Solved

Can I get an electric vehicle (EV) tariff and solar panels with my electric only house?

• 15 December 2020
  • 1 reply

I am looking to move house.  Most houses in the areas i’m looking at are all electric (no gas). When I do move I will be looking at having an EV tariff but also solar panels.  Is this possible & on what tariff?

icon

Best answer by Blastoise186 16 December 2020, 00:11

Welcome @trainersbuk !

This is definitely a very good question to ask, and I hope your upcoming house move goes smoothly.

When it comes to the tariffs that OVO offers, there are indeed Electric-Only options for all the current tariffs, as well as Dual-Fuel options. The only ones you can’t get with OVO are Gas-Only and Pay-As-You-Go.

If you’re going to be charging your car at home a lot, I’d probably recommend the EV Everywhere tariff, since this is the one that’s designed for the use case. You could also choose one of the others instead if you prefer though. If appropriate, you can also go onto Economy 7 to get cheaper night rates, but please use caution because if you get the numbers wrong, Economy 7 can end up costing far more than you expect.

All of the tariffs OVO offers are compatible with you having solar panels and are all compatible with the Smart Export Guarantee/Feed In Tariff. The way the tariff would work in this case, is that you’d still have your usual supply and tariff as normal, but the appropriate add-ons are placed on your account to factor in the solar panels as well. Most likely, the Smart Export Guarantee is the one that’s relevant, since the older Feed In Tariff scheme has been closed to new applicants.

I hope this helps, but please feel free to ask any further questions. We’ll do our best to answer them for you!

View original

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Welcome @trainersbuk !

This is definitely a very good question to ask, and I hope your upcoming house move goes smoothly.

When it comes to the tariffs that OVO offers, there are indeed Electric-Only options for all the current tariffs, as well as Dual-Fuel options. The only ones you can’t get with OVO are Gas-Only and Pay-As-You-Go.

If you’re going to be charging your car at home a lot, I’d probably recommend the EV Everywhere tariff, since this is the one that’s designed for the use case. You could also choose one of the others instead if you prefer though. If appropriate, you can also go onto Economy 7 to get cheaper night rates, but please use caution because if you get the numbers wrong, Economy 7 can end up costing far more than you expect.

All of the tariffs OVO offers are compatible with you having solar panels and are all compatible with the Smart Export Guarantee/Feed In Tariff. The way the tariff would work in this case, is that you’d still have your usual supply and tariff as normal, but the appropriate add-ons are placed on your account to factor in the solar panels as well. Most likely, the Smart Export Guarantee is the one that’s relevant, since the older Feed In Tariff scheme has been closed to new applicants.

I hope this helps, but please feel free to ask any further questions. We’ll do our best to answer them for you!