it is not the best tariff for EV drivers but still within the median range.

Userlevel 3
Badge

If BP Pulse subscription is to be ended then  I will seek out a lower cost supplier at the end of my present contract and pay the subscription myself. 
BP Pulse even at the new rates from 10th June is attractive to me because I am not able to charge at home. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Sorry @Peetee I just noticed your question didn’t get answered.

I’ve just had a look at the details and I’m afraid BP Pulse is not included with OVO Drive. You can still continue to use the free subscription until your current contract ends, but after that you’ll start to be charged by BP to keep it going. If you don’t want that, please make sure to cancel BP Pulse before the free sub runs out.

Userlevel 3
Badge

Sorry @Peetee I just noticed your question didn’t get answered.

I’ve just had a look at the details and I’m afraid BP Pulse is not included with OVO Drive. You can still continue to use the free subscription until your current contract ends, but after that you’ll start to be charged by BP to keep it going. If you don’t want that, please make sure to cancel BP Pulse before the free sub runs out.

Thank you for that. 
It is as I suspected and I will as I have written above look for a competitive provider at the end of the my present contract. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

I do have some good news though. While it’s not clear on the quote page, there is something else that may be worth knowing.

The OVO Drive Anytime trial is part of the package that OVO Drive will be offering. I’m not sure if you have to have specific chargers for it, but the rate that is charged for plugging in your EV would be massively lower than the main rate. It might be worth finding out more about that before making any solid decisions.

Userlevel 4
Badge

I do have some good news though. While it’s not clear on the quote page, there is something else that may be worth knowing.

The OVO Drive Anytime trial is part of the package that OVO Drive will be offering. I’m not sure if you have to have specific chargers for it, but the rate that is charged for plugging in your EV would be massively lower than the main rate. It might be worth finding out more about that before making any solid decisions.

You need the specific kaluza smart+ charger I have

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

If there’s one thing I’ve learned from experience, it’s that feedback counts heavily.

If enough members bring up concerns about the removal of free BP Pulse, that may prompt a response from OVO as to why it’s going away and what might happen going forwards.

Don’t lose hope, the community here gets listened to very actively.

Userlevel 3
Badge

If there’s one thing I’ve learned from experience, it’s that feedback counts heavily.

If enough members bring up concerns about the removal of free BP Pulse, that may prompt a response from OVO as to why it’s going away and what might happen going forwards.

Don’t lose hope, the community here gets listened to very actively.

According to Connected Kerb:

Currently, a lack of charging solutions for UK residents without driveways or the ability to install a home charger, some 60% of the population, is a major barrier to electric vehicle adoption.

OVO need to consider that is an awful lot of potential EV owners (the clock is ticking for the demise of the ICE) that they appear to be disregarding, myself being one, and BP Pulse and Shell are energetically repurposing existing Service Stations to provide fast charging facilities to satisfy the anticipated shift away from ICE vehicles. 

Userlevel 4
Badge

Hi @Jess_OVO , thanks for the heads up.  Can I switch to this new plan and still get my V2G export credits?  That might just do it for me.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Heya @jp1 !

I’m not seeing anything in the T&C for either the V2G Trial or OVO Drive that prevents this, so you might be able to do that. There is the obvious rule on OVO V2G that if you leave OVO completely, you lose the ability to continue the trial, but nothing in there about changing the tariff.

The only possible snags would be the info on stage one of OVO Drive Anytime when it was first mentioned over here.

However, strictly speaking the EV Everywhere requirement will be changing anyway due to OVO Drive replacing it. I don’t yet know whether you’d be able to combine V2G and OVO Drive Anytime though. All I know is that it wasn’t possible for the first wave of that trial. But you might get lucky yet. That was just a tiny trial after all. :)

To be fair, the initial trial terms did also state that V2G members were currently not eligible at the time, but that might change. We’ll have to wait for more info though before I can be more confident in my answers.

Userlevel 4
Badge

@Jess_OVO I have another question, for those of us that are on the EV Everywhere plan; when this auto switches over, do we need to potentially cancel our BP Polar/Pulse (whatever it’s called today) account before the grubby oil peddlers start charging us a monthly fee? 

Userlevel 6
Badge

@Jess_OVO 

Great news for the masses!

As I am on the OVO V2G trial this won't apply to me and it probably won't be an option. I can't see any proposed rates or options to switch in my online account either ( my contract ends September ) 

But yes great to see options becoming available.

***Buyer beware !!!***  As you will have no doubt have heard and read, the Gov have confirmed that VAT charged at 20% is now to be applied to EV public charging, many questions I constantly get asked the main one being “ were are the government going to get all the revenue when we drive EV’s ?” well this is it ! direct metering and billing charged at the smart EV charge point from 20% vat to ev duty it can all be applied here. yes there are ways around it and as early pioneers you'll benefit from cheap rates, but don't be fooled its coming !!!

Userlevel 6
Badge

Ok and while in am on … we dont have gas, so why can't we apply ? @Jess_OVO 

OVO Drive is dual fuel (electricity and gas) only. We’ve got a plan to suit everyone though. Discover yours now.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

At the moment, the best info I’ve got is based on what’s been published so far.

From what I’ve read, it does look as if the OVO Drive tariff itself might be available for V2G members, but the OVO Drive Anytime feature might not be available if you’ve also got V2G. I’m not sure what happens if you have both the V2G Charger and the Kaluza Smart Charger though. I can definitely ask Tim and Jess to see if they can find out whether this is an option.

I’ve also looked up the info about BP Pulse for you @jp1 and you would need to cancel that manually before the free sub runs out to avoid being charged unless you decide that you want to keep it and pay for the subscription. If you cancel BP Pulse before you switch the tariff, you won’t be charged for it - but if you continue to use their charge points after that you will have to pay the Instant rates unless you upgrade again and it’s apparently pretty expensive to do it on a PAYG basis.