COVID-19 Pollution Cut Is Not A World Without Cars: It’s Without Oil

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

There can be no arguments against this, the results are quite clear. If we want to breath clean air we need to stop burning stuff.

Article can be found clicking HERE

What are your thoughts?

10 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Mods I just realised I submitted as a question not conversation 😭

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

That’s minus 10 points, @ITGeek123 !

Well I live here…

So my experience suggests that we should radically change the way in which cities work, because that’s where all the NO² lurks.

I would favour us emerging from the pandemic to make a concerted effort towards city-based public transport being electrically powered. But the problem is then that current public transport tends to consist of vehicles (incl railway carriages) that carry 50 passengers.

So what about something more adventurous…?

Once we’re outside the EU, why not move rapidly towards the use of autonomous electric vehicles? After all, we can then more easily make our own rules.

If autonomous EV’s could be hailed on demand (like Uber), how may households would bother owning their own car?

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

As far as I'm aware @Transparent Arriva currently have a few electric busses round my area. I have a few friends who live in they Midlands who mention they have seen fully electric busses roaming around. Not sure if it's just a trial to see how they cope but it's all happening now and it's exciting 😍

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

I think that’s a different concept @ITGeek123 

a: those will be electric buses with drivers.

b: they are much larger and heavier than I envisage for our future transport needs.

We need vehicles that can carry between 4-10 passengers with connection to-the-door.

Using their obstacle detection systems, they could drop speed to 10mph when entering city-centre pedestrian zones. In turn that means we can eradicate the need for pavement kerbs… making our inner cities wheelchair friendly.

In rural areas, small autonomous electric vehicles provide a way to keep villages alive. They could provide a much more frequent service than a bus ever can.

If such vehicles could automatically self-park onto a V2G charger, then we simultaneously create a massive distributed battery network.

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

I think we are a long way off from that. Tesla seem to be the only manufacturer who has pretty much nailed autonomous driving

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Not true. The Canadian company, Blackberry, has a suite of autonomous guidance technology available. That’s why Arrival has chosen their systems in order to make their commercial EVs “autonomous ready” from the outset.

… and that’s why FedEx have ordered so many.

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

But are the systems in place and live now on the road? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

The Blackberry QNX technology has been checked on Canadian test tracks. It’s national legislation which prevents them being “used on the road”.

6-person Autonomous Pods were introduced in Bristol at the beginning of this year. They are based on the British Westfield design which has been trialed in the area around Greenwich for the last couple of years.

Userlevel 6
Badge

Warwick University WMG (Warwick Manufacturing Group) are developing a trial battery powered tram system for Coventry which will run between the city centre and the main hospital; if I remember correctly it is due to go to trial in 2024.  The trams automatically recharge their batteries when they reach the terminus and I think they will be autonomous.

See: https://warwick.ac.uk/newsandevents/pressreleases/first_look_at

and https://warwick.ac.uk/services/communications/medialibrary/images/march2019/tdi123_coventry_vlr_exterior_4a_2019-03-12.jpg

And more information by searching on the Warwick Uni sute

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

That’s great news @PeterR1947 . I think this is the way to go.

I would like to see Government support for Autononous EV technologies post-Brexit. We will no longer be subject to EU competition rules. If such autonomous Pods could achieve a “call on demand” service for transport up to 5 miles, then I think there will be many fewer people wanting to retain their own ICE car.

The present pandemic lockdown has given us a taste of what it’s like living in the UK with less pollution and noise. So I would expect an increasing public enthusiasm for such strategies.

I wonder if BEIS has an active “Future Planning Strategy” team in place?

It might be time to write to MPs.