Solved

How long is the Vehicle to Grid (V2G) trial running for? Do you know if the new Nissan Airya will have a bi-directional CCS charge port? Kaluza AMA

• 31 July 2020
  • 9 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge

This is billed as a two-year trial.  Given that some people have had their V2G for over a year and many are yet to be installed, what marks the start of the two years?  Do we all get two years individually or is there some future cutoff for everyone?

1. If the latter, when is that?
  2. What happens afterwards?  We know we can “buy” the charger for £1 but will the app still work?  Will V2G as a concept, die?  etc etc…

We hear CCS will go bi-directional at some point.  Are there any plans to test that?

The new Nissan Airya will have a CCS charge port but our sources claim the connector will be bi-directional.  (Nissan, after all, virtually invented the V2X concept).  Do you have any inside information about that?

Many thanks,

Stephen and Sheila of the Electric Automobile Association.  (ElectrAA)   

*edited by mod*

icon

Best answer by Tim_OVO 23 November 2020, 15:26

Hi @Stephen Bell @Jequinlan @MrPuds - I have the latest:

We’ve confirmed that the 2 year trial period for the V2G charger started when your V2G unit was installed. Once you get to the end of your two years, you will be given the chance to buy the charger for £0.01, or we can remove it for you. The charger will continue to work in the same way after your two years if you take ownership of it: we plan to continue supporting the app until at least Jan 2023.

We hope that the majority of members will stay with OVO and our V2G propositions beyond the end of their 2 year trial, so that we can continue providing support to the grid together. 

There have also been some questions about V2G as a concept and how OVO plans to develop this in the future. There are some open questions about future V2G technology, particularly around support for CCS V2G. We’re following this as it evolves to inform our future V2G offering.

View original

9 replies

Userlevel 7

Here’s our penultimate question, and therefore our penultimate answer, from our Kaluza/EV experts, Josh and Fionn:

Hi @Stephen Bell 

Great question. In terms of the trial length, Fionn is researching the answer with some of our internal teams to ensure we give you as full and accurate response as we can. He will come back to you as soon as he has an answer.

On the topic of the bi-directionally of the CCS charge port, unfortunately we have no information on this other than what has been released to the market by Nissan.

Thanks,

Josh

Userlevel 6
Badge +1

@Tim_OVO  any news?

Userlevel 7

Hi @Stephen Bell @Jequinlan,

We’ll have something to share with you on this next week. Let’s put this topic on pause, I’ll be back just like Arnold. :muscle:

Userlevel 3
Badge

Looking forward to knowing the answer to this.

Cheers,

Stephen.

Userlevel 2

That is an interesting question. I learned a bit about the background of V2G - basically it was developed by Nissan as V2H for the Japanese market struggling from the effects of the tsunami in 2011. That was “easy”, because the Leaf was new, and Nissan was still in charge of the Chademo standard. V2G was not the reason for the development. 

I don’t think the same applies for the Ariya. It will have Chademo in Japan, but CCS2 in Europe. So if Nissan again focuses on the domestic market, V2G may only work via Chademo, and not in European models. 

Thomas

Userlevel 7

Hi @Stephen Bell @Jequinlan @MrPuds - I have the latest:

We’ve confirmed that the 2 year trial period for the V2G charger started when your V2G unit was installed. Once you get to the end of your two years, you will be given the chance to buy the charger for £0.01, or we can remove it for you. The charger will continue to work in the same way after your two years if you take ownership of it: we plan to continue supporting the app until at least Jan 2023.

We hope that the majority of members will stay with OVO and our V2G propositions beyond the end of their 2 year trial, so that we can continue providing support to the grid together. 

There have also been some questions about V2G as a concept and how OVO plans to develop this in the future. There are some open questions about future V2G technology, particularly around support for CCS V2G. We’re following this as it evolves to inform our future V2G offering.

Userlevel 2

Hello Tim

It is great to hear that the V2G charger will still be supported, and I appreciate that the details are still uncertain (although the first customers must be only months away from it?). 

For me, moving to a real time tariff is essential, and it will determine my choice of supplier and tariff. At the moment, OVO does not have a real time tariff, and I think that is quite a gap given the otherwise progressive approach from OVO. There is a competitor that offers real time tariff and export renumeration, although I need to look at the numbers to see whether they are competitive with the current offer. 

Actually, it would be really nice to a have a tool that could simulate this. We have enough data now, so what is the best tariff for my purpose? While I have the tools to run my own estimates, I guess most users would needs some support with that decision. 

MrPuds

Userlevel 7

Actually, it would be really nice to a have a tool that could simulate this. We have enough data now, so what is the best tariff for my purpose? While I have the tools to run my own estimates, I guess most users would needs some support with that decision. 

You’re joining the growing ranks of members keen for TOU tariffs, @MrPuds - see this discussion thread:

Userlevel 6
Badge +1

Hello Tim

It is great to hear that the V2G charger will still be supported, and I appreciate that the details are still uncertain (although the first customers must be only months away from it?). 

For me, moving to a real time tariff is essential, and it will determine my choice of supplier and tariff. At the moment, OVO does not have a real time tariff, and I think that is quite a gap given the otherwise progressive approach from OVO. There is a competitor that offers real time tariff and export renumeration, although I need to look at the numbers to see whether they are competitive with the current offer. 

MrPuds

@MrPuds I am actually working on a tool to compare TOU data combined with export from API ! :)