Solved

Vehicle-to-grid (V2G) - Is this still offered by OVO and compatible with a BMW i3?

• 27 May 2021
  • 7 replies

I am interested in joining OVO but only if V2G is possible. Is there any way of finding out when the V2G scheme will be available for other EV cars? Techie question: Is the vehicle to grid routed through the inverter, or via the meter? 

Loads more questions but I am “sold” on Getting Greener and I love innovative companies like OVO.

icon

Best answer by Jequinlan 28 May 2021, 10:01

Hi @derekjthorpe and Welcome to the OVO online community!

Great news that you’re planning on getting a new EV - you might want to check out what other EV owners had to say about how they chose the car for them:

Our V2G trial is no longer accepting new participants, however we are about to launch a new plan exclusively for EV owners - OVO Drive.

Great techie question as well, wonder if any of our current V2G users might be able to help with this one - @Jequinlan@sylm_2000@D10hul?

There are limited cars that can work with v2g due to the need for a chademo charger port on the car and a sufficiently big battery to make it useful. Most newer cars sadly have the ccs charging standard instead 

View original

7 replies

Userlevel 7

Hi @derekjthorpe and Welcome to the OVO online community!

Great news that you’re planning on getting a new EV - you might want to check out what other EV owners had to say about how they chose the car for them:

Our V2G trial is no longer accepting new participants, however we are about to launch a new plan exclusively for EV owners - OVO Drive.

Great techie question as well, wonder if any of our current V2G users might be able to help with this one - @Jequinlan, @sylm_2000, @D10hul?

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Hi @derekjthorpe and Welcome to the OVO online community!

Great techie question as well, wonder if any of our current V2G users might be able to help with this one - @Jequinlan@sylm_2000@D10hul?

There are limited cars that can work with v2g due to the need for a chademo charger port on the car and a sufficiently big battery to make it useful. Most newer cars sadly have the ccs charging standard instead 

Userlevel 6
Badge +1

@derekjthorpe - good call to join the EV. Like many on this forum, I have been driving EV for over 6+ years and been part of the V2G trial since last year. I wouldn’t base my decision to purchase EV on the basis of V2G as the choice, price and benefits (from V2G) wouldn’t match up. However, if you happen to have a Nissan Leaf then yes highly recommended. 

Just yesterday I received delivery of my Nissan e+ Tekna 64kW battery which is a massive upgrade to the 24kW Gen 2 Leaf we had for the last 6 years and clocked 34k miles of local travel (now available for sale on Autotrader). I now expect to take more advantage of the V2G charger.

Is the need for a chademo charger port on the car, just for Ovo Energy? It seems certain, at least in the US that “With the release of charging specifications for the Ariya electric crossover, Nissan effectively put CHAdeMO on notice.”. CCS-format DC fast charging is possibly the way to go. Also “The CCS network is expanding far faster than CHAdeMO—and really, it's the only way to go in the U.S. for charging beyond 100 kw. Meanwhile CharIN, the organization coordinating more than 150 companies and interests in the CCS standard, last year released a roadmap that assures bi-directional CCS charging by 2025.”.  - But I don’t like that CCS isn’t scheduled for bi-directional charging until 2025 !!! Is this right in UK?

Also most cars have more than 20kw batteries. Buying storeage batteries, for the home/garage is expensive and they are still only around 12kWh in size. Half that of very small cars.

Userlevel 5
Badge

CharIN, the organization coordinating more than 150 companies and interests in the CCS standard, last year released a roadmap that assures bi-directional CCS charging by 2025.”.  - But I don’t like that CCS isn’t scheduled for bi-directional charging until 2025 !!! Is this right in UK?

It is an international standard, so yes, this does affect the UK. The window for V2G seems to be closing for a while, which is pathetic. Japan is at least a decade ahead of everybody else. 

Yes the worldwide standard seems to be becoming CCS not chademo charger. But I’m sure there will be tremendous pressure from the public to make it V2G, so we can use our car batteries to run household at night, or no sun. Surplus will go back to the grid.

That alone will give Governments a strong reason to make V2G come much sooner. Imagine 100,000’s cars supplying the grid at peak times, and recharging offpeak at night, or using solar power.