Solved

What's your experience of usage graph for electric car charging?

• 9 October 2019
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 1
Last autumn we bought an all electric car. In January this year I changed the usage options on my OVO to include electric car charging. I have had a Pod Point charging port installed. In Scotland, charging at most public charging stations are (currently) still free so we rarely use the home charging. Last time I charged the car at home was in March about 20m worth. The usage graph regularly shows my electric car usage at over 10% of my total usage. There must be some issue with OVO algorithm. Has anyone else got an electric car and home charging station, what's your experience with usage graph?
icon

Best answer by aaronr 14 October 2019, 11:35

The usage projection in the OVO website is mostly based on guesswork, based on your usage throughout the day -- it sees a certain amount of power being pulled at different times of the day and tries to guess what you might be doing around the house.

I wouldn't try to rely on this as accurate information. If you want more accurate usage information, your best bet is to find out if your charger manufacturer has an app as this will provide very accurate usage info. PodPoint and ChargedEV chargers provide an app that will do this, and I'm sure other manufacturers do too.

Failing that, you can buy a Power Monitor on Amazon (make sure you use one that reads from a CT clamp, not a plug socket), and you can put the clamp around the cable going to your charger to make your own custom power meter for your charger -- no wiring required.
View original

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Hey @harrihoudini thanks for sharing your question on the forum. I don't have an EV myself, but we have a few EV owners here so going to call on them to help you out!

Over to you, @NoPoke, @Brummiejon, @piersjk, @Leo Moran, @aaronr, @Jukebox, @UC Bear, @Absolute Zero!
Userlevel 5
@harrihoudini ,
There is a default setting on the OVO App which details exactly what size your house is, how many bedrooms, how many appliances etc. If you alter the default settings to suit your house you may get a more accurate reading. I know mine was showing more usage on the TVs/ Computers than it was before I changed to the EV settings...that said it's still not 100% accurate but as I spend some time in the garage it may include that as well. Time I rechecked the settings...thanks for reminding me.

Leo
Userlevel 1
Thanks Leo. I had already changed the settings and have now re-checked. There was nothing that needed changed.
Userlevel 3
Badge
The usage projection in the OVO website is mostly based on guesswork, based on your usage throughout the day -- it sees a certain amount of power being pulled at different times of the day and tries to guess what you might be doing around the house.

I wouldn't try to rely on this as accurate information. If you want more accurate usage information, your best bet is to find out if your charger manufacturer has an app as this will provide very accurate usage info. PodPoint and ChargedEV chargers provide an app that will do this, and I'm sure other manufacturers do too.

Failing that, you can buy a Power Monitor on Amazon (make sure you use one that reads from a CT clamp, not a plug socket), and you can put the clamp around the cable going to your charger to make your own custom power meter for your charger -- no wiring required.
Userlevel 1
Thank you Aaron.