Will I be able to renew from my EV Everywhere plan to OVO Drive?

Will I be able to renew from my EV Everywhere plan to OVO Drive?

Show first post

69 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge

Thanks @Blastoise186, I think I’ve used their chargers probably less than 10 times since I’ve been on EV Everywhere so I’m sure that PAYG will be cheaper for me in the long run.  I guess I’ll just have to phone up to find out what my options are.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

No worries.

Yup, I can totally agree with you there. If you hardly used any BP Pulse chargers even on the free subscription, then it’s probably not worth keeping it. Do watch out though as some of their chargers are stupidly expensive to use - apparently some BP Pulse chargers will rack up a bill of up to 42p/kWh on the Instant rates which feels pretty greedy to me!

On the plus side, at least BP Pulse isn’t the only operator in the UK so I guess you can always vote with your feet and use another operator who isn’t quite as heavy on the money grabbing...

Userlevel 7

Wow, great to see so much discussion sparked by our new OVO Drive plan. There have been some really interesting questions raised, and I’m hoping I’ll be able to answer them here (apologies in advance for the mega-post!) - 

Less than convinced it’s a good deal… and doesn’t seem to be cheaper for gas either. also, how is that rate not same as advertised…

Good to see a competitive offering but unfortunately not cheaper than my current octopus go rates!

@Jequinlan  and @tesla_model_3  make some great points about the price comparison between OVO Drive and their current fixed rates. As @Blastoise186  has already called out, wholesale energy prices do tend to increase over time. So if you’ve secured some cheaper unit rates on a plan that started several months ago, these are likely to be more competitive than those currently offered, even on the same plan. It may be fairer (and more relevant) to check back when your current fixed plans are nearing renewal to see where OVO Drive prices fall then.

Two things different from the headline claim of 13.5p/kwh. I have been offered higher unit rate (14.3p/kwh + VAT) and also the standing charging is almost 6-8p more per day. 

So I guess now we need to find the 1 postcode that the good rate applies!!!

Regional price variations do apply to this new plan (sure @Transparent  may be able to explain the reasons behind this). This means that the headline price is only offered in certain areas, @sylm_2000.

Currently, a lack of charging solutions for UK residents without driveways or the ability to install a home charger, some 60% of the population, is a major barrier to electric vehicle adoption.

Some really valid feedback on the impact of us ending our partnership with BP Pulse, @Peetee - we’ll certainly pass this one on to the team. As you say, this may make our latest offering less attractive for the many EV members unable to charge at home.

I have another question, for those of us that are on the EV Everywhere plan; when this auto switches over, do we need to potentially cancel our BP Polar/Pulse (whatever it’s called today) account before the grubby oil peddlers start charging us a monthly fee? 

Another important point, @jp1I can confirm that we’re unable to cancel your BP Pulse membership on your behalf. So you would have to contact them directly to avoid any unwanted charges for this service once your current EV Everywhere plan ends.

we dont have gas, so why can't we apply ? 

@D10hul  - If you’re currently on our EV Everywhere plan, you’ll still be able to renew on to the OVO Drive plan, even as an electric-only member. Otherwise, OVO Drive is only available to dual fuel customers at the moment. This is to make sure the lower unit rate in the tariff is sustainable commercially. We welcome the feedback on this though and will, again, make sure it’s passed on to the team.

Can I switch to this new plan and still get my V2G export credits?  That might just do it for me.

I’m happy to say that the new plan does indeed support those receiving V2G credits.

Hopefully that covers most points already discussed, but please keep them coming.  The in-depth, valuable feedback that this community gives really helps shape our future decision-making. So thanks for helping us make sure we get things right! :oncoming_automobile:

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Just to add to the above, I’ve gone ahead and looked up how to cancel BP Pulse.

To be honest, the answer I got doesn’t really make much sense and gives me the impression that BP Pulse don’t seem to care much about customer service.

Apparently, if you want to cancel a BP Pulse subscription, the only way to do it is to basically nuke the Direct Debit Instruction with your bank and the subscription will terminate next time they try to take money out of your bank account. Apparently you might also be able to login to the website and terminate the subscription from there if you signed up prior to 3rd December 2020, but otherwise it’ll have to be the bye bye Direct Debit route. Which is not usually the method I like to recommend for fairly obvious reasons.

Apparently, they won’t cancel subscriptions over the phone or via email for “security reasons” which is a bit silly to me - LOADS of places will happily cancel subscriptions and accounts on the spot simply by contacting their support teams or customer service teams via email/phone/live chat or even by post. That’s what makes me think BP Pulse don’t care much about customer service or are too lazy to handle those queries. Oh well.

Anyway, if you do decide to cancel the subscription, please make sure to burn through any remaining credit first - apparently they’ll swallow all of it immediately and you can’t get a refund. So you’ll basically want to burn through as much of that as possible before cancelling!

If you decide that you’d like to have your account with BP Pulse completely wiped out after shutting off the subscription, feel free to ping an email to bpCMDataPrivacy@bp.com or send a letter to the address in the privacy notice. You can use your rights under GDPR to have the account terminated and wipe as much as possible off the system.

Userlevel 4
Badge

wholesale energy prices do tend to increase over time. So if you’ve secured some cheaper unit rates on a plan that started several months ago, these are likely to be more competitive than those currently offered, even on the same plan. It may be fairer (and more relevant) to check back when your current fixed plans are nearing renewal to see where OVO Drive prices fall then.

Appreciate that rates tend to go up but even the latest new customer rates for octopus go are cheaper than the OVO drive rates unfortunately

Userlevel 3
Badge

To be honest, the answer I got doesn’t really make much sense and gives me the impression that BP Pulse don’t seem to care much about customer service.

Apparently, if you want to cancel a BP Pulse subscription, the only way to do it is to basically nuke the Direct Debit Instruction with your bank and the subscription will terminate next time they try to take money out of your bank account. Apparently you might also be able to login to the website and terminate the subscription from there if you signed up prior to 3rd December 2020, but otherwise it’ll have to be the bye bye Direct Debit route. Which is not usually the method I like to recommend for fairly obvious reasons.

Apparently, they won’t cancel subscriptions over the phone or via email for “security reasons” which is a bit silly to me - LOADS of places will happily cancel subscriptions and accounts on the spot simply by contacting their support teams or customer service teams via email/phone/live chat or even by post. That’s what makes me think BP Pulse don’t care much about customer service or are too lazy to handle those queries. Oh well.

Anyway, if you do decide to cancel the subscription, please make sure to burn through any remaining credit first - apparently they’ll swallow all of it immediately and you can’t get a refund. So you’ll basically want to burn through as much of that as possible before cancelling!

If you decide that you’d like to have your account with BP Pulse completely wiped out after shutting off the subscription, feel free to ping an email to bpCMDataPrivacy@bp.com or send a letter to the address in the privacy notice. You can use your rights under GDPR to have the account terminated and wipe as much as possible off the system.

Have to say that the process for cancellation of BP Pulse is fine by me. Indeed I wish all contracts could be determined in the same manner, two minutes on my Bank App and that’s it. 
I don’t understand the advice:

"please make sure to burn through any remaining credit first - apparently they’ll swallow all of it immediately and you can’t get a refund. So you’ll basically want to burn through as much of that as possible before cancelling!”

A BP Pulse  monthly subscription of £7.95 is  not a credit. It is simply a payment to enable a member to use their chargers and obtain a charge from 10p/KWh which is paid for on a monthly account.

Userlevel 6
Badge +1

@Jess_OVO  The strangest thing to me with this tariff is that it’s a dual fuel only tariff. So electric vehicle drivers are doing there bit to #StopBurningStuff yet need to have a gas supply in order to get on this tariff!

Any explanation for this?!

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

I don't think i like this tarrif... it actually doesn't focus on EV at all... just an alleged cheaper elec and more pricy gas. Not convinced in the least. No "benefit beyond" a regular tarrif.

Userlevel 6
Badge +1

@Jequinlan I agree. 

I really want OVO to succeed, but this looks like a massive own goal. Once Robert and the Fully Charged team take a look at this they are likely to make the issue of it requiring gas. It does nothing to help OVO's zero carbon agenda and could make more people leave than it attracts. Bin it before it does more harm than good.

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Sadly I agree

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Ok, so rather than dismissing the current plan, I have been thinking as a community we should (quickly) suggest what we DO want:

Personally, my likes / needs would be:

• An Electric Tariff (where you can sign up to a gas plan separately, like octopus) 
  • A benefit specifically for EV users, therefore, as EV users need (ongoing I have to stress) :
    1. Discounted access to a cheaper public charging network (BP Pulse, Instavolt/Chargemap, Genie seem to be the big 3)
      100% green Electricity (howsoever derived, include trees as offset if needed)
  • Access to an Android Auto (AA) app (Ovo customers only) that has LIVE charger access (like Zapmap) but actually works in car sat nav (i.e. AA compliant).
  • Pricing that helps charge their car - I suggest given people want to charge cars at all sorts of time the following:​​​​​​​
    a) Regular (circa.16p/kwh) for the first N units per day based on avg consumption of a typical household, taking into account other measures such as solar ponels.
    b) a reduced tariff (circa 4.5p/Kwh) for units used above that.
    OR
    Time of use Tariff dropping to cheap rates
  • One off help setting up charging at home (discount to new charger)

Userlevel 6
Badge +1

Some interesting suggestions there @Jequinlan  especially the ideal of pricing based on the first N units per day.

I think the specific EV benefit is also key to set it apart from generic tariffs. I first switched to OVO because of the Chargemaster membership. It set the tariff apart from anything else on offer. Ionity offer preferential rates to several car manufacturers. I would think that there’s no reason why this couldn’t be extended to electricity suppliers, if that’s not already being done. This on-the-road benefit could offset any concerns that the home electricity price was not the absolute cheapest on the market.

Userlevel 5
Badge

Now I am not a lawyer, but my understanding of contract is pretty simple: you cancel a service by telling the company that you want to cancel. They can stipulate a notice period as long as it is reasonable, but they cannot stipulate a certain way to cancel. Your notice ends the meeting of minds and thus the contract. Whether they process the cancellation or not is their problem. 

So, just tell them you want to cancel, and end the direct debit. 

As for the tariff - that looks really good. I wish it had been available a few months earlier. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

It is tempting to suggest having flexible perks/benefits/gifts/rewards on the new OVO Drive tariff where you can pick and choose certain “bonus features” that make sense to you on the tariff and skip the rest that you don’t have any interest in. But I can already see the headaches that would cause. But I wanted that fourth bonus! Why I can’t I have all of them instead of just two? What about everyone else? We want these too!

All come to mind. I guess you could have them as optional add-ons though. MyOVO can support doing it that way from a technical perspective. The code to support that sort of thing already exists. :wink:

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

I also definitely agree with basically every comment in this thread from everyone. Thanks for sharing them all so far! I’m not going to mention anyone as I don’t want to cause too many notification floods. But just like Tim and Jess, I have read through the entire thread and have been keeping a very close eye on the entire discussion. If there’s any questions I can answer as a forum volunteer, I will continue to do so. :)

While I agree that OVO probably didn’t quite get OVO Drive perfect so far, it’s not too late for things to be fixed up and potentially it could still get turned into an improved OVO Drive V2 that everyone who signed up for OVO Drive V1 gets upgraded to automatically at no cost.

John’s mention of preferential pricing is something that I think will be part of the OVO Drive Anytime feature that’s available via OVO Drive for anyone who has the Kaluza Smart Charger, which is something that I think we can agree definitely partially satisfies that Wishlist item and I think OVO does special deals for EV Chargers anyway. It would be great to see more support for that though!

But of interest to me as a tech geek is John’s suggestion of an Android Auto app that would make it easier to find charge points. I wouldn’t recommend messing with Apple CarPlay because that thing is terrible, but Android Auto is apparently amazingly good - especially when used with apps that make the most of what it can do. I suspect John, you’re talking about something that’s similar to the really cool Supercharger locator thing on the Tesla sat-navs? You know, the one that can literally plan your entire route factoring in charging stops and advising on how long you’d need to stop at each Supercharger for? I suspect you mean something like that?

I love that idea myself. The way Tesla does it is apparently brilliant. OVO probably wouldn’t be able to make it quite as fancy as that - the automatic preconditioning thing is probably beyond what AA can do - but yeah, there’s definitely an idea that could come out of that. Might be best done as a separate app from the main OVO Energy app though, to avoid feature bloat and to prevent the main one becoming too complicated.

Userlevel 5
Badge +1

I’ve been an Ovo customer for nearly ten years and have had my EV since December. I’m on the Zero Carbon Heating Trial so I’m now all-electric but I see Ovo Drive is for dual fuel customers. What???

When I bought my EV I asked to go onto the EV Everywhere tariff and it was far more expensive than my Better Energy tariff so I changed back - and that screwed up my billing for months!

I didn’t know anything about Ovo Drive until yesterday when I stumbled across it when looking at the Offers page - but it appears I can’t change to it anyway. 

I have the SmartPro charger and the Kaluza app and charge in the early hours of the morning, so I don’t understand why this is.

Userlevel 7

Some really important points you’ve raised here, @Gingernut49 and understandably you’re keen to see why you’re not eligible for this new tariff.

I’ve taken this one to the team so will pop back once we get an update - Thanks for bearing with us! :slight_smile:

Userlevel 5
Badge +1

Some really important points you’ve raised here, @Gingernut49 and understandably you’re keen to see why you’re not eligible for this new tariff.

I’ve taken this one to the team so will pop back once we get an update - Thanks for bearing with us! :slight_smile:

I telephoned Ovo this morning and it’s cheaper for me to stay on the Better Energy tariff anyway. I generally only charge once a week, and the tariff for Ovo Drive is more expensive with a higher standing charge. That’s what happened to me when I changed to EV Everywhere - a much higher rate just to get BP Pulse which I doubt I’d ever use.

It would be much more competitive if Ovo lowered their EV rate to, say, 4p for charging. 13.5p is higher than many other ‘green’ energy companies charge.

Userlevel 5
Badge +1

Seeing this on the offer page again this morning: 

It isn’t the cheapest though, is it. My Better Energy tariff is 15.41p per Kilowatt hour and a standing charge of 22.16p per day. What is the Ovo Drive tariff, for comparison?

Userlevel 7

Well spotted, @Gingernut49 - sounds like you may be comparing the rates on your current Better Energy plan with those offered currently on OVO Drive.

As the energy prices have increased recently it’s likely that the Better Energy rates you were offered previously are more competitive than the rates on the same plan (or even our cheapest plan) offered today. I’m still waiting to hear back from the team about the compatibility of this plan with the ASHP trial so will be sure to update you once I know more. 

In terms of the current price on OVO Drive this does depend on your area, so if you are eligible it would be worth checking with the Support Team to find out the current OVO Drive rates in your area. 

Userlevel 7

Just wanted to pop back with an update from the team. In terms of eligibility for OVO Drive - unfortunately this is a dual fuel plan unless you’ve previously been on the EV Everywhere tariff - in which case we’d advise you to contact our Support Team if you’d like to renew onto this plan.

Appreciate this might not be the best option for you at the moment and will pass on your valuable feedback on to the team. :thumbsup:

Userlevel 5
Badge +1

So someone who is trying to be totally green and has moved to greener energy cannot benefit from cheaper energy. I only charge around once a week but if someone is charging each night I think they'll be looking elsewhere. 

There are many green energy companies out there and Ovo is now testing my loyalty. 

So whats happening with EV Everywhere ?

Will that be automatically cancelled as OVO are stopping that, and changed to OVO Drive.

Obvious question, surprised nothing on the forum about it.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Howdy @toad !

We do have one or two threads on here about OVO Drive, but we’ve not had much chance yet to create much content for it. Hopefully that will evolve over time.

As for your question, EV Everywhere is being replaced by OVO Drive, but existing members can continue to use EV Everywhere as-is for the remainder of the current contract. Once you come up for renewal, you’ll be able to renew onto OVO Drive with a special ability to have it as an Electric-Only tariff (usually it’s Dual-Fuel only), switch to another OVO tariff or switch supplier. If you don’t do anything before the contract expires though, you’ll move to the variable rate Simpler Energy tariff automatically.

I hope this helps.

Userlevel 7

Great to see some interest in the new OVO Drive tariff, @toad.

Whilst we don’t have a lot of questions asked yet, I’ve moved your post over to this introduction topic as there’s some great discussions and FAQs here. 

As our community volunteer, @Blastoise186 has already mentioned, your EV Everywhere tariff won’t automatically switch to OVO Drive but you’ll have the option to renew to this new plan at the end of your current contract. Check out more details of this new plan here.

We’d love to hear what you think of it!:red_car: