How will OVO calculate my V2G payment retrospectively?

• 17 January 2020
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 3

I signed up for the Ovo V2G plan and a new charger and smart meter were fitted on 30th October.

I needed to switch to Ovo and as a new customer it took weeks for me to see my online dashboard (initially it just has an “onboarding” message).

When it finally showed my meter readings page, it was obvious that it was showing my old economy 7 meter and not my new smart meter - and it definitely was showing the wrong serial number.

I got in touch via Twitter Direct Messages with Ovo throughout November and December asking for information about how long it would take to get the new meter registered and start showing me my V2G compensation figures as well as accurate energy use figures. From the start, the so called help desk people answering Twitter Direct Messages kept telling me “it can take 6 weeks to get the new meter registered” but when finally 6 weeks was up and I pointed out that it was still not showing, they said they would get it looked into with the statutory 10 working day period for replies.

10 working days go by - still nothing. More discussions with “Nancy”, “Alice” and “Eva” via Twitter Direct Messages. They now informed me that the V2G installers had never logged the new meter. I asked for something to be done urgently - they said they “could not prioritise” my request for this to be sorted out because they cannot give one customer any priority over others! Not a glimmer of apology for the issues experienced.

Another 10 working days and here we are on 17th Jan 2020 and it is completely at a standstill.

Long telephone conversation with Ovo Help Desk. Another photo of the meter sent - this time via email. Another complaint raised. 

So my questions are - what hope have I that Ovo will ever do something about this? How will they calculate my V2G compensation figures going back to the day of charger and meter installation? Do they have a “start reading” for the meter if it was never logged properly on the day it was installed? Will my V2G energy exported back to the grid for the last 2 ½ months have been measured and will I get payment for this energy?

The V2G trial seems like such a good idea, but unless Ovo can actually operate in a sensible manner it is difficult to recommend them either for V2G or electricity supply in general.

As you can probably tell, I am rather fed up with this and desparate to get it sorted. This forum post is a bit of letting off steam - and also just trying another avenue to try and influence Ovo to get moving on this problem.

3 replies

Userlevel 6

This wasn’t good to read, @TeaTimeSoon.

I would’ve been one of the agents replying to your Twitter messages, sorry if you feel we didn’t offer the best service.

I’ll ask one of the experts to get back to you on your V2G queries!

Userlevel 3

This wasn’t good to read, @TeaTimeSoon.

I would’ve been one of the agents replying to your Twitter messages, sorry if you feel we didn’t offer the best service.

I’ll ask one of the experts to get back to you on your V2G queries!

Yes you were indeed one of the Direct Message support people with whom I had contact and who failed to either investigate or get anything done.

It does finally seem that my meter has been submitted to the national database and I hope it will finally be registered on your system and my statements will start to reflect what energy I am both using and exporting.

One of my points made to Ovo support is that unless Ovo do use the Twitter Direct Message communication channel seriously and have people who act on such enquiries in a proper manner then this channel should be shut down or perhaps users should be informed that it is only an informal means to communicate and anything serious should use telephone (or email).

You can ask one of the experts if you like - it was Adam who has been progressing things via email - so you may find everything is underway (I Hope!)..

Hello @TeaTimeSoon, 

I work within the support team for the V2G and hope I can answer a few of your questions. 

In regards to your export readings, these would have been recorded in our smart meter database so please be rest assured that you will be paid for anything you have exported since the installation. 

I can't go into account specific on a public forum but if you send us an email to support@kaluza.com. I can reply with how much you have made so far with a breakdown.