Solved

Is a Smart Meter required for OVO Drive Anytime?

• 13 September 2021
  • 5 replies

Hi all.

Thinking of switching to Ovo’s flat rate EV tariff with the 5p/kwh offer - does it require a smart meter to be installed and will that meter be a gen2?

Thanks, David

icon

Best answer by Blastoise186 13 September 2021, 19:02

View original

5 replies

Duly clicked the ‘Best Answer’ button for Blastoise (thanks, btw) - looks like I’ll need to go with another provider though as it’s not worth me installing a second charge point just for this, bit of a shame.

Userlevel 7

Great to see that our community volunteer, @Blastoise186 has already provided some tip-top advice on this one:

I believe you do need a Smart Meter for the Drive Anytime add-on though and this is what gets the 5p/kWh rate. You’ll also need a compatible charger as well, which is the Kaluza/Indra Smart Pro. But for regular OVO Drive without Drive Anytime, any meter that’s already installed should be fine. :)

Think that’s worthy of some ‘Best Answer’ points, @elmariachi ?

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

I’ve double checked the FAQ on the main site and nope, you don’t need a working Smart Meter for vanilla OVO Drive…. I believe you do need a Smart Meter for the Drive Anytime add-on though and this is what gets the 5p/kWh rate. You’ll also need a compatible charger as well, which is the Kaluza/Indra Smart Pro. But for regular OVO Drive without Drive Anytime, any meter that’s already installed should be fine. :)

No worries. Glad to help!

And yup, that’s right. Your Hypervolt charger unfortunately isn’t compatible with the Drive Anytime add-on at this time, so you’d have to have a Kaluza Smart Pro installed as well to take advantage of the 5p rate. You can definitely keep the Hypervolt one and use both (probably best not to charge two cars at the exact same time!) - but only the Smart Pro would get this rate. OVO would also be happy to fit Smart Meters as well free of charge, no matter which tariff you’re on.

I hope you’re OK with being informed upfront. :sunglasses: I’d much rather you know what you’re signing up for before you signed on the dotted line after all!

I’ll also leave this here for you as well, so you can take a look.

https://www.ovoenergy.com/electric-cars/anytime

Ah, so I guess i’d be after the ‘Drive Anytime’ tariff to be able to charge at any point during the day for 5p rate?

I don’t have a smart meter and I have a Hypervolt charger installed,.

Thanks for the reply!

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hey there @elmariachi !

Thanks for asking this one. I’ve double checked the FAQ on the main site and nope, you don’t need a working Smart Meter for vanilla OVO Drive. If you already have one, I can definitely advise on whether it’ll work with OVO so please feel free to share some snaps of your meters in your next reply and I’ll see what you’ve got.

I believe you do need a Smart Meter for the Drive Anytime add-on though and this is what gets the 5p/kWh rate. You’ll also need a compatible charger as well, which is the Kaluza/Indra Smart Pro. But for regular OVO Drive without Drive Anytime, any meter that’s already installed should be fine. :)