Solved

Why have my Vehicle-to-Grid (V2G) exports reduced recently?

• 14 June 2021
  • 5 replies

Anyone else experiencing reduced exports or is it just me?

Been on the trial since Jan 2020 with great results, exporting 450-500 KWh per month. 
Since June 1st my exports have reduced dramatically from the usual 15-18 KWh  per day to about 8 KWh.  

Car is plugged in, loads of battery  charge remaining, just exports not starting until around 1700 and stopping at 1930. Prior to this exports always started by 1600, often earlier and went on to 2130 or later. 

Is this a wider change or just an issue in my case?

icon

Best answer by Jess_OVO 15 June 2021, 12:07

Welcome back, @PurpleV8.

Such a drop to your V2G exports recently does seem odd - not sure if it can be fully explained by a reduced demand on the grid so it’s best to drop the Smart Home team an email (smarthome@ovoenergy.com) so they can do some investigations. 

Did you notice any seasonal changes to your exports last summer? 

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hiya @PurpleV8 ! Good choice of username there! :sunglasses:

Glad to hear you’re enjoying V2G, but yeah that does sound a little unusual. It could just be a case of not much energy being needed on the grid in your area right now, which is one possible explanation. After all, there’s not much point in pumping LEAF Juice onto the National Grid if no-one’s gonna use it and it simply gets pumped into someone else’s LEAF instead. There could be other reasons though. It could also be other stuff like Kaluza recognising that your LEAF doesn’t have enough spare charge to use for V2G at the right times and determines that it should just be left to recharge instead. But this one’s a new one for us iirc. However, you’re in luck. You’ve just met a puzzle solving forum volunteer. :wink:

Could you double check the Kaluza app for me, and just make sure all the schedules and charging limits are set to what they should be and what makes sense for your use case?

I don’t have the ability to reach out to the Kaluza teams directly, but I’ll call in @Jess_OVO as she has the right contacts for this sort of thing.

We’ll definitely try to help out with this if we can.

Hi Blastoise,

Thanks for the quick reply.

App settings are unchanged, charge range 25-90%, ready by 0900. 
Tonight exported only 7.KWh. Plugged in from 1530, export started at 1630 and finished at 1930 with 62% of a 62KWh battery remaining.

Any help will be much appreciated  

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hmm… Very unusual…

My only guess right now is that maybe there just hasn’t been much need for your V2G Exports recently? I wonder if people have suddenly stopped boiling the kettles in the evening? :joy:

But yeah… That is a little strange for your Site to have plummeted so much. Does your LEAF show any signs of battery issues, such as warnings on the computer or sudden battery dropouts?

Userlevel 7

Welcome back, @PurpleV8.

Such a drop to your V2G exports recently does seem odd - not sure if it can be fully explained by a reduced demand on the grid so it’s best to drop the Smart Home team an email (smarthome@ovoenergy.com) so they can do some investigations. 

Did you notice any seasonal changes to your exports last summer? 

Userlevel 7

What was the verdict on this one, @PurpleV8?