Solved

OVO Drive Anytime - What's it all about?

• 28 January 2021
  • 28 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge

I saw this in the Guardian. It looks like a tariff worth signing up for. Can existing members switch to this tariff and when will this go live?

icon

Best answer by Tim_OVO 29 January 2021, 10:32

Updated on 23/08/21 by Tim_OVO:

Good question, @Andras - we’ve taken some key bits of info from the OVO Drive + Anywhere add on page, which can be found here. I’d recommend heading to that page as it’s packed with FAQs, and come back hear to post your question to the community! 

What is the OVO Drive Anytime add on?

Pay just 5p/kWh to smart charge your EV

If you’re on the OVO Drive plan, try Anytime, the add-on with a super-low charging rate any time you smart charge your car.

• Pay just 5p/kWh whenever you smart charge your EV
  • Need your car in a hurry? Boost charge it on your standard OVO Drive rate (your current OVO Drive rate can be found here)
  • Keep paying your current OVO Drive rate for your home energy use

As you might’ve guessed, to get the Anytime add on, you'll need to be on the OVO Drive plan, and have a compatible EV charger (if you have a V2G charger, see this thread) and smart meter. You’ll also need to be ok with your smart meter sharing half-hourly readings with us.

Here’s how Anytime works

It’s all down to your EV charger.

This clever bit of tech will give you personalised insights about your charging habits, and tell us exactly how much of your electricity was used to smart charge your car.

We then use this info to give you Anytime Charging Credits each month – which means that your total bill will always reflect a smart-charging rate of just 5p/kWh.

You can find out all about Anytime Charging Credits here.

Add Anytime in no time

1. Sign up to OVO Drive (if you haven’t already)
  2. Choose the Anytime add-on in offers
  3. Connect your EV charger to your OVO account

OVO Drive + Anywhere add on page and FAQs here.

Post your comment below to ask the community a question about this exciting add on! 

View original

28 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge

It does sound really competitive, but it seems that you need a special charger from Kaluza. I can imagine that this is going to be quite an obstacle for people, especially if they already have a charger. 

Userlevel 5
Badge

Hi @MrPuds , I do have their smart charger. I am still on a trial which will end in October, but I did sign up for the Ev everywhere tariff  (2 year contract).

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

This new Drive Anytime tariff sounds like it might be the evolved form of the V2G Trial, but I don’t have any details on it myself beyond what you guys can read in the media.

Certainly the details seem similar...

Userlevel 7

Updated on 23/08/21 by Tim_OVO:

Good question, @Andras - we’ve taken some key bits of info from the OVO Drive + Anywhere add on page, which can be found here. I’d recommend heading to that page as it’s packed with FAQs, and come back hear to post your question to the community! 

What is the OVO Drive Anytime add on?

Pay just 5p/kWh to smart charge your EV

If you’re on the OVO Drive plan, try Anytime, the add-on with a super-low charging rate any time you smart charge your car.

• Pay just 5p/kWh whenever you smart charge your EV
  • Need your car in a hurry? Boost charge it on your standard OVO Drive rate (your current OVO Drive rate can be found here)
  • Keep paying your current OVO Drive rate for your home energy use

As you might’ve guessed, to get the Anytime add on, you'll need to be on the OVO Drive plan, and have a compatible EV charger (if you have a V2G charger, see this thread) and smart meter. You’ll also need to be ok with your smart meter sharing half-hourly readings with us.

Here’s how Anytime works

It’s all down to your EV charger.

This clever bit of tech will give you personalised insights about your charging habits, and tell us exactly how much of your electricity was used to smart charge your car.

We then use this info to give you Anytime Charging Credits each month – which means that your total bill will always reflect a smart-charging rate of just 5p/kWh.

You can find out all about Anytime Charging Credits here.

Add Anytime in no time

1. Sign up to OVO Drive (if you haven’t already)
  2. Choose the Anytime add-on in offers
  3. Connect your EV charger to your OVO account

OVO Drive + Anywhere add on page and FAQs here.

Post your comment below to ask the community a question about this exciting add on! 

Userlevel 5
Badge

Thank you @Tim_OVO for your answer. You did not mention V2G, is it part of the package?

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hi @Andras ,

I just had a look at that actually. According to the main website, OVO’s Drive Anytime Trial isn’t open to V2G Trialists right now (you’d also need the Smart Charger for this one, rather than the V2G Charger), but it’s possible that you might be able to get it in the future.

Userlevel 5
Badge

Thanks @Blastoise186 , it would be nice if the trialists V2G chargers would be compatible with this tariff in the future. I am wondering if these new smart chargers are capable for V2G, they look a lot smaller.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

You might think that!

I think the Smart Chargers are smaller because they don’t have the added V2G features of the V2G Charger, but are probably fairly similar otherwise. So while I would imagine that both models probably would be compatible with and capable of being used for something like Drive Anytime, only the V2G Charger can do V2G magic.

It would be interesting to see an all-in-one though!

Userlevel 5
Badge

This new Drive Anytime tariff sounds like it might be the evolved form of the V2G Trial, but I don’t have any details on it myself beyond what you guys can read in the media.

Certainly the details seem similar...

Yes, it uses the same Kaluza platform, it uses the same billing mechanism on the OVO side, and it has a very similar tariff structure. But the charger is different. 

And I heard that the V2G charger is not suitable for Drive Anytime because it does not have a calibrated measurement of charging power. 

Userlevel 5
Badge

Yes the article explains the new tariff and mentions this: 

Instead Ovo’s “type of use” tariff will be less than half the typical rate from rival suppliers – without limiting the times when customers can charge – by automatically charging vehicles when prices are low. When prices are high, energy could be drawn back into the grid from the batteries of electric vehicles sitting idle.

So we may benefit this one day 🤞

Userlevel 2

Any update on this tariff coming for everyone and and chance of ‘special’ price for existing customers who would need to replace their existing charger? :D

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hiya @stead !

I don't have any further details handy right now and I think the trial is currently still ongoing.

However, we'll probably know more soon after the trial finishes. Watch this space!

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

In actual fact, I have good news for ya @stead and I think you’ll like this in more than one way.

Upon further review, I’ve just noticed that the trial is now accepting new registrations of interest, which suggests a Stage 2 trial might be on the way. I can’t promise that it’d mean anything, but you never know. Check it out at the link below!

https://www.ovoenergy.com/electric-cars/0v0-dr1v3-fl3x-3n3rgy-pl4n-tr14l

And yes, this really is the link! :rofl:

Userlevel 7

Today’s the day that the OVO Drive + Anytime add on went live.

I’m keen to hear which community members are in a position to consider this…

A quick reminder on eligibility: 

To get the Anytime add-on, you'll need to be on the OVO Drive plan, and have a compatible EV charger and smart meter. You’ll also need to be ok with your smart meter sharing half-hourly readings with us.

@juliamc @Gingernut49 I can’t remember what chargers you’ve called out as having now - are you eligible? 

Userlevel 5
Badge +1

I have the tethered SmartPro charger which is a Kaluza app. So I hope I'm eligible: but only if it saves me money. Generally I only charge once a week. Currently my tariff is 15.41p/kWh on Better Energy and my contract finishes 16th October. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

I have the tethered SmartPro charger which is a Kaluza app. So I hope I'm eligible: but only if it saves me money. Generally I only charge once a week. Currently my tariff is 15.41p/kWh on Better Energy and my contract finishes 16th October. 

:tada:

That should do the trick nicely. OVO Drive Anytime is designed to work with the Kaluza/Indra Smart Pro so this should definitely be compatible. Enjoy!

Userlevel 5
Badge +1

I'm not interested unless it'll save me money. When I got my car I changed to the previous Ovo EV tariff and it went up to over 17p/kWh and there was no benefit at all. (BP Pulse but I charge at home.) So I changed back and Ovo screwed up all my previous bills. So now I've no way of being able to check how my new air source heat pump system compares with my previous gas heating. 😒 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

That’s fair enough. The best thing I’d say then is to get renewal quotes for both OVO Drive (with and without the Anytime add-on) as well as OVO’s regular tariffs. That should make things a little easier for you. You can’t compare the prices against what you currently have though, since that would skew the outcome.

If you’re charging up your car at home a lot, there’s a fairly good chance you’ll be able to take advantage of the ultra cheap rate to help offset your ASHP costs.

Userlevel 5
Badge +1

Of course.

I only tend to charge my car once a week so I need a cheap tariff.

Userlevel 6
Badge +1

@Tim_OVO We have a Pod Point charger which isn’t compatible. I’m been on EV Everywhere since Feb 2020, 16.24p per kWh. charging the car approx 120 kWh per month. so it’s not costing us enough to consider changing the charger.

Userlevel 2

Thought i’d already replied, but guess not!

we have a non smart pod point charger from 2016, seems like a lot of expense to replace something  that is working just fine :|  Considering wiring is all in place feels like a lot of money to just swap a charger, tis tempting, but unless we know the tariff will be around for a long time doesn’t seem worth it yet. Be nice if there was a way using the  half hour readings from the smart meter to guesstimate ev charging, although I suppose that could be open to abuse.

Thank you for the mention though, have already switched to the new drive tariff, bit miffed by no longer bundling in the bp pulse subscription as the slightly cheaper energy rate seems to be offset by the cost of the subscription although think we’ll just cancel it as only used it once or twice a month and recently for us the chargers we did use are more frequently out of action anyway  

Userlevel 6
Badge +1

When you say non smart pod point @stead do you mean you can’t use the Pod Point app ? We got ours in 2020 and have linked it to the app. That gives stats for each charge and totals for weekly and monthly usage, as well as setting charge time schedules. Our Peugeot e208 is the GT Line so not clever enough to set up a delayed charge from the car. I have to thank @Blastoise186 for help with the app there !

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Yeah, I’ve heard that BP Pulse chargers have been getting more unreliable since BP took over Chargemaster. It almost seems as if they’re no longer being maintained properly for some reason. But I don’t know much about that. It’s also a bit overpriced anyway. :(

Userlevel 2

@juliamc  ours is pre app! we had it in 2016, part of me likes that its more of a dumb charger so it ‘should’ just work with any car.

I’ve checked with pod point and they are happy to upgrade our charger, although considering its just unbolting the old one and replacing it with a new one that connects online seems a lot of money for no real benefit, been looking into it more because of these tariff’s that work with smart chargers but seems every supplier seems to only work with a select few chargers, happy to upgrade it one day knowing if I switch supplier I can still use it for the perks otherwise seems a lot of money to be tied in

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

That would be a very nice feature to have! Unfortunately, it’s just not there yet but I wouldn’t be surprised if it became possible in the future.

MyOVO is built by Kaluza though with the intention of making the underlying platform available to other suppliers (but without the branding, obviously). In theory, that could allow the Kaluza SmartPro EV Charger to be used with other suppliers in the future without issue. But at the moment, OVO is the only one.