My experience of Electric (EV) Cars - A Canada/UK charging network comparison

• 4 October 2021
  • 3 replies

My son lives in Vancouver Canada and when we visit he usually has a car for us to run around in, last time we went it was a Tesla, now in Vancouver they are geared up for Electric Vehicles there are charging points everywhere and lots of them and best of all they are FREE.

They must be 20/30 years ahead of us and whilst you are in Vancouver they are great, but Canada is a big country with a relatively small population and they also have Petrol/diesel cars in case they need to go anywhere out of town.

I used an electric vehicle in the UK two months ago, it is a nightmare, different companies running the charging points, it cost more to charge up on the services than petrol, and it takes hours, plus there may not even be a charging point or it is out of order or being used.

Great in theory or if you go home every evening, or have a backup car to go places.

3 replies

Userlevel 7

Hi @Geoff Dickson - and welcome to the OVO online community,

Really interesting to hear of your experience driving an electric car (EV) in Canada and how this compares to the charging network in the UK..

We’ve got plenty of active EV users here, check out the advice they’ve shared on taking long EV trips in the UK:

Seems that the key top tip is plenty of preparation, isn’t that right - @Jequinlan?

That said I wonder if the future of the charging network would be getting to a situation where less pre-planning is required, much like you’ve seen in Canada. I know @sylm_2000 has taken some long trips in mainland Europe - how does their charging network compare to ours? :blue_car:

I used to drive to Poland a lot before I retired could do it from South Yorkshire to Bydgoszcz in 18 hours, leaving at 3am and arriving at 9pm, could not do it in an EV vehicle in under 72 hours, now that’s not progress I know it needs organisational planning and saving the planet but at 76 I don’t have so many hours left, time is of the essence. 

Userlevel 7

I used to drive to Poland a lot before I retired could do it from South Yorkshire to Bydgoszcz in 18 hours, leaving at 3am and arriving at 9pm, could not do it in an EV vehicle in under 72 hours, now that’s not progress I know it needs organisational planning and saving the planet but at 76 I don’t have so many hours left, time is of the essence. 

That must’ve been a brutal 18 hours though, @Geoff Dickson. Didn’t you stop for a break at all? 

If you did stop for a break, and hypothetically, you drove an EV and stopped where there’s a rapid charger, you’ll be juiced up and ready to roll again without any time added. Perhaps...

Interestingly here’s a thread from @Leo Moran which discusses if people actually need to use public charging points that often:

Might be worth a look, we’d hate you to be put off EVs indefinitely…