Solved

Will Vehicle to Grid (V2G) trialists be able to choose OVO Drive and Anytime?

Hi, my EV Everywhere contract expires next month, my V2G trial ends next month.  Unfortunately my V2G will have been out of action for four months after a really good trial but hopefully replaced next month.  I have solar which seems to be the game-changer with V2G plan.  

I’m looking at tariff options.  EV Drive seems the best of the bunch but I’ll have to bring my gas over and pay more for it.  I’ve been told Drive Anytime is likely to launch properly in summer and I’d need to be on Drive to be eligible.  Apparently acceptance of V2G customers onto Anytime is still under consideration.  It would be great if trialists could have an insight into whether this was heading before signing up for the future period. Anyone in the same boat? 

icon

Best answer by Jess_OVO 13 August 2021, 17:32

View original

20 replies

Userlevel 7

Welcome to our community, @Maverick.

Great question to ask about the compatibility of your V2G charger and the incoming OVO Drive Anytime plan. I’ve taken this one to the experts so will be sure to let you know once there’s an update. Interested to hear how this might affect our other V2G trialists who’s plans might be nearing the end - @Jequinlan, @MrPuds , @sylm_2000 , @ArundaleP, @PurpleV8 ?

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

I still have 9 months left on my plan, however, with lack of specific benefits like bp pulse membership,  i eill, sadly, be forced to look at whole of market options. My usage pattern just doesn't seem to align with this plan.

Userlevel 5
Badge +2

@Maverick dont forget they have agreed to extend the export payments beyond the trial so don’t jump too quick!

Userlevel 5
Badge +2

As far as I know V2G trial terms only allow a single rate tariff.

Userlevel 6
Badge +1

Correct - you can only have fixed time tariff. 

I have switched last month to Drive Plan as launch coincided with my previous tariff expiry. @Maverick  I have very similar set-up with solar and did had my V2G replaced after fault albeit took six months.

Userlevel 7

Sorry for the delay in getting to you on this one, @Maverick .

Hi, my EV Everywhere contract expires next month, 

I’m looking at tariff options.  EV Drive seems the best of the bunch but I’ll have to bring my gas over and pay more for it.  

Just wanted to clarify this one, as you’re currently on the EV Everywhere plan, we’ve made an exception to the terms of the OVO Drive plan. You’ll be able to renew on to this plan even as an electric only member. Check out some more FAQs on the new tariff here.

Apparently acceptance of V2G customers onto Anytime is still under consideration.  

We’re still waiting for an update on this one, will pop back as soon as we’ve got more details! :thumbsup:

Hi, thanks for the update. Re the potential announcements of new plans, I understand we could only get onto to Drive Anytime if we were on Drive? I’m interested in whether I’d still be charged the exit fee if I signed up for Drive and then you announced better options over the coming weeks? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Heya @Maverick !

I just wanted to let you know I’ve seen your comment but it’s taking me a bit longer to figure out the answer than usual. Bear with me and I’ll let you know once I’ve dug a bit deeper.

Thanks!

Userlevel 7

Hi @Maverick,

Sorry for the delay - have checked in with the team on this one and they’ve confirmed -

OVO Drive Anytime is actually an add on to the OVO Drive tariff. So you must be on OVO Drive and then you can add Anytime, in a similar way to adding Beyond. There is no exit fee for adding Anytime or canceling it but to be eligible you must also have a smart meter and an indra charger.

We’re still waiting to hear about the compatibility of the Anytime add-on and your V2G charger so will make sure to update here once we’ve confirmed. :ok_hand:

Userlevel 7

Sorry for the delay but I’m back again with the official update on the compatibility of V2G with OVO Drive and OVO Drive + Anytime.

First off, the OVO Drive plan and V2G trialists: customers on this V2G trial are eligible for the OVO Drive plan, as long as they meeting the other eligibility criteria outlined here

Here is a statement from the team on V2G and OVO Drive + Anytime compatibility: 

“We really value the loyalty of our V2G trialists, and are acutely aware that you’re some of our most pioneering customers. You’ve enabled us to explore new, emerging tech – which we’re incredibly grateful for – and we appreciate that you’re keen to try new propositions. 

So, it’s only right that we investigated developing a version of Anytime that’s compatible with V2G. However, we couldn’t find a way to make this viable without severely compromising your user experience. 

When V2G was conceived, it was built with the export credits proposition in mind, which is delivered via your smart meter. Unfortunately though, this isn’t compatible with our Anytime offer – which is designed to use data from the charger instead. We totally understand your frustration at not being able to take advantage of this new product, but we firmly believe that our V2G proposition is still the best deal for those of you using it to support the grid. 

If you’ve got any further questions, please feel free to drop us a line at smarthome@ovoenergy.com, and thanks again for being V2G pioneers!”

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Right @Jess_OVO , so as I see it we are able to continue with our export tarrif for the foreseeable? 

Is that right?

Still need a good single rate ev minded tarrif then? (Preferred with bp pulse , was polar) as my upcoming 1 year on blog from devon holiday will share! ( @Tim_OVO / @Jess_OVO watch out for a pm sunday on this! , i hope it is of interest being the "a lot has happened in 12 months type read as an ev user holidaying")

Thanks, John.

Userlevel 7

That’s right, @Jequinlan - V2G export payments are set to continue beyond the end of the trial.

Some valuable feedback on the features you’re missing from our current EV tariff offering, I’ve made sure to forward this on to the team as I know there are some changes planned for the future of the OVO Drive plan.

Great to hear there’s going to be a sequel to your great ‘Holidaying with an EV’ blog - will be really interested to hear how things have changed in the EV world since your last trip. Are you heading back to Devon?

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

@Jess_OVO just returned! So once i catchup on the over 7000 emails i missed out on, and sort the washing i will start writing!

Userlevel 6
Badge +1

That’s right, @Jequinlan - V2G export payments are set to continue beyond the end of the trial.

Some valuable feedback on the features you’re missing from our current EV tariff offering, I’ve made sure to forward this on to the team as I know there are some changes planned for the future of the OVO Drive plan.

Great to hear there’s going to be a sequel to your great ‘Holidaying with an EV’ blog - will be really interested to hear how things have changed in the EV world since your last trip. Are you heading back to Devon?

@Jess_OVO - are you suggesting that V2G exports will continue after trial subject to OvO being the electricity supplier, correct? I think that’s an important update for the trialists who have been waiting for a confirmation.

Userlevel 7

Not sure if you’ve seen the latest update on what’s happening next for the V2G trialists, @sylm_2000 - in a nutshell we’ve confirmed export payments are continuing until at least January 2023, so long as you remain on a single rate plan with OVO.

Check out the discussion surrounding this decision here:

:red_car:

Userlevel 5
Badge +2

Not sure if you’ve seen the latest update on what’s happening next for the V2G trialists, @sylm_2000 - in a nutshell we’ve confirmed export payments are continuing until at least January 2023, so long as you remain on a single rate plan with OVO.

Check out the discussion surrounding this decision here:

:red_car:

Hi Jess

Sorry to be a pain but please can you clarify regarding V2G trialists and Ovo drive with anytime add on.

If you have V2G and an Indra Smart charger (as I do, 2 EV’s in household) is it possible to sign up to drive with anytime for the smart charger and not the V2G?

To be clear I am not expecting reduced rate for V2G charging as I already receive export credits, but would like to take advantage of the reduced rate for charging 2nd EV with the Indra Smart charger.

Thanks,

Paul

Userlevel 7

Well that’s a new angle, hadn’t factored in you multi-charger households there, @ArundaleP!

I’m not 100% sure on how this would work in terms of eligibility for the OVO Drive Anytime add-on so I’ve checked in with the team on this one - be right back! :grinning:

Userlevel 7

So back with an update from the team, @ArundaleP.

They’ve advised:

Members receiving the V2G export credits are not eligible to get Anytime, even if they also have a Smart Pro charger. This is outlined in the FAQs on the Anytime page. However, those that have a V2G and want to choose to stop exporting would then be eligible for the Anytime add-on, so long as they have a compatible Indra smart charger. 

Looks like it’s a case of crunching the numbers to decide what would be the better option, keeping your V2G export credits or taking advantage of the OVO Drive Anytime cheaper charging rates. I’m guessing this will all depend on how often you’re able to keep your car plugged in and how often you need to charge up.

Let us know what you decide to go for - I’m sure they’ll be a few others in the same position who’d be interested to hear on how you reached your decision. :slight_smile:

Userlevel 5
Badge +2

So back with an update from the team, @ArundaleP.

They’ve advised:

Members receiving the V2G export credits are not eligible to get Anytime, even if they also have a Smart Pro charger. This is outlined in the FAQs on the Anytime page. However, those that have a V2G and want to choose to stop exporting would then be eligible for the Anytime add-on, so long as they have a compatible Indra smart charger. 

Looks like it’s a case of crunching the numbers to decide what would be the better option, keeping your V2G export credits or taking advantage of the OVO Drive Anytime cheaper charging rates. I’m guessing this will all depend on how often you’re able to keep your car plugged in and how often you need to charge up.

Let us know what you decide to go for - I’m sure they’ll be a few others in the same position who’d be interested to hear on how you reached your decision. :slight_smile:

Hi Jess,

Thank you for getting a definitive answer.

I won’t deny that is a little disappointing as we have a genuine case of two electric vehicles but rules is rules, though I do feel somewhat abandoned as a V2G trialist.

There has been little or no progress with the development of the Kaluza platform in respect to V2G and Indra Smart chargers since installation. (You still need to accounts for two chargers, the V2G still seems to have no idea what the Smart charger is doing (resulting in V2G charging the 2nd car), V2G export still limited and no solar matching or G100 as originally promised).

I would have thought the V2G t&c’s cover abuse of exporting more than you charge and misuse so don’t really see a legitimate reason not to allow Anytime alongside V2G.

Thanks again,

Paul

Userlevel 7

Totally appreciate the disappointment, @ArundaleP.

This is really honest and fair feedback and I’ve already passed this on to the team behind the development of this tariff. It’s safe to say that this won’t be our last EV offering and by considering all the possible implications of our Ts and Cs we can look to make improvements based on such valuable commentary from our engaged EV members. 

Thanks for letting us know. :slight_smile: