Will I be able to renew from my EV Everywhere plan to OVO Drive?

Will I be able to renew from my EV Everywhere plan to OVO Drive?
Userlevel 7

Earlier in 2021, we made a change to our EV offering. Introducing OVO Drive - a new plan exclusively for EV drivers. 

All EV Everywhere members will be offered the chance to renew on to this plan when their current plan ends. You’ll be able to see the great rates available when you log in to your online account to renew.

If you’re on the OVO Drive plan, try Anytime, the add-on with a super-low charging rate any time you smart charge your car.

• Pay just 5p/kWh whenever you smart charge your EV
  • Need your car in a hurry? Boost charge it on your standard OVO Drive rate (your current OVO Drive rate can be found here)
  • Keep paying your current OVO Drive rate for your home energy use

To get the Anytime add on, you'll need to be on the OVO Drive plan, and have a compatible EV charger and smart meter. You’ll also need to be ok with your smart meter sharing half-hourly readings with us. More info here:

EV drivers, we’d love to hear what you make of it - how does it compare to other EV plans you’ve seen?

69 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Ok, so rather than dismissing the current plan, I have been thinking as a community we should (quickly) suggest what we DO want:

Personally, my likes / needs would be:

• An Electric Tariff (where you can sign up to a gas plan separately, like octopus) 
  • A benefit specifically for EV users, therefore, as EV users need (ongoing I have to stress) :
    1. Discounted access to a cheaper public charging network (BP Pulse, Instavolt/Chargemap, Genie seem to be the big 3)
      100% green Electricity (howsoever derived, include trees as offset if needed)
  • Access to an Android Auto (AA) app (Ovo customers only) that has LIVE charger access (like Zapmap) but actually works in car sat nav (i.e. AA compliant).
  • Pricing that helps charge their car - I suggest given people want to charge cars at all sorts of time the following:​​​​​​​
    a) Regular (circa.16p/kwh) for the first N units per day based on avg consumption of a typical household, taking into account other measures such as solar ponels.
    b) a reduced tariff (circa 4.5p/Kwh) for units used above that.
    OR
    Time of use Tariff dropping to cheap rates
  • One off help setting up charging at home (discount to new charger)

Userlevel 6
Badge +1

Some interesting suggestions there @Jequinlan  especially the ideal of pricing based on the first N units per day.

I think the specific EV benefit is also key to set it apart from generic tariffs. I first switched to OVO because of the Chargemaster membership. It set the tariff apart from anything else on offer. Ionity offer preferential rates to several car manufacturers. I would think that there’s no reason why this couldn’t be extended to electricity suppliers, if that’s not already being done. This on-the-road benefit could offset any concerns that the home electricity price was not the absolute cheapest on the market.

Userlevel 5
Badge

Just to add to the above, I’ve gone ahead and looked up how to cancel BP Pulse.

To be honest, the answer I got doesn’t really make much sense and gives me the impression that BP Pulse don’t seem to care much about customer service.

Now I am not a lawyer, but my understanding of contract is pretty simple: you cancel a service by telling the company that you want to cancel. They can stipulate a notice period as long as it is reasonable, but they cannot stipulate a certain way to cancel. Your notice ends the meeting of minds and thus the contract. Whether they process the cancellation or not is their problem. 

So, just tell them you want to cancel, and end the direct debit. 

As for the tariff - that looks really good. I wish it had been available a few months earlier. 

Userlevel 4
Badge

Hi @Jess_OVO , thanks for the heads up.  Can I switch to this new plan and still get my V2G export credits?  That might just do it for me.

Userlevel 7

Wow, great to see so much discussion sparked by our new OVO Drive plan. There have been some really interesting questions raised, and I’m hoping I’ll be able to answer them here (apologies in advance for the mega-post!) - 

Less than convinced it’s a good deal… and doesn’t seem to be cheaper for gas either. also, how is that rate not same as advertised…

Good to see a competitive offering but unfortunately not cheaper than my current octopus go rates!

@Jequinlan  and @tesla_model_3  make some great points about the price comparison between OVO Drive and their current fixed rates. As @Blastoise186  has already called out, wholesale energy prices do tend to increase over time. So if you’ve secured some cheaper unit rates on a plan that started several months ago, these are likely to be more competitive than those currently offered, even on the same plan. It may be fairer (and more relevant) to check back when your current fixed plans are nearing renewal to see where OVO Drive prices fall then.

Two things different from the headline claim of 13.5p/kwh. I have been offered higher unit rate (14.3p/kwh + VAT) and also the standing charging is almost 6-8p more per day. 

So I guess now we need to find the 1 postcode that the good rate applies!!!

Regional price variations do apply to this new plan (sure @Transparent  may be able to explain the reasons behind this). This means that the headline price is only offered in certain areas, @sylm_2000.

Currently, a lack of charging solutions for UK residents without driveways or the ability to install a home charger, some 60% of the population, is a major barrier to electric vehicle adoption.

Some really valid feedback on the impact of us ending our partnership with BP Pulse, @Peetee - we’ll certainly pass this one on to the team. As you say, this may make our latest offering less attractive for the many EV members unable to charge at home.

I have another question, for those of us that are on the EV Everywhere plan; when this auto switches over, do we need to potentially cancel our BP Polar/Pulse (whatever it’s called today) account before the grubby oil peddlers start charging us a monthly fee? 

Another important point, @jp1I can confirm that we’re unable to cancel your BP Pulse membership on your behalf. So you would have to contact them directly to avoid any unwanted charges for this service once your current EV Everywhere plan ends.

we dont have gas, so why can't we apply ? 

@D10hul  - If you’re currently on our EV Everywhere plan, you’ll still be able to renew on to the OVO Drive plan, even as an electric-only member. Otherwise, OVO Drive is only available to dual fuel customers at the moment. This is to make sure the lower unit rate in the tariff is sustainable commercially. We welcome the feedback on this though and will, again, make sure it’s passed on to the team.

Can I switch to this new plan and still get my V2G export credits?  That might just do it for me.

I’m happy to say that the new plan does indeed support those receiving V2G credits.

Hopefully that covers most points already discussed, but please keep them coming.  The in-depth, valuable feedback that this community gives really helps shape our future decision-making. So thanks for helping us make sure we get things right! :oncoming_automobile:

Userlevel 3

Thanks Blastoise186.

I spoke to the support team via webchat, but as you say they just told me I had to phone and wouldn’t give any details about it on the webchat.

I phoned and spoke to a really nice customer services agent, very friendly.    We went through what Ovo Drive would cost me which would be 1pperkWh cheaper for electric (but with a 6p a day higher standing charge) and the gas would be 1.62 pperkWh more expensive (which is a rise of 62% - shocking) and 5p more standing charge a day.

The only thing that would make it worthwhile is the 5p per hour charging for the car which would be great but it’s only available with Ovo Drive Anytime.     I asked if my V2G charger was compatible but the chap wasn’t sure (he thinks it would be as it is an Indra charger) - he tried to get through to the smarthome team but their extension was ringing invalid so couldn’t.

Does anyone on here know if I can go on Drive Anytime with the V2G charger?   Jess or anyone?

Thanks

Peter

Userlevel 3

I really appreciate the reply Blastoise186, thanks.

I had a feeling that it would be the case as it isn’t on the list of supported chargers but I wanted to know for sure so you’ve answered my question very quickly.

I don’t think it is worth it for me going onto just the Ovo Drive as the gas price is so much more expensive than I’m paying now.   

If you do hear that they have added the V2G as a valid option in the future, would you possibly update this thread? (I know it’s a bit cheeky).    It just means I’ll get an email so I can join Drive Anytime.

Thanks

Peter.

Userlevel 5
Badge +1

I’m totally peed off now. I’ve just been sent details of my new plans and it’s £30 more a month, jumping from £50 I’m currently paying to £80 a month. And I can’t take advantage of the new EV tariff as I’m on the zero carbon heating trial so now all-electric.

I’ve been a customer for ten years but I feel totally let down. My pension is £5,713.80 a year and I can’t afford another £30 a month. It appears I shall have to shop around. :worried:

Userlevel 7

EV drivers, we’d love to hear what you make of it - how does it compare to other EV plans you’ve seen?

Just tagging some of our EV regulars here as we’d love to get your take - @Jequinlan, @MrPuds, @sylm_2000, @ArundaleP, @jp1, @Andras, @D10hul, @Mikeyoung, @tesla_model_3, @NinjaGeek, @Peetee, @PeterR1947 

:blue_car::red_car:

I switched over more than a month ago but it took ages for them to actual change my tariff and sort my smart meters. It only moved over about a week ago.

To be honest after thinking about it I think I’m better off on EV Everywhere for now as I have lots of Chargemaster EV points near me and I’ve been charging on them for free. I can walk to my nearest in 10 mins. I think I read I’d lose that if I changed.

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Hmmm. Cheaper Unit Reate, but, no polar plus.. number crunching time here I come….

Userlevel 4
Badge

I do have some good news though. While it’s not clear on the quote page, there is something else that may be worth knowing.

The OVO Drive Anytime trial is part of the package that OVO Drive will be offering. I’m not sure if you have to have specific chargers for it, but the rate that is charged for plugging in your EV would be massively lower than the main rate. It might be worth finding out more about that before making any solid decisions.

You need the specific kaluza smart+ charger I have

Userlevel 4
Badge

@Jess_OVO I have another question, for those of us that are on the EV Everywhere plan; when this auto switches over, do we need to potentially cancel our BP Polar/Pulse (whatever it’s called today) account before the grubby oil peddlers start charging us a monthly fee? 

Userlevel 6
Badge +1

@Jess_OVO  The strangest thing to me with this tariff is that it’s a dual fuel only tariff. So electric vehicle drivers are doing there bit to #StopBurningStuff yet need to have a gas supply in order to get on this tariff!

Any explanation for this?!

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

No worries, I can solve that question as well.

Unfortunately, while the V2G Charger that was used on the OVO V2G Trial is indeed manufactured by Indra, it isn’t compatible with the Drive Anytime add-on at this time, but is compatible with vanilla OVO Drive without the Drive Anytime add-on. The only chargers that are currently compatible with the Drive Anytime add-on are the Kaluza/Indra Smart Pro and Kaluza/Indra Smart Charge Ver 3.0. It’s possible that more chargers might become compatible in the future, but those are the only two which are on the list right now.

I believe you can still get V2G Export Credits though on OVO Drive, so it’s not a total loss. But I hope you’re OK with being told in advance so that you can make an informed decision.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Howdy @toad !

We do have one or two threads on here about OVO Drive, but we’ve not had much chance yet to create much content for it. Hopefully that will evolve over time.

As for your question, EV Everywhere is being replaced by OVO Drive, but existing members can continue to use EV Everywhere as-is for the remainder of the current contract. Once you come up for renewal, you’ll be able to renew onto OVO Drive with a special ability to have it as an Electric-Only tariff (usually it’s Dual-Fuel only), switch to another OVO tariff or switch supplier. If you don’t do anything before the contract expires though, you’ll move to the variable rate Simpler Energy tariff automatically.

I hope this helps.

Userlevel 7

Great to see some interest in the new OVO Drive tariff, @toad.

Whilst we don’t have a lot of questions asked yet, I’ve moved your post over to this introduction topic as there’s some great discussions and FAQs here. 

As our community volunteer, @Blastoise186 has already mentioned, your EV Everywhere tariff won’t automatically switch to OVO Drive but you’ll have the option to renew to this new plan at the end of your current contract. Check out more details of this new plan here.

We’d love to hear what you think of it!:red_car:

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

I also definitely agree with basically every comment in this thread from everyone. Thanks for sharing them all so far! I’m not going to mention anyone as I don’t want to cause too many notification floods. But just like Tim and Jess, I have read through the entire thread and have been keeping a very close eye on the entire discussion. If there’s any questions I can answer as a forum volunteer, I will continue to do so. :)

While I agree that OVO probably didn’t quite get OVO Drive perfect so far, it’s not too late for things to be fixed up and potentially it could still get turned into an improved OVO Drive V2 that everyone who signed up for OVO Drive V1 gets upgraded to automatically at no cost.

John’s mention of preferential pricing is something that I think will be part of the OVO Drive Anytime feature that’s available via OVO Drive for anyone who has the Kaluza Smart Charger, which is something that I think we can agree definitely partially satisfies that Wishlist item and I think OVO does special deals for EV Chargers anyway. It would be great to see more support for that though!

But of interest to me as a tech geek is John’s suggestion of an Android Auto app that would make it easier to find charge points. I wouldn’t recommend messing with Apple CarPlay because that thing is terrible, but Android Auto is apparently amazingly good - especially when used with apps that make the most of what it can do. I suspect John, you’re talking about something that’s similar to the really cool Supercharger locator thing on the Tesla sat-navs? You know, the one that can literally plan your entire route factoring in charging stops and advising on how long you’d need to stop at each Supercharger for? I suspect you mean something like that?

I love that idea myself. The way Tesla does it is apparently brilliant. OVO probably wouldn’t be able to make it quite as fancy as that - the automatic preconditioning thing is probably beyond what AA can do - but yeah, there’s definitely an idea that could come out of that. Might be best done as a separate app from the main OVO Energy app though, to avoid feature bloat and to prevent the main one becoming too complicated.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Woah, that unit rate is crazy cheap! I wish I could get that rate. XD

Userlevel 7

Just wanted to pop back with an update from the team. In terms of eligibility for OVO Drive - unfortunately this is a dual fuel plan unless you’ve previously been on the EV Everywhere tariff - in which case we’d advise you to contact our Support Team if you’d like to renew onto this plan.

Appreciate this might not be the best option for you at the moment and will pass on your valuable feedback on to the team. :thumbsup:

Userlevel 6
Badge +1

thanks @Jess_OVO - perfect timing as my fixed plan was coming to end this month.

I called and requested a switch to the new tariff:

Two things different from the headline claim of 13.5p/kwh. I have been offered higher unit rate (14.3p/kwh + VAT) and also the standing charging is almost 6-8p more per day. 

So in short, yes savings from current tariff but as @tesla_model_3  stated it is just about competitive and still higher than the tariff I switched to OvO from.

Happy to switch and it is step in the right direction. Thank you for the heads-up!

Thanks for staying with us for another 12 months of carbon-cutting energy! Your new fixed-rate plan will officially kick off on xx.

There’s nothing you need to do, just enjoy it.

Here’s everything about your new electricity plan

Electricity

Drive

12 month plan

Plan length:
12 months
End date:

Unit rate:
15.02p / kWh
Standing charge:
29.51p /day
Exit fee:
£30

All prices include 5% VAT.

Userlevel 7
Badge +2
Hmm. Less than convinced it’s a good deal… and doesn’t seem to be cheaper for gas either. also, how is that rate not same as advertised...

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

So I guess now we need to find the 1 postcode that the good rate applies!!!

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

It’s probably worth noting that part of the reason the rates are higher would be due to the price increases that happen each year across all suppliers around March to April. I suspect OVO Drive has already factored these in, but existing fixed rate EV Everywhere contracts won’t have that due to them being locked at the rate which was active at the time (most likely before the price increases). That doesn’t always account for the full difference, but most likely accounts for some of it.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

If there’s one thing I’ve learned from experience, it’s that feedback counts heavily.

If enough members bring up concerns about the removal of free BP Pulse, that may prompt a response from OVO as to why it’s going away and what might happen going forwards.

Don’t lose hope, the community here gets listened to very actively.