Will I be able to renew from my EV Everywhere plan to OVO Drive?

Will I be able to renew from my EV Everywhere plan to OVO Drive?
Userlevel 7

Earlier in 2021, we made a change to our EV offering. Introducing OVO Drive - a new plan exclusively for EV drivers. 

All EV Everywhere members will be offered the chance to renew on to this plan when their current plan ends. You’ll be able to see the great rates available when you log in to your online account to renew.

If you’re on the OVO Drive plan, try Anytime, the add-on with a super-low charging rate any time you smart charge your car.

• Pay just 5p/kWh whenever you smart charge your EV
  • Need your car in a hurry? Boost charge it on your standard OVO Drive rate (your current OVO Drive rate can be found here)
  • Keep paying your current OVO Drive rate for your home energy use

To get the Anytime add on, you'll need to be on the OVO Drive plan, and have a compatible EV charger and smart meter. You’ll also need to be ok with your smart meter sharing half-hourly readings with us. More info here:

EV drivers, we’d love to hear what you make of it - how does it compare to other EV plans you’ve seen?

69 replies

Userlevel 7

Sorry to hear about the unexpected invoice from BP Pulse, @Heskie.

Just wanted to let you know I’ve passed this one on to the Smart Home team who should be in touch with you directly to get this sorted.

Hope it’s ironed out quickly and you’re able to charge up with ease! :blue_car::relaxed:

To be fair to both OVO and BP Pulse, although it took a while to sort out, EV Everywhere did get up and running and I've successfully charged on BP Pulse stations in various places (avoiding the duff ones by checking on Zap Map). So I've no idea why I've suddenly reveived an invoice for membership.

I hope you get your dispute resolved.

Userlevel 5
Badge

>  There was a complete mix up between BP Pulse and Ovo (perhaps because of the pending demise of EV Everywhere) and it took quite some time to sort out. To be fair, OVO did compensate me. Now, months later, I have received an invoice for membership from BP Pulse! So @Jess_OVO does this mean OVO no longer pay BP Pulse and it's now down to me?

There is nothing unusual about that, I had exactly the same experience last year. My recommendation is to cancel BP Pulse and ask for your money back. They are the worst network out there, and not worth giving money to. 
Disclaimer: I am currently in dispute with them, but I had this sentiment even before that. 

We got our EV earlier this year (Nissan Leaf e+Tekna, still more than pleased with it). Already an OVO customer I applied for EV Everywhere, including BP Pulse. There was a complete mix up between BP Pulse and Ovo (perhaps because of the pending demise of EV Everywhere) and it took quite some time to sort out. To be fair, OVO did compensate me. Now, months later, I have received an invoice for membership from BP Pulse! So @Jess_OVO does this mean OVO no longer pay BP Pulse and it's now down to me?

Userlevel 7

Some great knowledge sharing going on here with the ever helpful, @Blastoise186!

He’s managed to cover all your OVO Drive Anytime and V2G compatibility questions, @peterb999!

There’s not much more to add other than to assure you that if there are any changes to the OVO Drive Anytime add-on we’ll make sure we pop back here so you won’t miss out.

It might be possible to switch tariff mid-contract though. I think @Jess_OVO was recently asking one of the other teams for an update there...

I was indeed - thanks for the reminder!

The team have confirmed that usual exit fees do apply, even if switching from the EV Everywhere plan onto OVO Drive. So it’s worth factoring this in when comparing the savings to be made by switching before your renewal period (which starts 49 days before the end of your plan). :slight_smile:

Userlevel 3

I really appreciate the reply Blastoise186, thanks.

I had a feeling that it would be the case as it isn’t on the list of supported chargers but I wanted to know for sure so you’ve answered my question very quickly.

I don’t think it is worth it for me going onto just the Ovo Drive as the gas price is so much more expensive than I’m paying now.   

If you do hear that they have added the V2G as a valid option in the future, would you possibly update this thread? (I know it’s a bit cheeky).    It just means I’ll get an email so I can join Drive Anytime.

Thanks

Peter.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

No worries, I can solve that question as well.

Unfortunately, while the V2G Charger that was used on the OVO V2G Trial is indeed manufactured by Indra, it isn’t compatible with the Drive Anytime add-on at this time, but is compatible with vanilla OVO Drive without the Drive Anytime add-on. The only chargers that are currently compatible with the Drive Anytime add-on are the Kaluza/Indra Smart Pro and Kaluza/Indra Smart Charge Ver 3.0. It’s possible that more chargers might become compatible in the future, but those are the only two which are on the list right now.

I believe you can still get V2G Export Credits though on OVO Drive, so it’s not a total loss. But I hope you’re OK with being told in advance so that you can make an informed decision.

Userlevel 3

Thanks Blastoise186.

I spoke to the support team via webchat, but as you say they just told me I had to phone and wouldn’t give any details about it on the webchat.

I phoned and spoke to a really nice customer services agent, very friendly.    We went through what Ovo Drive would cost me which would be 1pperkWh cheaper for electric (but with a 6p a day higher standing charge) and the gas would be 1.62 pperkWh more expensive (which is a rise of 62% - shocking) and 5p more standing charge a day.

The only thing that would make it worthwhile is the 5p per hour charging for the car which would be great but it’s only available with Ovo Drive Anytime.     I asked if my V2G charger was compatible but the chap wasn’t sure (he thinks it would be as it is an Indra charger) - he tried to get through to the smarthome team but their extension was ringing invalid so couldn’t.

Does anyone on here know if I can go on Drive Anytime with the V2G charger?   Jess or anyone?

Thanks

Peter

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Ahh ok. Gotcha. I think the option to renew onto OVO Drive should show up on the list of tariffs once your renewal window opens, provided you meet the Dual-Fuel requirement (the grandfather rule doesn’t apply to Better Energy). I don’t think MyOVO currently supports switching tariffs mid-contract via the self-service options outside of the renewal window though, so you’ll probably need to have a chat with the Support Team to get help with this.

Changing the tariff is a significant change that requires verbal consent, so you’ll need to do this over the phone if self-service isn’t working.

Userlevel 3

Hi Blastoise186,

Thanks for the reply.     I’ve currently on the Better Energy Plan as the EV Everywhere wasn’t worth it for me (I don’t use public chargers).

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Which tariff are you on right now @peterb999 , and are you coming up for renewal soon? If you’re currently on EV Everywhere, the best way to move to OVO Drive is to wait for your renewal window to open 45 days before the contract ends and then use the renewal process to renew directly onto OVO Drive - which will also trigger the grandfather rule that allows existing EV Everywhere members to migrate to OVO Drive without the dual-fuel requirement.

It might be possible to switch tariff mid-contract though. I think @Jess_OVO was recently asking one of the other teams for an update there, so it might be worth seeing what they have to say first.

Userlevel 3

How do I sign up for the Ovo Drive?    I’ve got V2G which Jess says is compatible earlier on in this thread but when I login I can’t see how you change to the plan.

I tried going through the Ovo site while not logged in, but I get to a point where it says that they already supply me and to login - but when I login there is no mention of Ovo Drive.

Can someone help me move across to Ovo Drive?

Userlevel 6
Badge +1

To be honest after thinking about it I think I’m better off on EV Everywhere for now as I have lots of Chargemaster EV points near me and I’ve been charging on them for free. I can walk to my nearest in 10 mins. I think I read I’d lose that if I changed.

If you can make use of the BP membership then I think you're probably best staying on your current tariff.

Don't get me started on exit fees! I'm sure they put a lot of potential customers off and I for one would rarely consider tariffs that had them. If you were looking at switching supplier the exit fee is the equivalent of Sainsbury's charging you because you wanted to change to shop in Tesco's in the future. In your case, if you are charged because you wanted to stay with OVO but go to a more convenient tariff it would be the same as Sainsbury's charging you because you wanted to shop in a different branch!

I switched over more than a month ago but it took ages for them to actual change my tariff and sort my smart meters. It only moved over about a week ago.

To be honest after thinking about it I think I’m better off on EV Everywhere for now as I have lots of Chargemaster EV points near me and I’ve been charging on them for free. I can walk to my nearest in 10 mins. I think I read I’d lose that if I changed.

Userlevel 7

So This new OVO Drive , What about people like me who have just switched to EV Everwhere, will we have to wait 2 years to swap to this cheaper rate ??

Great question, @Andy Edson. And one it’s important to get right.

I’ve taken this one away to the OVO Drive team to double check whether the usual exit fees do apply were you to switch from your current EV Everywhere plan.

Just to confirm - when did you sign-up for this plan? It’s worth checking if you’re still in your 2 week cooling-off period, as this would also allow you to cancel your current plan with no exit fees applied. :thumbsup:

Userlevel 6
Badge +1

So This new OVO Drive , What about people like me who have just switched to EV Everwhere, will we have to wait 2 years to swap to this cheaper rate ??

I don't see why OVO wouldn't let you swap to a different tariff but I'm guessing that the standard price per unit could have crept up a bit since you picked your tariff.

Userlevel 7

So sorry to hear about the price increases you’re seeing on your latest renewal offer, @Gingernut49.

I’ve sent you a PM about your eligibility for the OVO Drive tariff so do get in touch if you’d like to discuss this possibility. :thumbsup:

Userlevel 5
Badge +1

I’m totally peed off now. I’ve just been sent details of my new plans and it’s £30 more a month, jumping from £50 I’m currently paying to £80 a month. And I can’t take advantage of the new EV tariff as I’m on the zero carbon heating trial so now all-electric.

I’ve been a customer for ten years but I feel totally let down. My pension is £5,713.80 a year and I can’t afford another £30 a month. It appears I shall have to shop around. :worried:

Userlevel 7

Great to see some interest in the new OVO Drive tariff, @toad.

Whilst we don’t have a lot of questions asked yet, I’ve moved your post over to this introduction topic as there’s some great discussions and FAQs here. 

As our community volunteer, @Blastoise186 has already mentioned, your EV Everywhere tariff won’t automatically switch to OVO Drive but you’ll have the option to renew to this new plan at the end of your current contract. Check out more details of this new plan here.

We’d love to hear what you think of it!:red_car:

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Howdy @toad !

We do have one or two threads on here about OVO Drive, but we’ve not had much chance yet to create much content for it. Hopefully that will evolve over time.

As for your question, EV Everywhere is being replaced by OVO Drive, but existing members can continue to use EV Everywhere as-is for the remainder of the current contract. Once you come up for renewal, you’ll be able to renew onto OVO Drive with a special ability to have it as an Electric-Only tariff (usually it’s Dual-Fuel only), switch to another OVO tariff or switch supplier. If you don’t do anything before the contract expires though, you’ll move to the variable rate Simpler Energy tariff automatically.

I hope this helps.

So whats happening with EV Everywhere ?

Will that be automatically cancelled as OVO are stopping that, and changed to OVO Drive.

Obvious question, surprised nothing on the forum about it.

Userlevel 5
Badge +1

So someone who is trying to be totally green and has moved to greener energy cannot benefit from cheaper energy. I only charge around once a week but if someone is charging each night I think they'll be looking elsewhere. 

There are many green energy companies out there and Ovo is now testing my loyalty. 

Userlevel 7

Just wanted to pop back with an update from the team. In terms of eligibility for OVO Drive - unfortunately this is a dual fuel plan unless you’ve previously been on the EV Everywhere tariff - in which case we’d advise you to contact our Support Team if you’d like to renew onto this plan.

Appreciate this might not be the best option for you at the moment and will pass on your valuable feedback on to the team. :thumbsup:

Userlevel 7

Well spotted, @Gingernut49 - sounds like you may be comparing the rates on your current Better Energy plan with those offered currently on OVO Drive.

As the energy prices have increased recently it’s likely that the Better Energy rates you were offered previously are more competitive than the rates on the same plan (or even our cheapest plan) offered today. I’m still waiting to hear back from the team about the compatibility of this plan with the ASHP trial so will be sure to update you once I know more. 

In terms of the current price on OVO Drive this does depend on your area, so if you are eligible it would be worth checking with the Support Team to find out the current OVO Drive rates in your area.