Solved

How much will it cost to go to smart charging?

• 21 September 2021
  • 12 replies

Having moved to an all-electric car a year ago, thanks to its great range we only need to charge it about once a fortnight, so making use of a smart-charge system would be easy as we rarely need to charge it with any urgency. 

However, our early adoption of a smart meter (its serial no. starts with 17P) implies it’s not smart enough (it’s not 19P...) and our Chargemaster 7kW home charger presumably isn’t ‘smart’ either?

So if we’d have to replace both the meter and the charger, how much is that going to cost please? 

icon

Best answer by Jess_OVO 22 September 2021, 12:42

View original

12 replies

Userlevel 7

Hi @Hairy Animal (great username there!)

Welcome to the OVO online community - great first question to ask about upgrading your EV home charger to a smart charger.

Worth mentioning that it sounds like you’ve got a Secure Liberty smart meter there - these SMETS 1 meters are the type that OVO installed so we’re able to communicate with them and all SMETS 1 meters are currently being remotely upgraded to allow them to communicate with all suppliers (read more about this here), meaning you won’t need to worry about getting the meter replaced. 

If you’re an OVO member, check out the exclusive offers we’ve got on smart chargers here - if you opt for the Indra Smart Pro charger you may also be able to access our great OVO Drive tariff and Anytime add-on (current energy market conditions allowing).

If you’re keen to hear what it’s like to use a smart charger - we’ve got a few community members with these type of chargers who may be able to give us a bit more insider info.

@tesla_model_3@Gingernut49@ArundaleP - How have you found the usability of your charger and accompanying apps?

Would you recommend an upgrade from a non-smart EV charger?

I like the Indra smart charger, it’s very sleek and is extremely simple to use. The user interface of the software is simple and has been trouble free since installation a year ago. 
Do look at tariffs because I suspect your EV will be your largest consumer of electricity and big savings can be made if you find a specific EV tariff that matches your potential consumption patterns.

Userlevel 4
Badge

Having moved to an all-electric car a year ago, thanks to its great range we only need to charge it about once a fortnight, so making use of a smart-charge system would be easy as we rarely need to charge it with any urgency. 

However, our early adoption of a smart meter (its serial no. starts with 17P) implies it’s not smart enough (it’s not 19P...) and our Chargemaster 7kW home charger presumably isn’t ‘smart’ either?

So if we’d have to replace both the meter and the charger, how much is that going to cost please? 

Possibly not in the spirit of this forum but if you move to a fixed time tarrif such as octopus go you get very cheap electric between 00:30-04:30 and I just set in my car to start charging at this time which means you don't need to have a smart charger.

I also have a smets 1 meter which works with octopus

Here's a referral link as well if you're interested :-)

**edited by moderator**

Userlevel 5
Badge +1

I’ve had my Nissan Leaf 40 Tekna since December and my SmartPro charger was installed in March. It’s absolutely superb! I set the Kaluza app on my phone so the car is fully charged by 7am (later at weekends) and it charges in the wee small hours. It currently costs me about £5 to fully charge it to about 160 miles and I usually only have to charge it once a week unless I have a longer journey. I’m a volunteer driver, taking people to appointments.

I’ve now signed up for the Ovo Drive tariff which starts 16th October and will then apply for the Drive + Anytime, but I can’t see I’ll often have to charge during the day. I like the sound of 5p per kWh whilst charging!

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

@tesla_model_3wrote:

… you don't need to have a smart charger

That won’t be true for much longer!

Have a look at this recent topic on Government Strategy for Smart Charging.

Nor will it be the case that Octopus or any other Energy Supplier will continue to offer cheap(er) electricity at night. As the number of EVs rapidly increases, this will become a peak-time slot!

Userlevel 4
Badge

@tesla_model_3wrote:

Nor will it be the case that Octopus or any other Energy Supplier will continue to offer cheap(er) electricity at night. As the number of EVs rapidly increases, this will become a peak-time slot!

Not sure I agree. That's only for future ev power points and not what's currently out there.

Overnight will always be cheaper than evening due to demand when people are at home, otherwise people will just charge their cars as soon as they get home

Userlevel 6
Badge +1

The government are not yet ruling out the role of smart technologies within cars although clearly their current focus is on smart chargers. This is from the recent paper. 

----

Although the AEVA applies to smart chargepoints only, Chapter 3 of the consultation on long-term solutions for smart charging asked respondents for views on smart charging where the smart functionality is within the vehicle, rather than the chargepoint. Respondents had mixed views citing some barriers to smart charging via the EV but noted that it could be a simpler where EVs already contain the technology required. Government will continue to explore the potential of smart charging delivered by the vehicle, to understand whether further measures may be necessary, in line with the principles outlined in our 2019 consultation.

------

Userlevel 6
Badge +1

@tesla_model_3wrote:

Not sure I agree. That's only for future ev power points and not what's currently out there.

Overnight will always be cheaper than evening due to demand when people are at home, otherwise people will just charge their cars as soon as they get home

This is what the government paper says about shifting demand via smart charging. Be interesting to see how long simple cheap overnight EV tariffs remain available?

-----

EV smart charging involves shifting charging to a different time of day, such as overnight when there is lower demand on the electricity system, or to times of high renewable energy generation.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

@tesla_model_3wrote:

That's only for future ev power points and not what's currently out there.

The physics suggests otherwise.

Whether a charger already exists or not, there are limitations on:

• the capacity of underground feed cables. These have been allowed to get hot during the evening-peak due to them cooling down during the rest of the night. That will no longer be the case as EV chargers keep the current high
  • losses at the substation transformers due to phase-imbalance and harmonics imposed by single-phase domestic loads

I see from your Forum Profile that you live in the South-East where there is much less renewable generation. In other parts of GB the availability of ‘cheap’ plentiful electricity fluctuates according to weather conditions and tides. So most of the country will be offered cheaper EV charging times according to those factors, rather than a fixed time on the clock.

We must move towards genuine ‘Smart’ charging rather than scheduled time-slots.

Userlevel 5
Badge +2

I like the Indra smart charger, it’s very sleek and is extremely simple to use. The user interface of the software is simple and has been trouble free since installation a year ago. 
Do look at tariffs because I suspect your EV will be your largest consumer of electricity and big savings can be made if you find a specific EV tariff that matches your potential consumption patterns.

I will wait for 1 year more as seeing lot of instability in EV batteries. Its better to wait rather than hurrying up making huge investment on cars and then keep on running here and there for small issues. Its wise to settle down the things then act accordingly.

Userlevel 4
Badge

If anybody else wants to split £100 and move to octopus send me a private message :-)

They have octopus go fixed time based and also octopus agile which is dynamic time based tarrifs

Userlevel 7

Some great advice from our community members there, @Hairy Animal. Particularly @ArundaleP’s review of the Indra smart charger:

Has this helped in your decision-making? :slight_smile: