Solved

What's the max amp charge rate of the Kaluza EV smart + charger?

Userlevel 4
Badge

Have a bug with my kaluza smart + charger where it will only go up to 31 amps even in boost mode instead of up to 32 amps. Anyone else have this?

It did keep tripping the 32amp breaker when charging every so often even when turned down to 29 amps so they changed the breaker to a combined 40 amp unit this week.

Hopefully I'm not just unlucky as the exact same unit I had before that died about 2 years ago which they had the replace

Can I also permanently disable smart charge mode so it only charges at the max charge rate when plugged in?

icon

Best answer by Tim_OVO 22 April 2021, 18:11

View original

14 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

That’s a bit of a tricky one there! I don’t have an EV myself, so I can’t answer this one.

Hang in there though, perhaps some of our resident EV gurus such as @NinjaGeek or @Jequinlan might know the answer.

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Thanks for the tag @Blastoise186 

Unfortunately, I do not have the OVO smart charger. I really wish I got on this opportunity at the time. I have recently had to replace my charger from Pod Point to Rolec due to my Pod point one dying on me. I am trying to remember which one of us has the Smart charger.

@Tim_OVO Anyone spring to mind who has the smart charger who may be able to help?

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Ahh… That might be a slight problem…

I don’t think we’ve got many members on the forum who also happen to have the Kaluza Smart Charger. There’s been a few members who asked about them, but they didn’t confirm whether they went ahead or not. And I can’t ask anyone who had the V2G Charger instead as that’s a different story.

This might need some extra help...

Userlevel 4
Badge

Unfortunately, I do not have the OVO smart charger. I really wish I got on this opportunity at the time. I have recently had to replace my charger from Pod Point to Rolec due to my Pod point one dying on me. I am trying to remember which one of us has the Smart charger.

Just out of interest @NinjaGeek what was wrong with your pod point one and wasn't it covered under warranty?

My parents have a pod point installed recently so can keep an eye out if it causes them any issues

Userlevel 4
Badge

@Tim_OVO 

Did you manage to ask the OVO team for any updates on this please?

Userlevel 7

Hi @rajan yep sorry it’s taking longer to get a full response to you then I had hoped. 

We’re breaking this down into 3:

1. Why does the charger go up to only 31 A even in boost mode (i.e. why does it never report beyond 32A) - The charger will be limited to 30.2A after it connects to Kaluza when charging without boost. When boosting it will go to 32A. You might only see 31A if the CT clamp on the charger is miscalibrated slightly.
  2. Can the smart charger charge closer to 32 A and not at 29 A? - We’re looking into whether or not Kaluza might be able to send 40A by default. It will take some time before we have a fix but the team are currently investigating potential solutions.
  3. Can I permanently disable smart charge mode? It’s possible, by placing the charger into a ‘Troubleshooting’ setting. It’s not recommended though, could you let us know why you’d want to be able to make this permanent change?
Userlevel 7

Hi Rajan, I’ve edited the comment above this, and I’ll be back with more info once Indra have had a chance to respond. For now I’ll make that comment above as the ‘best answer’. :) 

Userlevel 4
Badge

Any updates yet @Tim_OVO ?

Userlevel 7

yes @tesla_model_3 I chased this up on Wednesday and have got more info. Please see the updated ‘best answer’ to this topic!

Userlevel 4
Badge

Hi @Tim_OVO  good to know it can go up to 32A but I'm seeing a max of only 31A in the car and also in the app.

How would I get the full 32A?

Userlevel 7

Hi @Tim_OVO  good to know it can go up to 32A but I'm seeing a max of only 31A in the car and also in the app.

How would I get the full 32A?

Hi hi hi @tesla_model_3 

I was waiting to get more info before replying. 

I’m told there is a way for customers to force a calibration. I’ll be posting here once I’ve been sent the info in a format I can access. In the meantime if any other smart charger pro owners know this, we’d welcome your input! 

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

@Tim_OVOwrote:

We’re looking into whether or not Kaluza might be able to send 40A by default.

Such an alteration would be subject to agreement with your Distribution Network Operator (DNO), and would also need verifying by a local electrician. There are two separate issues here:

1: The DNO must receive a request from the Installer for any hard-wired device which is rated above 16A. This would usually be a Heat pump or an EV charger.

They will assess the loading factor on your local sub-station and the feed cable which links you to it.

If there is insufficient capacity they may request a contribution towards network enhancement. The rules for this are subject to regulation by Ofgem and would typically involve a payment between £1000 - £3000.

2: The DNO are responsible for the Service Fuse at your house, which is usually rated 100A.

This is often not enough to run everything in house simultaneously. But electricians use a well-established diversification factor when dividing your internal supplies into separate circuits.

Nevertheless, as the UK moves further towards Zero-Carbon heating systems, there will be more houses where the 100A fuse is clearly insufficient. Typically you can envisage an EV charger operating at 7kW (32A) together with an electric shower (30-40A) and then someone wants to use a 3kW kettle (12A) and a microwave (4A) at the same time.

Houses which electricians find in this situation are too close to the 100A limit, and will be advised to request a 3-phase supply from their DNO.

If Kaluza offer to increase the power of their chargers above 7kW, then it’s much more likely that DNOs will insist that these can only be installed in houses with 3-phase supplies. The Electricity Networks Association maintains a database of all heavy-load domestic devices which are approved for use in the UK, and a higher-spec charger from Indra/Kaluza will be given a separate record.

Userlevel 7

Great points, @Transparent - and we’ll be working together to make a resource to advise home owners of DNO certification requirements soon. It’s complex!

1: The DNO must receive a request from the Installer for any hard-wired device which is rated above 16A. This would usually be a Heat pump or an EV charger.

They will assess the loading factor on your local sub-station and the feed cable which links you to it.

If there is insufficient capacity they may request a contribution towards network enhancement. The rules for this are subject to regulation by Ofgem and would typically involve a payment between £1000 - £3000.

This would’ve been done during the installation of the smart charger pro, I’d assume....@tesla_model_3  

As for CT Clamp calibration, I’ve been advised that:

‘If the consumption figures appear to be incorrect by a certain factor or erratic then the house CT clamp may need to be re-calibrated.

Follow these steps to ensure the SC can re-calibrate.

1. Ensure an EV is available with SoC below 80% and it is able to accept charge
  2. Ensure a RBT is set for the next morning
  3. Disconnect the SC from the EV
  4. Turn the SC off at the RCD for 30 minutes
  5. Turn the SC back on and allow to boot up for 10 minutes
  6. Plug the SC into the EV and leave it alone
  7. CUSTOMER MUST NOT BOOST
  8. SC will recalibrate before the RBT that has been set
Userlevel 7
Badge +5

This would’ve been done during the installation of the smart charger pro, I’d assume

No, I doubt it.

Almost all single-phase EV chargers operate at 7kW. That’s what the DNO would’ve been told at the time.

Changing the breaker to one rated at 40A makes no difference to the current being drawn because it’s the same charger with the same spec.

But if Indra/Kaluza change the spec to offer a version which actually takes 40A (9.2kW) then that’s a different model. It will be added to the ENA database and the Installer will make a fresh application for that upgraded version.

I am indeed working on getting all this written into a Tutorial. But first I’m awaiting responses from some high level engineers to ensure the information we publish is correct!