Solved

Can Kaluza offer an open source solution for sending app notifications when there is a problem with the EV charger or if the car is at home but not charging? Kaluza AMA

• 30 July 2020
  • 8 replies

Userlevel 1

Can kalluza offer an open source solution for sending notifications when there is a problem with the unit or if the car is at home but not charging please?

icon

Best answer by Tim_OVO 27 October 2020, 16:15

Here’s another one from Josh, our Kaluza app product manager:

Hi @duncanmelling, thanks for posting! Why does the notification service need to be open source?

Push notifications are on our roadmap. We're currently debating how to best approach them given our large pool of iPhone users. Once we have push notifications in place, letting users know when there's a problem would be very straight forward.

Thanks,

Josh

View original

8 replies

Userlevel 7

Here’s another one from Josh, our Kaluza app product manager:

Hi @duncanmelling, thanks for posting! Why does the notification service need to be open source?

Push notifications are on our roadmap. We're currently debating how to best approach them given our large pool of iPhone users. Once we have push notifications in place, letting users know when there's a problem would be very straight forward.

Thanks,

Josh

Userlevel 7

I’d be happy to pass on your reply to Josh, @duncanmelling :blush:

Userlevel 5
Badge

I asked the same thing early on the trial, so I agree this is an essential feature and hopefully iphone and android (me) users can also benefit from it. I don`t mind if you first roll it out for android users at least we can test it. :wink:

Userlevel 7

@Andras do you feel it needs to be open sources as well?

Or are push notifications and status/issue updates the main need here?

Userlevel 5
Badge

This is a bit technical for me @Tim_OVO . Does open source mean that users would be able to make changes to the software? If it might make the service better then why not?

Userlevel 6
Badge

Hi there @Andras ,

I’m only a volunteer on the forum myself, but I can try to answer this one for you. Just so you know, this answer is based on my own personal knowledge rather than anything official from OVO, but I hope it helps. :sunglasses:

Open Source software (or Free Open Source Software to give it the fancy name) is where the source code for something is made available to anyone and everyone, while also allowing people to make their own copies of the source code, make changes to it and even contribute those changes back to the original creator if they’d like to.

There can be advantages to it, such as allowing the entire world to help you out and can also help to prove that you’re not hiding some kind of sneaky cryptocurrency miner in the code. Even if you did that, someone else could just fork the repository, edit their copy to strip out the dodgy code and then rebuild their copy into a “clean” version from there.

Userlevel 5
Badge

Thank you @Blastoise186 , I can see the advantage of it now. I think this is something that the system could benefit from.

Userlevel 6
Badge

You’re welcome.

I’m not part of the V2G trial myself as I don’t drive or have access to any cars, but I do love the concept of V2G and it is pretty cool. I can’t answer every question as I don’t know all the answers, but I’ll try to help out if I’m able to.