Solved

Why is the smart charger Boost function not working for my Nissan Leaf 30kWh Tecna? 3.5kW maximum charging..

• 25 October 2020
  • 8 replies

My first post.  Be gentle!

Just had a charger fitted by OVO for our Nissan Leaf 30kWh Tecna.  Everything looking lovely until I tried to boost the rate.  It doesn’t budge from 3.5kW.  I asked the OVO help function and got a reply from a nice geezer called Tom, who asked me to check the car’s schedule setting and see if there’s any limit for the charging power.  I don’t think that there is, as it happily takes nearly 40kW from the Ecotricity chargers on the motorway.

I’ve tried to get onto the Nissan app, which has decided not to let me log in.

icon

Best answer by NinjaGeek 27 October 2020, 10:48

Hi @BryanMurphy and Good morning!

Ok so Nissan Leafs have two versions of on board chargers. Not sure why but I guess it keeps the cost down too. So by the sounds of it, the Nissan leaf you purchased only has a 3.3kw on board charging meaning when charging with the type 1 charger, you can only charge up to 3.3kw. You can find out if you have 6kw by going through your dash menu until you are here

If you have just 3kw then this will be the reason why.

When charging using the ecotricity rapid chargers, yes these charge up to 50kw using the chademo charging port.

If you are a new Nissan Leaf owner, Hello! If you have questions please do not hesitate to ask here. We are a lovely bunch on here. I have been a Leaf owner for a while now so hopefully I will be able to assist.

Hope this helped.

View original

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hi @BryanMurphy and Good morning!

Ok so Nissan Leafs have two versions of on board chargers. Not sure why but I guess it keeps the cost down too. So by the sounds of it, the Nissan leaf you purchased only has a 3.3kw on board charging meaning when charging with the type 1 charger, you can only charge up to 3.3kw. You can find out if you have 6kw by going through your dash menu until you are here

If you have just 3kw then this will be the reason why.

When charging using the ecotricity rapid chargers, yes these charge up to 50kw using the chademo charging port.

If you are a new Nissan Leaf owner, Hello! If you have questions please do not hesitate to ask here. We are a lovely bunch on here. I have been a Leaf owner for a while now so hopefully I will be able to assist.

Hope this helped.

Thank you very much for your reply.  It does look as though my Type 1 won’t let me charge quickly.  Fat lot of good that installation was then!  I can use the Kaluza app to get it to schedule charging and turn on automatically when we have excess energy from our solar panels, so it isn’t that bad.

Mind you, when I took the photo, it was charging using the Type 2 to Type 1 cable we got with the car.

I’ll get back to OVO and see what they say.

Thanks again!!

Userlevel 7

Hi @BryanMurphy and welcome to your EV forum! 

The likes of @NinjaGeek and other Leaf owners (@Jequinlan might be well placed to verify advice above) are best placed to advise on this one. It sounds like NinjaGeek has hit the nail on the head on this one though…..

Thanks Tim.  I guess you are right, but I’m a bit miffed by this.  The whole point of getting the home charger is so that we can do a fast charge if necessary.  The Ecotricity rapid ones are fine once we’re out there, pootling up to Manchester.

This wasn’t mentioned when I was applying for the thing in the first place.

Oh well, there’s much more to this EV malarkey than simply pouring fossil fuel into an ICE car.

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hi @BryanMurphy 

I have a 7kw charger at my home too. But think of it this way, you are future proofing yourself for future EV’s you own. My Leaf is only a 3.3kw I believe but it never bothered me as I schedule my charging at from midnight to 6:30am and the car is at 100% from near empty. 

Yeah.  You are right, but I would’ve liked to have seen all our PV output pouring into our EV!

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

That’s where battery storage comes in handy. Next investment 😎

Userlevel 6
Badge +1

@BryanMurphy I am late to the party but what has been said is right  this is one major reason i changed my car for a 6kw charging leaf  i needed the speed charge (and range!)