Solved

V2G charger noise - how loud is too loud?

• 12 October 2019
  • 10 replies

• Carbon Cutter****
  • 8 replies
Hoping to get my charger installed next month when my power supply is un-looped and I’ve read on another post the charger has fans running when in use. I was planning to get mine on the front of my house, but this is where the bedrooms are and my neighbours have their windows open all the time. How much of a problem is this please? Can anyone give me an idea of the noise level and how far away it can be heard? Cheers.
icon

Best answer by aaronr 14 October 2019, 11:27

Hi @Brie ,

At full tilt the fans can be about as loud as a cooker hood fan on a medium setting, but even in summer this hasn't occurred for me under normal use.

The only time I've ever seen it this loud is if the charger ever needs to be turned off at the fuse -- when it reboots it seems to do a fan test at 100% for 5 seconds or so.

When the charger is idle, the fans are off, and generally only kick in when it's charging your car at full speed -- I've not noticed the fans running while the car is exporting (although it might). When the fans do run, as others have said they're about as loud as an average computer fan or a quiet fan oven. From inside the house I can't hear it, and I have only noticed it when I've been stood next to the charger while outside of the house.

Hope this helps!
View original

10 replies

Userlevel 7
Hey @Brie thanks for sharing your question here, perhaps @Leo Moran, @piersjk @IanJBelper or @aaronr will be able to give you their own opinion on this, given they have a unit already?
Userlevel 5
Hello @Brie ,

As my charger is in the garage which is at the other end of the house and detached I never hear anything from it. However it has to be said it does make a noise. Sometimes it's nothing but other times when it's hot and you are rapid boosting the fan does kick in to cool it down. I would say that it's not as noisy as some rapid chargers in the public car parks....but not far behind but that could just be in the garage. I seldom hear anything outside the garage. I know @aaronr has his on the front of his house so he may be the best to give advice.

Leo
Userlevel 2
Hi @Brie

We have our unit installed on the front of our house near our front door, and there is no noise to be concerned about. Occasionally the fans whirl but it's not much more than the sound of a fan in your PC. Could get worse as the unit gets old, but ours is only 2 months old. Probably more noticeable if you install it in a garage.

Regards,
Piers.
Hi @Brie ,

There is a noise from the fans but we haven't had an issue with our neighbour and not even thought about it until you raised the question. The unit is on a side wall of the house, pointing at the neighbours house 5m away, and we sit the other side of the wall and never hear anything, even if the windows open.

Regards,
Ian
Userlevel 3
Badge
Hi @Brie ,

At full tilt the fans can be about as loud as a cooker hood fan on a medium setting, but even in summer this hasn't occurred for me under normal use.

The only time I've ever seen it this loud is if the charger ever needs to be turned off at the fuse -- when it reboots it seems to do a fan test at 100% for 5 seconds or so.

When the charger is idle, the fans are off, and generally only kick in when it's charging your car at full speed -- I've not noticed the fans running while the car is exporting (although it might). When the fans do run, as others have said they're about as loud as an average computer fan or a quiet fan oven. From inside the house I can't hear it, and I have only noticed it when I've been stood next to the charger while outside of the house.

Hope this helps!
Userlevel 7
Badge +2
Ah... that's an interesting opening sentence to your post @aaronr. It suggests that the charger fans are quieter when not at "full tilt", meaning that their speed is variable according to the internal temperatures. Is that correct?

So if the charger were deliberately positioned on a north wall, or a similar spot that never sees sunlight, would the fans run slower?
Userlevel 3
Badge
@Transparent yeah that’s right, seems like they’re paired with a temperature sensor to limit fan speed to the minimum required power for a given situation with the default condition being “fan completely off”. My guess is that it’s a PWM setup similar to what you’d find with a computer’s CPU fan. For what it’s worth, my charger is on a South East facing wall.
Userlevel 7
Badge +2
Thanks for confirming that @aaronr - so the position in which @Brie decides to have the charger installed, would also affect the (low) level of fan noise it creates. That's something which could be added to the pre-installation advice provided to customers.

I've applied similar thinking to a position I've got ear-marked for a future static storage-battery. It's in an unheated lobby area on the NE corner of my house. My freezer is also there for obvious reasons!

Brilliant responses, thanks everyone. My neighbours driveway is already being dug up to unloop the power and I didn’t want to push my luck installing a noisy charger near their bedroom window! Sounds like they’ll still be speaking to me so all good 😁

Userlevel 5

@Brie, @aaronr raises a point I’d forgotten about. I was aware the fan doesn’t run all the time but didn’t realise it was a variable one.

If you look at my previous posts you’ll notice in the Summer I had a problem with the garage, which is well insulated, was getting very warm and I need to ventilate it to dissipate the heat. Clearly if the unit is outside it will be cooled by the night air, something which mine isn’t. Therefore an external unit will be less noisy than an internal one so @aaronr is the better authority to listen to…

Leo