Solved

OVO Drive Anytime - What's it all about?

• 28 January 2021
  • 10 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge

I saw this in the Guardian. It looks like a tariff worth signing up for. Can existing members switch to this tariff and when will this go live?

icon

Best answer by Tim_OVO 29 January 2021, 10:32

Thanks for posting, @Andras - here’s all the latest info on our new OVO Drive Anywhere tariff:

What is the OVO Drive Anytime trial?

The OVO Smart Home team is running the Drive Anytime trial, which is offering 20-30 existing OVO members (EV Drivers that have a Kaluza controlled OVO Smart Charger) a reduced rate for their EV charging consumption. 

“OVO Drive Anytime is the UK’s only plan that splits the cost of charging your car from the rest of your electricity bill.”

We started recruiting on 18 January 2021, expect the trial to start on the 1 February and run until June 2021 - although we can end the trial at any time with two weeks notice. We hope to develop OVO Drive Anytime later this year and open it to all members.

In order to be eligible members must:

• be on the latest OVO built billing platform
  • be an existing OVO Energy member on our EV Everywhere single rate energy plan
  • use an OVO Smart Charger to charge your car
  • have a smart meter that's opted in for half-hourly readings
  • not be a member of the existing V2G Trial (sorry @Andras)

What extra information is provided to the trial members?

The product page and full list of FAQ’s.

The product page also links with the trial terms and conditions.

Frequently Asked Questions

When will the trial start and when will I be told if I’m selected?

If you signed up on this page, we will let you know in early February if you have been selected for the trial.  If selected, we will let you know, and you will be enrolled straight away.

How does it work?

All electricity you consume will initially be charged at the normal rate you pay under your existing OVO plan and this is the rate that will be reflected in your live balance and on your bill. On the first day of every month, you will  receive a credit based on how much of your total electricity usage went into charging your electric vehicle. The credit provided will mean that each month your total bill will be equal to what you would have paid if your EV charging consumption had been charged at a rate of 6p/kWh. 

Example:

A customer uses 800 kWh in January, of which 300 kWh went to charging their EV, and 500 kWh went into their home. Their EV Anytime rates are 6p/kWh for EV charging and 13p/kWh for household electricity use.

On 1st of February, the customer’s bill will show the following:
Electricity used: £104 (800 kWh at 13p/kWh)
EV Anytime credit: £-21

The £104 electricity used charges the customer for all of their electricity (800kWh) at the higher, household rate. The EV Anytime credit then works out that 300kWh should be charged at the cheaper rate (6p). The discount is calculated as follows:

Credit (£) = (Household rate - EV rate) x Energy used by EV
= (0.13 - 0.06) x 300
= £21

Will my Direct Debit be affected? 

If you are a Direct Debit customer, your Direct Debit will not be affected by the charging credits applied to your account during the Trial.

What will the credit look like on my bill? 

The Charging Credit will appear under the heading ‘Drive Anytime Charging Credit’ on your monthly OVO bill.

When will the credit be applied?

It will be applied on the first day of every month.  

:red_car:

View original

10 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge

Yes the article explains the new tariff and mentions this: 

Instead Ovo’s “type of use” tariff will be less than half the typical rate from rival suppliers – without limiting the times when customers can charge – by automatically charging vehicles when prices are low. When prices are high, energy could be drawn back into the grid from the batteries of electric vehicles sitting idle.

So we may benefit this one day 🤞

Userlevel 4
Badge

This new Drive Anytime tariff sounds like it might be the evolved form of the V2G Trial, but I don’t have any details on it myself beyond what you guys can read in the media.

Certainly the details seem similar...

Yes, it uses the same Kaluza platform, it uses the same billing mechanism on the OVO side, and it has a very similar tariff structure. But the charger is different. 

And I heard that the V2G charger is not suitable for Drive Anytime because it does not have a calibrated measurement of charging power. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

You might think that!

I think the Smart Chargers are smaller because they don’t have the added V2G features of the V2G Charger, but are probably fairly similar otherwise. So while I would imagine that both models probably would be compatible with and capable of being used for something like Drive Anytime, only the V2G Charger can do V2G magic.

It would be interesting to see an all-in-one though!

Userlevel 5
Badge

Thanks @Blastoise186 , it would be nice if the trialists V2G chargers would be compatible with this tariff in the future. I am wondering if these new smart chargers are capable for V2G, they look a lot smaller.

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Hi @Andras ,

I just had a look at that actually. According to the main website, OVO’s Drive Anytime Trial isn’t open to V2G Trialists right now (you’d also need the Smart Charger for this one, rather than the V2G Charger), but it’s possible that you might be able to get it in the future.

Userlevel 5
Badge

Thank you @Tim_OVO for your answer. You did not mention V2G, is it part of the package?

Userlevel 7

Thanks for posting, @Andras - here’s all the latest info on our new OVO Drive Anywhere tariff:

What is the OVO Drive Anytime trial?

The OVO Smart Home team is running the Drive Anytime trial, which is offering 20-30 existing OVO members (EV Drivers that have a Kaluza controlled OVO Smart Charger) a reduced rate for their EV charging consumption. 

“OVO Drive Anytime is the UK’s only plan that splits the cost of charging your car from the rest of your electricity bill.”

We started recruiting on 18 January 2021, expect the trial to start on the 1 February and run until June 2021 - although we can end the trial at any time with two weeks notice. We hope to develop OVO Drive Anytime later this year and open it to all members.

In order to be eligible members must:

• be on the latest OVO built billing platform
  • be an existing OVO Energy member on our EV Everywhere single rate energy plan
  • use an OVO Smart Charger to charge your car
  • have a smart meter that's opted in for half-hourly readings
  • not be a member of the existing V2G Trial (sorry @Andras)

What extra information is provided to the trial members?

The product page and full list of FAQ’s.

The product page also links with the trial terms and conditions.

Frequently Asked Questions

When will the trial start and when will I be told if I’m selected?

If you signed up on this page, we will let you know in early February if you have been selected for the trial.  If selected, we will let you know, and you will be enrolled straight away.

How does it work?

All electricity you consume will initially be charged at the normal rate you pay under your existing OVO plan and this is the rate that will be reflected in your live balance and on your bill. On the first day of every month, you will  receive a credit based on how much of your total electricity usage went into charging your electric vehicle. The credit provided will mean that each month your total bill will be equal to what you would have paid if your EV charging consumption had been charged at a rate of 6p/kWh. 

Example:

A customer uses 800 kWh in January, of which 300 kWh went to charging their EV, and 500 kWh went into their home. Their EV Anytime rates are 6p/kWh for EV charging and 13p/kWh for household electricity use.

On 1st of February, the customer’s bill will show the following:
Electricity used: £104 (800 kWh at 13p/kWh)
EV Anytime credit: £-21

The £104 electricity used charges the customer for all of their electricity (800kWh) at the higher, household rate. The EV Anytime credit then works out that 300kWh should be charged at the cheaper rate (6p). The discount is calculated as follows:

Credit (£) = (Household rate - EV rate) x Energy used by EV
= (0.13 - 0.06) x 300
= £21

Will my Direct Debit be affected? 

If you are a Direct Debit customer, your Direct Debit will not be affected by the charging credits applied to your account during the Trial.

What will the credit look like on my bill? 

The Charging Credit will appear under the heading ‘Drive Anytime Charging Credit’ on your monthly OVO bill.

When will the credit be applied?

It will be applied on the first day of every month.  

:red_car:

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

This new Drive Anytime tariff sounds like it might be the evolved form of the V2G Trial, but I don’t have any details on it myself beyond what you guys can read in the media.

Certainly the details seem similar...

Userlevel 5
Badge

Hi @MrPuds , I do have their smart charger. I am still on a trial which will end in October, but I did sign up for the Ev everywhere tariff  (2 year contract).

Userlevel 4
Badge

It does sound really competitive, but it seems that you need a special charger from Kaluza. I can imagine that this is going to be quite an obstacle for people, especially if they already have a charger.